The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6360
Original post by Ecosse_14
I have no idea, but I'll find something to do. It's comedy night at the union I think, but I won't be going to that. So either a hall event, crashing another halls event or some random place like The Vic or something. I'll find somewhere :colone:

:wink: Have fun, I might see you there!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 6361
Hello, okay module choices are confusing me, although it doesn't take alot to confuse me!

Basically, I'm doing marine biology, so looking at the choices it would appear I can only do biology one and biology two in the first year? Does this sound correct? And then I pick two modules per semester from different subjects? And these two subjects, do they have to be ones I did at a level? And if they aren't, for instance, I didn't do geography and I wished I had, so if I took a geography module, would I be completely stumped and not have a clue? thanks :smile:
Original post by Kayak
Hello, okay module choices are confusing me, although it doesn't take alot to confuse me!

Basically, I'm doing marine biology, so looking at the choices it would appear I can only do biology one and biology two in the first year? Does this sound correct? And then I pick two modules per semester from different subjects? And these two subjects, do they have to be ones I did at a level? And if they aren't, for instance, I didn't do geography and I wished I had, so if I took a geography module, would I be completely stumped and not have a clue? thanks :smile:

Yeah so all biology students have to take the biology 1 biology & 2 modules. The other modules you can pick. :smile: So it works out like Semester 1 = Biology 1 + two other modules. Semester 2 = Biology 2 + two other modules.

You don't have to do the A-level of the module to take the module.. but some modules do requre certain qualification to take them (see course catalouge). :smile:
Reply 6363
Tuesday at 10:45. Don't they know I like to sleep all morning after a night out :erm:

HAHAHA mine is at 2pm. this makes up for them making me go at 9am last year. also. you're going to laugh but... I don't know how to get to the gateway...

I have no idea, but I'll find something to do. It's comedy night at the union I think, but I won't be going to that. So either a hall event, crashing another halls event or some random place like The Vic or something. I'll find somewhere :colone:

vic. with meeee.
Reply 6364
Original post by Oh-WOW
HAHAHA mine is at 2pm. this makes up for them making me go at 9am last year. also. you're going to laugh but... I don't know how to get to the gateway...

Is it that very modern round building at one end of St Andrews?
Original post by Oh-WOW

:eek:
Do you know where any o the buildings in Norh Haugh are?

Original post by Sappho

:yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6366
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
:eek:
Do you know where any o the buildings in Norh Haugh are?

:yep:

nooo. I'm an arts student. I have no reason to be there! I do have a rough idea of how to get to the gateway. just looking for the easiest route...
Reply 6367
Original post by Oh-WOW
nooo. I'm an arts student. I have no reason to be there! I do have a rough idea of how to get to the gateway. just looking for the easiest route...

Easiest route from the town centre I find, is to go to Argyle Street or Doubledykes Road, and walk through Petherham Bridge car park and it's immediately on your left.
Reply 6368
Original post by LGF92
Easiest route from the town centre I find, is to go to Argyle Street or Doubledykes Road, and walk through Petherham Bridge car park and it's immediately on your left.

that's what I thought. thank you!
Original post by Oh-WOW

vic. with meeee.

Ahh, the home of management :love:
Yeah instead of walking through the tennis car park, you just go through the big car park and you'll find it. Wonder where the actual appointments are, if they're in the foyer, or downstairs, or in the lecturers offices on level 4, or the management floor on 3 :ninja:

Original post by Sappho

It is! :smile:
That's how I always describe it to prospective students "the modern round looking building" :tongue:
Reply 6370
It is! :smile:
That's how I always describe it to prospective students "the modern round looking building" :tongue:

Why don't they just change its name? :biggrin:
Original post by Sappho
Why don't they just change its name? :biggrin:

They should, would make things so much easier.
Reply 6372
Original post by LGF92
RBS on South Street give you a railcard to get up to 33% off rail travel within the UK which is handy if you're planning to travel. Other than that I couldn't say, but your other choices are Santander, Lloyds TSB, Bank of Scotland, or Clydesdale.

Is that only if you open a student account? Because internationals can't open a student account :frown:
(Hey, I'm sorry if someone has asked this question before - I just came across this thread and couldn't go through all the pages. Also, I don't really know how the Scottish system works...)

1. I was checking the undergraduate prospectus for St Andrews just now, and found that Economics in both BSc and MA take up 4 years to complete. What are the differences between those 2 degrees? As what I saw on the website, the modules covered in are the same. But I'm still curious as to why does it take the same time to get a MA or BSc? Before that I thought 4 years of study would lead to a MA or MSc.

2. Does anyone know the differences between Economics and Applied Economics? The website says that the modules only differ in the honours year. So what's the main difference between both? Is one more mathematical or experimental than the other?

3. For a joint degree, must the 2 subjects be taken from the same department? If I apply for Economics in BSc, can I do it with another science subject?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. :smile:
Original post by paperstars123
(Hey, I'm sorry if someone has asked this question before - I just came across this thread and couldn't go through all the pages. Also, I don't really know how the Scottish system works...)

1. I was checking the undergraduate prospectus for St Andrews just now, and found that Economics in both BSc and MA take up 4 years to complete. What are the differences between those 2 degrees? As what I saw on the website, the modules covered in are the same. But I'm still curious as to why does it take the same time to get a MA or BSc? Before that I thought 4 years of study would lead to a MA or MSc.

2. Does anyone know the differences between Economics and Applied Economics? The website says that the modules only differ in the honours year. So what's the main difference between both? Is one more mathematical or experimental than the other?

3. For a joint degree, must the 2 subjects be taken from the same department? If I apply for Economics in BSc, can I do it with another science subject?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. :smile:

1. The MA is an undergraduate MA. The ancient Scottish unis give out MAs instead of BAs, but they are the same thing. The courses are the same, the difference is what other modules/subjects you take in your 1st and 2nd year. So if your into more science subjects, do the BSc, if you're not, then go for the MA. They are both at the same level.

2. I don't know, but you could check the module outlines on the course handbook for honours economics here.

3. Yup, there are many different degree combinations you can do. You can also see them listed on the link above for economics.
1. The MA is an undergraduate MA. The ancient Scottish unis give out MAs instead of BAs, but they are the same thing. The courses are the same, the difference is what other modules/subjects you take in your 1st and 2nd year. So if your into more science subjects, do the BSc, if you're not, then go for the MA. They are both at the same level.

2. I don't know, but you could check the module outlines on the course handbook for honours economics here.

3. Yup, there are many different degree combinations you can do. You can also see them listed on the link above for economics.

Thanks for the clarification! I was tempted to do a MA at first, thinking I'd graduate earlier with a better degree. Since I was wrong, I'm most likely applying to do a BSc now. If f I apply for Economics (BSc) now, may I still take a Joint degree if I get accepted? I haven't thought of what other subjects to complement Economics for now.

How's life in St. Andrews in general? I heard it's a small and lovely city and that seems like the place for me (I'm not that into having a vibrant nightlife often anyway). Where are most of the international students from?
To all current/ entrant psychology students: should we bring our A-Level textbooks and notes with us? My reasons for asking are a) because I'm assuming in 1st year things don't get much more difficult than that, b) hence they can act as substitutes for some of the textbooks/ materials we are recommended to buy/ look at, c) because the library apparently isn't fantastic so why not bring a mini library of one's own and d) to bridge the gap, for continuity etc. My IQ must have halved itself over summer.

Same question to Eng Lit students! What are you all bringing? Do old marked essays and coursework come in handy? (to read over, not to recycle anew, I mean). I was planning to bring Shakespeare/ Hardy and criticisms along for 'cross-reference' purposes too

24 hours!! And I will be there, or very near. this is completely INSANE, feels so surreal :biggrin:
Original post by paperstars123
Thanks for the clarification! I was tempted to do a MA at first, thinking I'd graduate earlier with a better degree. Since I was wrong, I'm most likely applying to do a BSc now. If f I apply for Economics (BSc) now, may I still take a Joint degree if I get accepted? I haven't thought of what other subjects to complement Economics for now.

How's life in St. Andrews in general? I heard it's a small and lovely city and that seems like the place for me (I'm not that into having a vibrant nightlife often anyway). Where are most of the international students from?

Yup, the degree system is very flexible. You can apply for economics, then come here, do 3 subjects in 1stand 2nd year then change your degree if you want to joint honours or something completely different to economics (aslong as you studid it in 1st and 2nd year).

St Andrews life in general is awesome :awesome: It is small, but no too small that you get bored of it. The nightlife obviously isn't like Glasgow or some other big city, but there's still quite a lot you can do at night. International students are literally from all over the place to be honest, where are you from?

Original post by xCHiiBiEverlastingx
To all current/ entrant psychology students: should we bring our A-Level textbooks and notes with us? My reasons for asking are a) because I'm assuming in 1st year things don't get much more difficult than that, b) hence they can act as substitutes for some of the textbooks/ materials we are recommended to buy/ look at, c) because the library apparently isn't fantastic so why not bring a mini library of one's own and d) to bridge the gap, for continuity etc. My IQ must have halved itself over summer.

Same question to Eng Lit students! What are you all bringing? Do old marked essays and coursework come in handy? (to read over, not to recycle anew, I mean). I was planning to bring Shakespeare/ Hardy and criticisms along for 'cross-reference' purposes too

24 hours!! And I will be there, or very near. this is completely INSANE, feels so surreal :biggrin:

For psychology, you can bring them if you want. I never did A Levels (I never studied psychology at all before coming here anyway) so I don't know what's taught. There's only 1 book you need to buy for 1st year psych (well, you can get a stats one too). In 1st year you cover the foundations/history of psych, developmental, perception, neuroscience, memory and cognition and social psychology. Plus some stats. So if that's similar to A Level then they may be useful.
Yup, the degree system is very flexible. You can apply for economics, then come here, do 3 subjects in 1stand 2nd year then change your degree if you want to joint honours or something completely different to economics (aslong as you studid it in 1st and 2nd year).

St Andrews life in general is awesome :awesome: It is small, but no too small that you get bored of it. The nightlife obviously isn't like Glasgow or some other big city, but there's still quite a lot you can do at night. International students are literally from all over the place to be honest, where are you from?

That sounds very appealing to me :smile: My challenge now is to write a good PS, since I've heard of how competitive it is to get in, as the uni is really small. I'm from Asia, and I saw from another TSR thread that most international students are from the US. There's also a review about people in St. Andrews are mostly rich - don't mean to sound offending, but is that true?

Also, other than the flexibility of the system, what other differences are there between the Scottish system and English system? That's because I'm also applying to some unis in England as well..

For psychology, you can bring them if you want. I never did A Levels (I never studied psychology at all before coming here anyway) so I don't know what's taught. There's only 1 book you need to buy for 1st year psych (well, you can get a stats one too). In 1st year you cover the foundations/history of psych, developmental, perception, neuroscience, memory and cognition and social psychology. Plus some stats. So if that's similar to A Level then they may be useful.

Latest

Trending

Trending