The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Patriot
FANTASY FOOTBALL

Now I have your attention...

Anyone who didn't get a PM about a Fantasy Football league between us guys who wants find out more and play in it can PM me.

I'm up for it, played pretty every year the past 3 seasons. None of this wussy draft picking though. Live draft, random order. Draft isn't even relevant most of the time, it's your ability to trade with other teams and pick up bargains in free agents each week.
I'm in, a little tad confused but I'm in lol.
Original post by Tokyoround
I'm up for it, played pretty every year the past 3 seasons. None of this wussy draft picking though. Live draft, random order. Draft isn't even relevant most of the time, it's your ability to trade with other teams and pick up bargains in free agents each week.

it's promising you say that. i've been playing for three years now and every year nobody ever makes trades, it's so frustrating..add that to the guys that draft their team on auto-pilot and then never change their line up all season etc. hopefully i'll be part of a proper league this year!
Original post by georgegabriel
it's promising you say that. i've been playing for three years now and every year nobody ever makes trades, it's so frustrating..add that to the guys that draft their team on auto-pilot and then never change their line up all season etc. hopefully i'll be part of a proper league this year!

This is true I guess it depends on the people you are with.

Usually people get scared if a guy gets a bit injured or under-performs early on so are willing to trade. A good tactic is to take a friends favourite player high in the draft knowing that they will trade you anything to get that one player.

Free agents can be a godsend if you can spot the talent, and act quick enough. Benjarvus Green-Ellis for example, picked me up a ton of points last season.

Usually people get scared if a guy gets a bit injured or under-performs early on so are willing to trade. A good tactic is to take a friends favourite player high in the draft knowing that they will trade you anything to get that one player.

Free agents can be a godsend if you can spot the talent, and act quick enough. Benjarvus Green-Ellis for example, picked me up a ton of points last season.

free agents are the way forward. in the past i've picked up mike vick, miles austin, danny woodhead and lance moore..very lucrative indeed
Reply 1745

I got Peyton Hillis off the waiver wire in most of my leagues, absolute dream
Free agents? Meh you're all confusing me!
Reply 1747
Normally you got 10 teams right and about 18-20 players per team so anyone who isn't drafted is a free agent, normally because they aren't worth owning but if you suffer an injury or one of your players is a bust then you are gonna wanna drop them and pick up a free agent who offers more to your team, thereby making the guy you drop a free agent. Sometimes players no one expects to be beasts will not get drafted and can be picked up as free agents as well i.e. Peyton Hillis last year and brandon jackson was a popular FA pick up after Ryan Grant got hurt week 1...

In a satdnard league Free Agent priority usually goes to the worst teams I think and there is like a waiver order of who can pick up players but the leagues I am in use a FAB system where every team has a budget to spend on free agents and if you wana pick someone up you enter how much you are willing to spend on them into a blind auction and whoever bids the most gets the player, this is a bit more advanced though because it can be difficult to judge prices for newer players
Do we get to name our own teams and such?
Original post by paddy__power
Do we get to name our own teams and such?

Aye.
Nice.
Original post by marcusmerehay
I'm in.

Cool! You're on the list :smile:
Original post by alexsong
I will play fantasy football please any chance of a keepr league make it a bit more interesting ?

Added to the list.

We will see what everyone else thinks about a keeper league. Personally, I prefer a new league each year, but it's not all about me.

Once we have enough people down on the list, we will then discuss whether to use a keeper league or not.

Cheers for the interest.
Added to the list.

We will see what everyone else thinks about a keeper league. Personally, I prefer a new league each year, but it's not all about me.

Once we have enough people down on the list, we will then discuss whether to use a keeper league or not.

Cheers for the interest.

Gonna need to make a separate thread for the Fantasy League, like last year. :smile:
Original post by jimbles
Free agents? Meh you're all confusing me!

Normally you got 10 teams right and about 18-20 players per team so anyone who isn't drafted is a free agent, normally because they aren't worth owning but if you suffer an injury or one of your players is a bust then you are gonna wanna drop them and pick up a free agent who offers more to your team, thereby making the guy you drop a free agent. Sometimes players no one expects to be beasts will not get drafted and can be picked up as free agents as well i.e. Peyton Hillis last year and brandon jackson was a popular FA pick up after Ryan Grant got hurt week 1...

In a satdnard league Free Agent priority usually goes to the worst teams I think and there is like a waiver order of who can pick up players but the leagues I am in use a FAB system where every team has a budget to spend on free agents and if you wana pick someone up you enter how much you are willing to spend on them into a blind auction and whoever bids the most gets the player, this is a bit more advanced though because it can be difficult to judge prices for newer players

This^
I got Peyton Hillis off the waiver wire in most of my leagues, absolute dream

I got Hillis and Mike Vick last year off waivers :biggrin:
Original post by RabbitCFH
Gonna need to make a separate thread for the Fantasy League, like last year. :smile:

Sure thing. I will create and link it another time.

*Added*

And personally, I'm in favour of a random draft order...

I got Brandon Lloyd, best scoring WR last year I think. :biggrin:
Reply 1759

Nice in my dynasty league I had ryan grant and when he went down week 1 I bid 80 of my 100 dollar FAB for brandon jackson didn'tgo so well that one...

Latest