The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ne titillaveritis draconem dormientem umquam :beard:
Reply 2261
Original post by medbh4805
yeah Óglaigh na hÉireann (worked out how to do fadas on this thing :smug: ) is used to refer to many groups

the armed forces (collectively) of the Republic of Ireland

as a Gaelic name for the various incarnations of the IRA

as a name for a particular contempory dissident branch who reject the peace process

Context is everything!

Ah, I only know it from daft flags people hold up over Celtic Park!

(O btw how do I quote more than one poster, so I stop double posting)
Original post by such_a_lady
I'm sure it's Nunquam Titillandus...

oh I see they used the gerundive

never mind :getmecoat:
Original post by candide

Those people are clearly bellends :colonhash:
Original post by candide

To the right of the quote button there's a speech bubble with a + sign. :biggrin: click on each post to multiquote
Reply 2265
Those people are clearly bellends :colonhash:

Agreed. Last season we had letter bombs, assaults on managers, post-match mass arrests. It has nothing do with religion or Irish politics - just tribalism and deprivation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Haha you'll probably bump into both Sven AND Chiara as we've decided to stick together throughout the day. If you see a small dark haired girl and a tall blond boy talking in German, that's probably us :biggrin: Come and say hi!

Found out last night that it's going to be RAINING on Wednesday :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown: Now what? :frown:

What else is everyone doing after the main college events end? I was hoping to go out and about around Oxford but that is so much effort in the rain....

I'm so excited, though.

>tall blonde german boy

not gonna lie, i am a teensy bit jealous, not that your company wouldn't be awesome also (with a name like chiara how can you not be awesome?)
Original post by candide
Out on the islands, despite having had no contact with Ireland since the time of St Columba, a large number of people have actually claimed the Irish conflict as there own. There's a sharp north/south line dividing the Catholics from the Protestants in the Western Isles (an accident of history, my southern isles where never touched by the Reformation). So that line translates into a sharp Celtic/Rangers divide in spite of none of us being connected with the Glasgow Irish. So there is lots of IRA graffiti all over the school, and up until 3 or 4 years ago the buses going north would have people flaunting Rangers flags at the south going buses, and the buses going south would brandish IRA/Celtic flags at the Northies, whilst we were waiting in the bus lane. In fact, the school almost didn't open because A) some Protestants and Catholic parents didn't want the children mixing with the other side and B) some Protestants were angry that the dep head was a Catholic (who incidentally came out gay in the end, angering the Catholics). The bizarre thing was - this was the first time a full secondary school had been built on the islands: before then the southerners went to Oban, the northerners to Stornoway. It was better for the bigots to have kids apart away from the islands ratehr than have em together on the island!

(God, Sorry for the long post =( - it just angers me that people out here have usurped genuine Irish history in order to back up their own prejudices..)

I facepalmed in real life reading this

despite my hatred for the IRA I find it strange that I seem to have picked up a lot of rebel songs, "come out you black and tans", "oh ah up the ra", "those protestant men", "some say the devil is dead", and so on :colonhash: Nowadays most young people in NI make a joke of the IRA, there were a lot of jokes on facebook when Jedward were doing well in Eurovision, like "Jedward in, upa ra", "12 points from britain, you've saved your queen", then you have parodies like the Rubberbandit's "up the ra". I find it strange that people in Scotland are still mired in this bigotry, when in NI most young people have got over it (although some pricks remain, as evinced by the recent rioting in Belfast :rolleyes:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by banterbury_tales
>tall blonde german boy

not gonna lie, i am a teensy bit jealous, not that your company wouldn't be awesome also (with a name like chiara how can you not be awesome?)

I am rather awesome, it must be said.

Well, a very intelligent, sweet and funny German boy, too. :mmm:

Aren't you visiting Oxford on Weds? :frown:
I am rather awesome, it must be said.

Well, a very intelligent, sweet and funny German boy, too. :mmm:

Aren't you visiting Oxford on Weds? :frown:

on thursday i'm afraid! oh the humanity!
on thursday i'm afraid! oh the humanity!

Oh no! Why is everyone visiting on Thursday? Would have been great to see you!
Reply 2271
I facepalmed in real life reading this

despite my hatred for the IRA I find it strange that I seem to have picked up a lot of rebel songs, "come out you black and tans", "oh ah up the ra", "those protestant men", "some say the devil is dead", and so on :colonhash: Nowadays most young people in NI make a joke of the IRA, there were a lot of jokes on facebook when Jedward were doing well in Eurovision, like "Jedward in, upa ra", then you have parodies like the Rubberbandit's "up the ra". I find it strange that people in Scotland are still mired in this bigotry, when in NI most young people have got over it (although some pricks remain, as evinced by the recent rioting in Belfast :rolleyes:)

Well, in Scotland there was never any exposure to the suffering of the Troubles. The IRA were these exotic freedom fighters - for the pisspoor Glaswegian at Celtic Park they symbolize a life far more exciting than his own, a life of sticking it to those who **** all over you. Something he can only imagine doing.

In the Western Isles, the Catholics have always got a bad deal. The Council is run by Wee Frees, Sabbatarians - e.g. my priest was a councillor and a certain bunch of Wee Free councillors actually walked out of the room every time he tried to speak. (Stormont is a teaparty compared to Stornoway!) So there's resentment there. I guess it translates into 'mooching off' the Irish troubles...

Sad really. =( We're the last patch of Gaeldom left in Scotland and all we do is fight.
Oh no! Why is everyone visiting on Thursday? Would have been great to see you!

I know right! We linguists are few and far between these days ): We can stay in contact for moral support though! Espesh. when those pesky language pre-interview tests come around D:

on another note I feel kinda bad, as this week it's Oxford on Thursday, then Sonisphere from Friday-Sunday and on Monday I'll probably be wrecked so I dunno if I'll be able to face school Monday. 3 days in a row of school gone...that's not very Oxford-applicant like is it? :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
I know right! We linguists are few and far between these days ): We can stay in contact for moral support though! Espesh. when those pesky language pre-interview tests come around D:

on another note I feel kinda bad, as this week it's Oxford on Thursday, then Sonisphere from Friday-Sunday and on Monday I'll probably be wrecked so I dunno if I'll be able to face school Monday. 3 days in a row of school gone...that's not very Oxford-applicant like is it? :colondollar:

How come you still have school? Aren't exams over for you guys?
Reply 2274
Original post by punctuation
How come you still have school? Aren't exams over for you guys?

Exams are over, but at my sixth form we go back for five weeks to start next years courses - I finish on the 20th July.
Original post by tom-m
Exams are over, but at my sixth form we go back for five weeks to start next years courses - I finish on the 20th July.

Oh... O.o I see.
:frown: why is everyone going to opening days this week... i went a couple of months ago to one of the residential opening days, totally feel left out now :tongue:
Original post by manic_fuzz
:frown: why is everyone going to opening days this week... i went a couple of months ago to one of the residential opening days, totally feel left out now :tongue:

I'm not going on thursday! :smile: not out of free will though, more like I'll be trans-atlantic but yeah! boycott!
Original post by Brand New Eyes
I'm not going on thursday! :smile: not out of free will though, more like I'll be trans-atlantic but yeah! boycott!

well at least i'm not alone, but oooh jealous! :O

i'll be at school :redface: yay.
YET ANOTHER RANDOM CONVERSATION TOPIC

What are you guys planning to do after your undergraduate degree (hopefully at Oxford)? :biggrin:

I'll probably do one of three things: get a job, go to postgraduate research, or get another degree (perhaps in Law). Preferably in the UK but possibly also in Canada.

Latest

Trending

Trending