Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Accounting and Finance/WBS applicants and questions 2012

Look at 2nd post
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got BBB last year, am retaking Yr13 again and will reapply through UCAS with A*AAb/A*AAc (Maths, econ, chem and physics in order).

Would i stand a reasonable chance of getting an offer for Accounting and finance considering i'm a retake student?
The course itself was in UCAS extra during UCAS 2011, i have a decent PS, accounting work experiance and i do meet the requirements.

I am also a little confused about their 7A*-B GCSE requirement as their site stats it as a requirement but in a generic email i got from warwick admissions, it's not listed as a requirement by WBS for the course. Do i actually need 7 A*-B's or could i get away with the 6 i have.

My GCSE's were AAAABBCCDD
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2

What is their gcse requirements.? I thought they just said good number of a* and a that is all?
I'm not going to lie, those are terrible GCSEs. I doubt you would get an offer but there's no harm in trying.
Looking your predicted A levels and also your GCSEs the scores are poles apart- is there a reason for this? Extenuating circumstance during GCSEs?
Reply 4
Original post by FatboyGinger
I'm not going to lie, those are terrible GCSEs. I doubt you would get an offer but there's no harm in trying.
Looking your predicted A levels and also your GCSEs the scores are poles apart- is there a reason for this? Extenuating circumstance during GCSEs?

Hmm, at that time, i didn't really think uni's looked at GCSE grades much so i pretty much never opened a book once even the day before my GCSE's and had poor attendance.

You do Acc&Fin at Warwick right?
Do you think i stand a reasonable chance of getting an offer with my A*AAb prediction, a decent personal statement and relevant work experience or would the fact that i'm retaking the A2 year and my poor GCSE lower my chances of getting an offer?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm in a similar position, except I'll just be resitting a few exams, and should be predicted A*AAA

How competitive is the A&F course anyway? I know someone this year who got an offer whilst predicted A*A*B
Reply 6
I really need to know to but WBS never give me a straight answer. I get a generic email with the normal course requirements with nothing regarding resit students everytime i email them specifically about applying as a resit student.

I can't even get hold of the WBS admissions officers as all calls go through the unis standard UG admissions line who say they don't know.

I really need to know as otherwise, i want to apply to economics at the likes of Nottingham and Manchester.
Reply 7
You should apply, you never know what might happen....plus your predictions are likely to be higher than most who apply to WBS.
The only issue is your gcse's.WBS are really strict on this, and many candidates will easily met this target. This course is competitive, there is like 160 or places and roughly 750 applicants.
Another thing Warwick like is stellar as-grades, are yours any good?
Generally speaking you should apply.
Reply 8
Original post by uxa595
I really need to know to but WBS never give me a straight answer. I get a generic email with the normal course requirements with nothing regarding resit students everytime i email them specifically about applying as a resit student.

I can't even get hold of the WBS admissions officers as all calls go through the unis standard UG admissions line who say they don't know.

I really need to know as otherwise, i want to apply to economics at the likes of Nottingham and Manchester.

Same to me, but I finally got some sort of answer today. They said I'll be disadvantaged as a resit student, and at one point the woman said (perhaps let slip) that I will be "significantly disadvantaged"...EEK.

I got AAB as my A2s, but was very close to A*AA, so after resits and taking up Econ A2 in my gap year (got 90%+ in AS), I should end up with A*A*AA and that should be my prediction too.
With those I'm considering applying for economics to Warwick and Nottingham as top 2 choices....but I'm still trying to work out what my chances realistically are...otherwise I'll switch and apply for A&F at LSE and Warwick.

Original post by Alpha5
You should apply, you never know what might happen....plus your predictions are likely to be higher than most who apply to WBS.
The only issue is your gcse's.WBS are really strict on this, and many candidates will easily met this target. This course is competitive, there is like 160 or places and roughly 750 applicants.

When I spoke to WBS, they said as long as you have an A in GCSE maths, you should be fine....but again I've heard rumours of rejections based solely on GCSE results??? So confusing!

Also if this course is so competitive, why was Warwick A&F in UCAS Exra this year?? Clearly they didn't have enough applicants, or at least enough applicants that met their standard offer.
I also know someone who got an offer there this year predicted A*A*B, so surely isn't that hard to get into as long as you achieve their minimum?
Reply 9
Original post by Confused101
Same to me, but I finally got some sort of answer today. They said I'll be disadvantaged as a resit student, and at one point the woman said (perhaps let slip) that I will be "significantly disadvantaged"...EEK.

I got AAB as my A2s, but was very close to A*AA, so after resits and taking up Econ A2 in my gap year (got 90%+ in AS), I should end up with A*A*AA and that should be my prediction too.
With those I'm considering applying for economics to Warwick and Nottingham as top 2 choices....but I'm still trying to work out what my chances realistically are...otherwise I'll switch and apply for A&F at LSE and Warwick.

But A&F and economics are worlds apart in the difficulty of getting in to be fair. Did WBS say you were significantly disadvantaged as a resit student for A&F or Econ
Reply 10
Original post by Alpha5

My AS results are AABE with 90%+ in maths. I know the fourth one is an E but that was because of a LOT of things going wrong and i intend to make it a B this year.
My prediction is going to be A*AAb or A*AAc most likely.

So you think i stand a reasonable chance for A&F considering it was in Extra?
I'm going to call them up and make sure, and if it's the case i may apply.
Original post by uxa595
But A&F and economics are worlds apart in the difficulty of getting in to be fair. Did WBS say you were significantly disadvantaged as a resit student for A&F or Econ

Yeah I know, hence why if my chances at Warwick/Notts econ aren't that good, I'll switch to A&F cos it's easier to get into.

I spoke to the economics department, but I called again for the A&F course and they said I'll be disadvantaged for that too.
Although I wouldn't be too worried tbh if you exceed their standard offer.

I mean, the course was in Extra this year, and people got in whilst predicted a B (and doing 3 A2s at that), so it shouldn't be too bad. Also if anything, competition will be less this year (very little gap year students).
Reply 12
I've decided to try my chances at Nottingham, Manc, Bham and two others for Economics. There is no point spending 3 yrs doing an accounting degree which will bore me out my ass. I guess Bham grads can get into jobs like law and different finance jobs.

Accounting isn't for me a IB will be hard but i guess i'll give it a shot.
Reply 13
X

Yep, i called them today as well and they said i would be at a slight disadvantage however with A*AA predicted grades i would have a reasonable chance.
Original post by uxa595
Yep, i called them today as well and they said i would be at a slight disadvantage however with A*AA predicted grades i would have a reasonable chance.

Did they say you have a reasonable chance with that or are you just speculating?

Also is that for A&F or Econ? A&F i guess?
Reply 15
Yep, i think i may apply for it :smile:
The woman said there would be a slight disadvantage but A*AA prediction, AAB as AS, work experience and a good personal statement should put me in good standing of getting an offer.

Also, yes, she did say if the rest of my application is good, i should stand a chance however i may be slightly disadvantaged as many applicants have the required grades first time around.
Also, the GCSE thing is not a requirement but a lot of applicants do have good GCSE's.
Reply 16
The only downside is the big 4 firms don't want to know me even if i go get A*AA as i didn't get 300UCAS in my first sitting 0o.
Original post by uxa595
The only downside is the big 4 firms don't want to know me even if i go get A*AA as i didn't get 300UCAS in my first sitting 0o.

To be honest you wouldn't want to work for the Big 4 anyway. You get paid peanuts through your training for working quite long and monotonous hours, and while it does bump up once you get your chartered qualification, after 3 years graduation from uni you'd expect to earn a bit more when graduating from somewhere like LSE or Warwick.

Most people use the Big 4 as a brand to put on their CV, and for someone to pay for their chartered training.

Once they get their qualification, most people leave for a more lucrative job, often with less hours too...hence why the Big 4 are able to hire graduates by the thousands every year - places are always becoming available as chartered accountants leave them.

Obviously the Big 4 name is useful for your CV, but my point is to not be too disheartened if the they don't recruit you - there are plenty of other firms and careers you can go into that'll kick start a successful future. :smile:
Reply 18
To be honest you wouldn't want to work for the Big 4 anyway. You get paid peanuts through your training for working quite long and monotonous hours, and while it does bump up once you get your chartered qualification, after 3 years graduation from uni you'd expect to earn a bit more when graduating from somewhere like LSE or Warwick.

Most people use the Big 4 as a brand to put on their CV, and for someone to pay for their chartered training.

Once they get their qualification, most people leave for a more lucrative job, often with less hours too...hence why the Big 4 are able to hire graduates by the thousands every year - places are always becoming available as chartered accountants leave them.

Obviously the Big 4 name is useful for your CV, but my point is to not be too disheartened if the they don't recruit you - there are plenty of other firms and careers you can go into that'll kick start a successful future. :smile:

:tongue:

To be fair, i don't really want to do accounting out of uni. My first choice would obviously be FO investment banking and after that, a select few grad jobs at places like BP.

I do like economics more but part of the reason for me wanting to do accounting at warwick is that they seem to get quite a few people into investment banking and other prestigious careers.
That's why i wanted to make sure i have a reasonable chance to get into Warwick otherwise i want to do Econ at a uni like Birmingham.

I'm not sure if i should apply or not as with A&F, it's warwick or nothing but for econ i would be happy with Nottingham, Birmingham or Manchester :colondollar:
Are you intending to go for the likes of Warwick A&F if you can't apply for Econ too?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by uxa595
:tongue:

To be fair, i don't really want to do accounting out of uni. My first choice would obviously be FO investment banking and after that, a select few grad jobs at places like BP.

I do like economics more but part of the reason for me wanting to do accounting at warwick is that they seem to get quite a few people into investment banking and other prestigious careers.
That's why i wanted to make sure i have a reasonable chance to get into Warwick otherwise i want to do Econ at a uni like Birmingham.

I'm not sure if i should apply or not as with A&F, it's warwick or nothing but for econ i would be happy with Nottingham, Birmingham or Manchester :colondollar:
Are you intending to go for the likes of Warwick A&F if you can't apply for Econ too?

Well if investment banking is what you're looking for you should be aiming for top 5 unis...I'm in a similar situation, and calling up Warwick they seem to say I have little chance of getting in for straight Econ due to have having 4 A*s 4As 1B at GCSE, and being a resit student at that...despite a prediction of A*A*AA.

The least I'll be happy with is probably Nottingham, and even then I'll feel slightly disappointed I didn't make top 5, so I may switch to A&F...still not sure :confused:

But yeah I see your point - that's my other worry, that it's LSE/Warwick or nothing if applying for A&F....hence I'm a bit reluctant going down this route too.

Also I spoke to someone who did an intern at a bank and he said there was someone who graduated from LSE A&F and he was applying for a back office job in the bank...I mean sure A&F isn't as good as other degrees such as Economics or Maths, but surely the fact it's a finance degree from LSE grants him AT LEAST middle office?? I'm so confused! Maybe the guy was just aiming low or he was generally a poor candidate??

I dunno, but we're running out of time and I'm getting nowhere! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest