The Student Room Group

Is computer science extremely hard?

im going to be doing Bsc Computer science in derry.

I was wondering if it will be really hard if i only have a B in GCSE Maths and only a small amount of python programming practice?

im not keen on the maths part much, and was wondering is it it just algorithms and code equations?

Scroll to see replies

Im on the same boat mate, Im studying in Hull. Im soooo not keen on the maths bit. I SUCK at maths. so bad i got a D in GCSE. Only subject im bad at.
I did manage to get a C again in college but it seems theres maths involved in computer science.

I start on monday and the maths bit is stressing me out, really bad. What 'maths' is involved in this subject? I need to know what to study...

thanks TSR
Reply 2
I was also wondering about the type of maths, I'm also going to be starting at Hull on monday and was surprised when my timetable listed something about a maths diagnostic test.
Reply 3
Original post by DireStraits80
im going to be doing Bsc Computer science in derry.

I was wondering if it will be really hard if i only have a B in GCSE Maths and only a small amount of python programming practice?

im not keen on the maths part much, and was wondering is it it just algorithms and code equations?

Depends probably on the modules, i know some like AI require algorithms..............
Stats, mainly. (Or so I have been told)

If you haven't done a level maths you will probably do some catch up modules in the first year to get you to grips with algebraic manipulation, quantitative methods and applying logical reasoning in a mathematical sense (Again, something I believe is important in comsci) but beyond that I don't know.

Perhaps look at your syllabus? I already did that and there's only one module purely concerned with maths, looks pretty simple, certainly nothing more than A level maths. But it's probably best for someone who has already done compsci to comment.
Reply 5
For my Hull timetable i'm doing "quantitative methods", this apprently includes:

Algebra, solving equations and trigonometry: Number systems and notations, solutions of simple equations, trygonometry and Pythagoras.

Logic: Propositional and predicate calculus; Boolean expressions; truth-tables; logical equivalence.

Introduction to 2D and 3D vectors and matrices.

Set Theory: Notion of sets, standard set operators and the algebra of sets, special sets of numbers and the concept of types.

Relations and functions: Conceps and applications of relations and functions; classification of reations and functions. Graphs of functions.

Finite State Machines and languages: Main concepts of strings and languages; finite state machines and their representations; deterministic and non-deterministic finite state machines.

Information from
https://www.courses.hull.ac.uk/modules/1011/08125.html
I see, is it just quantitative methods?.
I mean, do they explain to you the algorhythims in solving the equations or do you have to learn them yourself?..
I never did A- Level maths.

and cool Jam_rules, me too :smile:
Reply 7
I would think that they would provide all the information and explainations needed.

The module's aim is stated as
"To cover the mathematics requirements for computing for students without any advanced mathematics."
So i would think that's it ok even if u haven't done A-levels
I mean, when we did GCSE maths we did cover algebra (which is basically that correct?).. i kinda got 100% on my gcse maths when i really put my head down on it.. unfortunantly i did foundation so i only got a C lol.
But.. now i have forgotten it all together.

Jam_rules, il probably see you on the monday then! (il be the asian guy)- probably be the only asian guy in the uni from what i hear >.>
Reply 9
Original post by DireStraits80
[...] and only a small amount of python programming practice? ?

Note that this is based on CS in Norway, but it seems pretty universal - they assume that you have little to no previous knowledge of programming before you begin. It's an advantage to understand the basics, but not a must. If you have done some programming, you'll be ahead of some of the others, congratulations!
Original post by IamTHElegend
Im on the same boat mate, Im studying in Hull. Im soooo not keen on the maths bit. I SUCK at maths. so bad i got a D in GCSE. Only subject im bad at.
I did manage to get a C again in college but it seems theres maths involved in computer science.

I start on monday and the maths bit is stressing me out, really bad. What 'maths' is involved in this subject? I need to know what to study...

thanks TSR

why did you choose CS if you hate maths? you should have done your research.

let me put it like this, Computer science is maths. Linear programming, matrix algebra, differential equations etc.
Reply 11
I was hoping that they didn't expect any programming experience since i have none
Original post by House Dagoth
why did you choose CS if you hate maths? you should have done your research.

let me put it like this, Computer science is maths. Linear programming, matrix algebra, differential equations etc.

Well, i understand programming languages is my main reason.. and computing is my strongest subject.

I knew there was maths involved, i just needed to know what. Then i can study it to turn that hate into love :smile: -though i still probably wont enjoy it.
Reply 13
Im sure they will explain how you work the maths side of CS. You can ask the lecturers for external resources so if your struggeling with it you can find youtube tutorial videos which will HELP you out a lot
Reply 14
I was also wondering about the number of students taking the course, i guess it change depending on where you study but anyone have an idea
Reply 15
Original post by Jam_Rules
I was also wondering about the number of students taking the course, i guess it change depending on where you study but anyone have an idea

It varies but most students who want to enter a good university look at the league ranking system for CS.
Reply 16
I did when applying but i didn't notice it listed the number of entries
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jam_Rules
I did when applying but i didn't notice it listed the number of entries

Im sure we were packed at 200+ entried for computer science? Hull was ranked top 30 if im not mistaken.

@NextCS -
thanks that really releives alot of pressure :smile:
And yeah i use youtube to learn things by myself! i jsut need to get confident at the maths subject again
Reply 18
I had a mate who studied computer science, and the Maths in there looked difficult to me and I had an A at GCSE. Looked far harder than any GCSE stuff I ever did that's for sure.
Reply 19
@IamTHElegend

Thanks, around 200 seems about right, i think it might have said something like that in the booklet with the list of courses

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending