The Student Room Group

JP morgan Schools Programme 2011

Scroll to see replies

Got the waitlist email :frown:
Original post by CityTrader
Wait, so was there anyone who got an out - right rejection email? or did Everyone get the waiting email?

this is what i want to know....

If you got rejected do you think they would even let you know? as I'm still waiting and really eager to get onto this programme for some reason
Original post by misterb123
this is what i want to know....

If you got rejected do you think they would even let you know? as I'm still waiting and really eager to get onto this programme for some reason

tbh, given the amount of people on here alone that have received "waiting" emails - I think it is just a polite rejection..... Not sure why you haven't heard yet tho? maybe no news is good news.
thats what im hoping for at the moment ...:crossedf:
Ah so it seems that the waiting list email was sent en masse. Good luck, all. :smile:
Reply 465
if there are so many of us on the waiting list, it seems that it might be unlikely that more than one or two of us get moved onto the programme. Only if someone can't attend will we replace them, soI'm going to take it as a no :frown:
I just got accepted for the 17th/18th one :smile:

Edit: And I don't think it's down to academics because I don't do either Economics or Further Maths currently and got 4 A*s at GCSE which I'm sure is less than some of the people in this thread who got put on the waiting list.
(edited 12 years ago)
Just got accepted as well!

Agree with Stephen that academics must've played a very small part in the selection process as I'm sure mine suck compared to the others in this thread. I also have no work experience so it must've been down to the cover letter almost exclusively.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 468
Also just got accepted for 17/18th :smile:

Agree its down to the cover letter as my academics are mediocre!
Original post by Competencies
Just got accepted as well!

Agree with Stephen that academics must've played a very small part in the selection process as I'm sure mine suck compared to the others in this thread. I also have no work experience so it must've been down to the cover letter almost exclusively.

Yeah, I forgot to say but I have no work experience also so it must have been the cover letter.
I'm on the 10/11. I also received an email this morning asking for me to confirm my attendance. :biggrin:
So I had the academics, work experience and some extra-curricular shindigs, but it looks like my cover letter let me down. I only spent 45 mins on it too :sigh: I've learnt something for the future I suppose :redface:
Reply 472
I didn't get in, I got the same waiting list email as everyone else
********************* i literally just got the waiting list email ¬¬ - looks like im going to a level results day this year lol
I think this programme is for more disadvantaged people, like those people who didn't get mostly A*s and As or have not had much work experience
Original post by Purehakkai
I think this programme is for more disadvantaged people, like those people who didn't get mostly A*s and As or have not had much work experience

Doubt it mate. I think JPM recognise that most people haven't had the opportunity to get work experience (without contacts) and so offered the places to people who they felt most wanted it (through the cover letter).

And when I say I have poor academics, I did get AAAA at AS and predicted A*AA, just my GCSEs are poor.
Original post by Purehakkai

Original post by Competencies
Doubt it mate. I think JPM recognise that most people haven't had the opportunity to get work experience (without contacts) and so offered the places to people who they felt most wanted it (through the cover letter).

And when I say I have poor academics, I did get AAAA at AS and predicted A*AA, just my GCSEs are poor.

It would be interesting to see where most people who got onto this are from. I heard that last year's group were mostly from London private schools, so I'm not so sure about the "disadvantaged people" thing. In fact, if people on this site can be trusted, a few years ago this programme wasn't even advertised - it was set up by some parents who had children at Eton/Harrow and the like, and it was restricted to these public schools.

My gut feeling from what I've heard is that the cover letter played the biggest part. At risk of sounding like an arrogant ****, in my opinion I have very good academics, and my work experience and EC's aren't really lacking. I didn't spend enough time writing and planning my CL, and it turns out that this was far more important than I expected. Fair enough I suppose, I'm guessing they wanted people who really put across their interest in the CL.

Edit: Whoever negged me is clearly an absolute LAD who deserves a medal.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 477
Original post by therealOG
It would be interesting to see where most people who got onto this are from. I heard that last year's group were mostly from London private schools, so I'm not so sure about the "disadvantaged people" thing. In fact, if people on this site can be trusted, a few years ago this programme wasn't even advertised - it was set up by some parents who had children at Eton/Harrow and the like, and it was restricted to these public schools.

My gut feeling from what I've heard is that the cover letter played the biggest part. At risk of sounding like an arrogant ****, in my opinion I have very good academics, and my work experience and EC's aren't lacking at all. I didn't spend enough time writing and planning my CL, and it turns out that this was far more important than I expected. Fair enough I suppose, I'm guessing they wanted people who really put across their interest in the CL.

We may be (or may be not) slightly over-emphasising the importance of cover letters, as we can not know for sure. Comparing the strengths of cover letters is too subjective. Anyway, note that in the original website it only mentioned to include CV and a short para in CV. The cover letter was not mentioned.

Just my thoughts anyway.
Original post by twig
We may be (or may be not) slightly over-emphasising the importance of cover letters, as we can not know for sure. Comparing the strengths of cover letters is too subjective. Anyway, note that in the original website it only mentioned to include CV and a short para in CV. The cover letter was not mentioned.

Just my thoughts anyway.

The admissions lot at JPM can compare CL's with all the prejudice and subjectivity they want lol! The CL was included in the application process though...
Original post by therealOG
It would be interesting to see where most people who got onto this are from.

For what it's worth, I just finished at a local state college a decent distance from London.

Original post by twig

Just my thoughts anyway.

I think the short paragraph was basically just another way of saying a cover letter. Wasn't there like a 300 word limit on it as well, which is a lot more than short paragraph.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending