The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snapescape
Lady Margaret Hall :smile: what about you?

Beware of naked Martin
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
Nope, I'm as far off from an Israeli as possible :tongue:

Cool stuff. Shalom :wink:

So you're a Palestinian? :wink:
Original post by zigzog7

Original post by zigzog7
Beware of naked Martin

:confused:
Original post by pai2502
Hey I've applied to Exeter too! When did you apply? which course? oh, and Congratulations for your offer!

I applied October 15th (at 12am GMT) for psychology. :lol: Thank you! :smile:
Original post by AnimalSpirit
So you're a Palestinian? :wink:

i'm a bit afraid of what i started now

i don't want four million pages of palestine/israel debate :nooo:
(edited 12 years ago)
the cambridge thread is bout 30 pages longer. :frown:
Reply 8046
No acknowledgement from the university yet -__-
Reply 8047
Original post by Snapescape
That's really nice of you to offer :smile:
I was wondering if you could give me any tips in particular on comparing prose and poetry? I'm still not quite sure whether to go for analysing just the poetry or just the prose or a cross-over... if you see what I mean!
Also, did you feel the need to go over the time of 30 minutes for reading and annotating the passages? I'm just really worried about running out of time :colondollar:

I personally think it really doesn't matter; I compared a (relatively) modern poem with an excerpt of a 17th century novel. The thing with the ELAT is that absolutely anything goes. Every text or poem in the test could be compared with everything else, that's just how the test is designed (a comforting thought in case you're freaking out after your first read). So just go for the texts you feel you could write something meaningful about :smile:

I went waaay over 30 minutes of reading and preparing. I think I was closer to one hour of preparation and 30 minutes of actual writing :redface: That's just me though; during the exam I freaked out a bit because the only other girl taking the test began writing after just 15 minutes! Don't let what anyone else does influence you; everyone has their own methods and you should definitely stick to whatever works for you.

If there's anything else you're worried about, I'm glad to help! I was incredibly scared of taking the ELAT and nearly cried after handing it in (that's how convinced I was that I'd messed up!), while eventually it turned out I got a 50/60 :smile: The ELAT is nothing to be scared off, I promise!
Original post by medbh4805
Well, since they're talking about German....

Spoiler

Brilliant :biggrin:
Original post by Devil_in_disguise

WHAT! Madness! I thought we had crushed them in the summer!

:angry:
Original post by punctuation

Exactly!:angry: They've organized a vendetta!!! :eek:
Exactly!:angry: They've organized a vendetta!!! :eek:

Damn it! This calls for... revenge... :colone:
Damn it! This calls for... revenge... :colone:

Exactly, let's discuss my chances at McGill university or smth till we catch up :biggrin:
Original post by Ambs
I personally think it really doesn't matter; I compared a (relatively) modern poem with an excerpt of a 17th century novel. The thing with the ELAT is that absolutely anything goes. Every text or poem in the test could be compared with everything else, that's just how the test is designed (a comforting thought in case you're freaking out after your first read). So just go for the texts you feel you could write something meaningful about :smile:

I went waaay over 30 minutes of reading and preparing. I think I was closer to one hour of preparation and 30 minutes of actual writing :redface: That's just me though; during the exam I freaked out a bit because the only other girl taking the test began writing after just 15 minutes! Don't let what anyone else does influence you; everyone has their own methods and you should definitely stick to whatever works for you.

If there's anything else you're worried about, I'm glad to help! I was incredibly scared of taking the ELAT and nearly cried after handing it in (that's how convinced I was that I'd messed up!), while eventually it turned out I got a 50/60 :smile: The ELAT is nothing to be scared off, I promise!

how did you find structuring the essay?
Well, since they're talking about German....

Spoiler

:rofl: love it !

that's what I thought :beard: are you Israeli? :smile:

i'm learning Hebrew atm :ninja:

I've come to the conclusion that you're currently learning every language in existence :biggrin:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Well, either way, quality not quantity, and we know that this thread is full of pure awesomeness! :wink:

Tonight has been just bluuurgh :frown: And now i'm sat here refreshing my e-mails as if i'm going to get an interview from somewhere in the middle of the night... i can hope :tongue:
Original post by manic_fuzz

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Well, either way, quality not quantity, and we know that this thread is full of pure awesomeness! :wink:

Tonight has been just bluuurgh :frown: And now i'm sat here refreshing my e-mails as if i'm going to get an interview from somewhere in the middle of the night... i can hope :tongue:

I love how if we are ahead of them, we are obviously cooler, let's have a motto for it and if we are not...we are obviously cooler because we have a life, let's have a motto "Qualitas>Quantitas" or whatever :biggrin:

I thought checking mail at weekends pointless :s-smilie:
Reply 8056

I think you can blame the SAQ for those posts. It's quite surprising how many intelligent people can't follow simple instructions or consult a PDF guide on how to fill the form.
Original post by PinkiizPhet
I made an open application and they replied me at 2pm today. I'm sure they will e-mail you soon. :smile:

Hey,

I'm an open applicant too :smile: did they send you a letter about which college you're being assigned to yet?
I love how if we are ahead of them, we are obviously cooler, let's have a motto for it and if we are not...we are obviously cooler because we have a life, let's have a motto "Qualitas>Quantitas" or whatever :biggrin:

:cool: it's true though, we're just always cooler, regardless of our position, we could have no posts and still be amazing!

I'm no good with mottos, haha :tongue:

And maybe so, but i just have urges to check my hotmail and then my track and then refresh my hotmail and on and on! aahh!
Exactly, let's discuss my chances at McGill university or smth till we catch up :biggrin:

Oh, yes, hooray! I'd love to! :biggrin: McGill is awesome... :smile: What are you applying for?

Qualitas > Quantitas sounds awesome :P

*waits to get punched by classics applicants*

Latest

Trending

Trending