The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, I just wondered how easy it is to get an A in EPQ. I don't want this to sound like I'm looking for a quick answer to get an extra qualification- this is definitely not the case. I'm about 3000 words in and I'm concerned about the amount of depth I'm going into and I'm just wondering about what you have to do to get the higher marks. Obviously I'm looking to get the best grade possible. Any pointers or pieces of advice for me? Thanks :smile:
Anyone else finding it hard to write 5000 words, or is it just me?
Reply 1942
What?! Some people are half way through?! WHAT?! Omg I have so much to do!! And I'm going on holiday soon :s-smilie:
Reply 1943
How far is everyone with their projects?
Original post by Mmrawrr
Does anyone know what the word-limit is for the EPQ essay? I'm just over half way through the project (I still have my main discussion bit to do) and I have already got 5000 words.. =/ I'm worried I'm making it too long.. :frown:

Handed mine in and awaiting my results.
There is no official limit, although 5000 is a recommended maximum. I did 10,000 because I couldn't stop. :rolleyes:
Original post by S_123
How far is everyone with their projects?

It's officially needed to be handed in of March/April next year. We didn't have the option to start it in Year 12, we all started in October of Year 13 and managed it.
Just make a target and stick to it if you can!
I made an attempt to create a load of targets and found it was a lot easier. Just be aware that not all targets are realistic, so set some time apart for extra work. :smile:
Original post by colourfulchaos
Anyone else finding it hard to write 5000 words, or is it just me?

I was the exact same a few weeks into my project, so I decided to broaden the title. I altered and added to my hypothesis to make more topics part of the discussion. If you're having trouble with the word number, I'd recommend this and possibly extending ideas e.g. adding information or discussing it more in-depth or from another point of view.

5000 is the recommended limit, not the amount you must write. If you fall short and write 3000, no-one will kill you, AQA just recommend you write 5000 words as a target to do well. It's a lot harder to get an A* with 3000 words than 5000 for example.

Hope I helped. :wink:
Original post by emiliejordan123
Hey guys, I just wondered how easy it is to get an A in EPQ. I don't want this to sound like I'm looking for a quick answer to get an extra qualification- this is definitely not the case. I'm about 3000 words in and I'm concerned about the amount of depth I'm going into and I'm just wondering about what you have to do to get the higher marks. Obviously I'm looking to get the best grade possible. Any pointers or pieces of advice for me? Thanks :smile:

Handed mine in and awaiting results.
My teacher said that the biggest part of the EPQ is actually the paperwork, so you need to be able to evaluate your own work in order to do well. Also, your presentation or whatever needs to answer questions and relate well with your project. (:
Reply 1948
Original post by lizolove
It's officially needed to be handed in of March/April next year. We didn't have the option to start it in Year 12, we all started in October of Year 13 and managed it.
Just make a target and stick to it if you can!
I made an attempt to create a load of targets and found it was a lot easier. Just be aware that not all targets are realistic, so set some time apart for extra work. :smile:

Ah thank you :smile: Can I ask what your project was on?
Original post by S_123
Ah thank you :smile: Can I ask what your project was on?

Mine was on Capital Punishment - Law Applicant 2011.
What are you thinking of doing?
Reply 1950
Original post by lizolove
Mine was on Capital Punishment - Law Applicant 2011.
What are you thinking of doing?

Ooh interesting! Hope it's gone well when you get your grade :smile: Mine's on Paradise Lost. Yeah I want to study English. :p:
Original post by S_123
Ooh interesting! Hope it's gone well when you get your grade :smile: Mine's on Paradise Lost. Yeah I want to study English. :p:

Thanks! Ooh, sounds interesting! Well, all I can advise is on studying something related to what you want to do in the future. It sets you apart from the other applicants during university applications. (:
I am loving my EPQ :biggrin:
Original post by Banoffeepie16
I am loving my EPQ :biggrin:

Hello i did an EPQ this year and i loved the experience. Its nice to hear that you are enjoying it too :smile: what is your's on?
Hey just a quick question. Are we allowed to use pictures in the essay?
Original post by Trixy.Sam
Hello i did an EPQ this year and i loved the experience. Its nice to hear that you are enjoying it too :smile: what is your's on?

My working title is: How is the theme of 'disenchantment' portrayed in Spanish literature by Spanish writers of the Modernist movement and the 'Generation of '98'?

A bit of a mouthfull :biggrin: What was yours on?
Original post by Chicharito14

Original post by Chicharito14
To be honest, if you are aiming for a good uni (say top 20), don't waste your time on the EPQ, just focus on your A2's, as that will be more beneficial.

Actually, UCL gave me a lower offer when they realised I was doing the EPQ. Only by one grade, but it made the difference.
Original post by Banoffeepie16
My working title is: How is the theme of 'disenchantment' portrayed in Spanish literature by Spanish writers of the Modernist movement and the 'Generation of '98'?

A bit of a mouthfull :biggrin: What was yours on?

Ooh that sounds really interesting. But I am not going to lie, but most of that question went over my head!! :colondollar:

I did mine on the Nuremberg Laws and their controversy etc. It was very interesting, and learnt so much!:biggrin:
Original post by Trixy.Sam
Ooh that sounds really interesting. But I am not going to lie, but most of that question went over my head!! :colondollar:

I did mine on the Nuremberg Laws and their controversy etc. It was very interesting, and learnt so much!:biggrin:

Ah awesome :biggrin: Aha, dw I couldn't say I completely understood yours either! :colondollar:
Reply 1959
Original post by Johnny Christ
Actually, UCL gave me a lower offer when they realised I was doing the EPQ. Only by one grade, but it made the difference.

that'd be nice... *sighs whimsically*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending