The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KThackery

Oh cool, I didn't realise that. I'll see if I can get one before then but it'll make a great last resort, thanks =) I was gunna join the debating society and I heard they are worn to debates, but as you say its not the end of the world if i cant afford one =)

Definitely join the debating society :smile: It's absolutely awesome :biggrin:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
How do you get involved with star/bubble tv?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6262
Original post by clozzanozza
How do you get involved with star/bubble tv?

They'll probaly be at the freshers fair and you can sign up to the mailing list and then you'll have information on any meetings or anything. You can then just go along to the meetings and get involved.
Original post by Seelentherapie
Does anyone know if Postgrads are usually involved with the academic family tradition?

I think they can if they want to, although I don't get the impression that it's as common among postgrads.
I just realised that I have to make my comouter account myself! Just did and now it says to pick my modules. I thought you picked them once you were there?
Original post by Top Dog
I just realised that I have to make my comouter account myself! Just did and now it says to pick my modules. I thought you picked them once you were there?

You do pre-advising before you go, and then when you get there you meet with your adviser and set them in stone :smile:
Reply 6266
Could somebody please tell me how we go on with internet access in rooms? How fast/slow, what the download limit is per month, whether I'll be able to use Skype relatively frequently etc. Thanks :redface:
Reply 6267
Does the celebrity golf tournament still clash with freshers week?
Original post by alexss
Could somebody please tell me how we go on with internet access in rooms? How fast/slow, what the download limit is per month, whether I'll be able to use Skype relatively frequently etc. Thanks :redface:

Believe it to be very fast.

Original post by Jones.j
Does the celebrity golf tournament still clash with freshers week?

Starts on the 29th.
Reply 6269
Original post by Top Dog
Starts on the 29th.

August or September?
Reply 6270
Original post by Jones.j
August or September?

September.
Reply 6271
Original post by alexss

You get a cable and you have to use that. It's pretty fast. Not sure if there is a download limit.. And yeh some of my friends used skype everyday and anytime I used it, it was fine.
I just completed the pre-advising, and there are 8 classes per week. Isnt it too free? I am still not familiar with the Scotish system, can somebody please tell me how is the teaching system like?
Reply 6273
Original post by soulmailers
I just completed the pre-advising, and there are 8 classes per week. Isnt it too free? I am still not familiar with the Scotish system, can somebody please tell me how is the teaching system like?

Depends on what your modules are tbh. Some are free-er than others (Science modules tend to have more lectures). If you're doing an arts subject, you'll be expected to do a fair bit of reading outside of lecture times. If that 8 classes per week doesn't include tutorials, then you'll probably have one of those per module per week that you have to prepare in advance for.
I have a timetable clash. Is there any way round this or do I need to select another module.
I know that SA has a fairly big collection of e-books but I wondered whether those books were able to be downloaded onto a Kindle Reader? I've tried to work out the system myself but it all seems very confusing

Thanks for your help, Kate
Original post by Top Dog
I have a timetable clash. Is there any way round this or do I need to select another module.

You'll have to change modules, what clashes?
Original post by Ecosse_14
You'll have to change modules, what clashes?

Biological chemistry (chem) and global environmental problems (geo) are both at the same time. (I'm assuming they are on the same day also?????)

What if I do a chem lecture and ten and a geo one at eleven? Is the lecture one hour long leaving me no time to get from one to the other?
Reply 6278
Original post by Top Dog
Biological chemistry (chem) and global environmental problems (geo) are both at the same time. (I'm assuming they are on the same day also?????)

What if I do a chem lecture and ten and a geo one at eleven? Is the lecture one hour long leaving me no time to get from one to the other?

nope. lectures are usually 50 minutes. they usually start at 5 past the hour and end at 5 to the hour. Last year my lectures were at 10, 11 and 12 and I managed fine.
Reply 6279
Original post by KThackery
I know that SA has a fairly big collection of e-books but I wondered whether those books were able to be downloaded onto a Kindle Reader? I've tried to work out the system myself but it all seems very confusing

Thanks for your help, Kate

Hmmm. not sure.
Alot of reading material is available from JSTOR (it's bad when it takes me over half an hour to remember the name of that. I need to get back to uni). It is basically short articles of about 10-40 pages. You can download them onto your laptop so I presumre you can put them on your kindle. Some of the stuff from the actual ebook site, I'm not so sure about.

Latest

Trending

Trending