The Student Room Group

Rape:'Why didn't you take a taxi?'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimbo1234
Haha! I'm the OP :facepalm: I think I know why I made this thread. You just got shown to be wrong and now are going into denial.

I was responding to your post of this:
Oh my god, what is it with peoples nowadays thinking that blame can only be on one person?! :angry:

The OP is irrelevant as this is what we were arguing on. In this case I was correct not you, if it was the OP then you would be but it was not the OP I was referring.
Reply 301
Original post by tehFrance
I was responding to your post of this:

The OP is irrelevant as this is what we were arguing on. In this case I was correct not you, if it was the OP then you would be but it was not the OP I was referring.

So then you are saying that rape can never be the womans fault and that she has no responsibility to herself for staying safe?
So then you are saying that rape can never be the womans fault and that she has no responsibility to herself for staying safe?

FFS, it can rarely be the woman's fault... women in skinny jeans are at fault to an extent like I have said before.

Just because a woman is hot does not make it her fault she was raped.
As for the whole taxi thing, taxis can be a bit...dodgy if they haven't been booked orr they are not part of a properly licensed company. Yeah, rapists and murderers can become cabbies if they want, so Eamon's comment was a bit retarded keeping that in mind. Plus cabs are so expensive, I usually walk it when I'm on my own, though I am not a bird.

Its not really a question of responsibility so much as it is a question of survival. What I mean is that a woman might want to take necessary precautions for herself because it is good for her not because she is to blame or anything if something happens to her.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 304
What a disturbing society we live in, especially considering the fact that taxi drivers are known to rape women as well. :frown:

That comment was totally not necessary and was cold. Eamon should get sacked.
Reply 305
FFS, it can rarely be the woman's fault... women in skinny jeans are at fault to an extent like I have said before.

Just because a woman is hot does not make it her fault she was raped.

Wow, if only life was that simple.
So the woman who is drunk and invites a drunk stranger to her house or goes to theirs is not doing anything stupid?
The girl who walks back alone at night is doing so because it is a great idea?

:curious:

Original post by AberLAD
What a disturbing society we live in, especially considering the fact that taxi drivers are known to rape women as well. :frown:

That comment was totally not necessary and was cold. Eamon should get sacked.

Look at this thread.
That comment should be put in every advertising slot as women nowadays are living in some dream world.

Original post by RandomChap
As for the whole taxi thing, taxis can be a bit...dodgy if they haven't been booked orr they are not part of a properly licensed company. Yeah, rapists and murderers can become cabbies if they want, so Eamon's comment was a bit retarded keeping that in mind. Plus cabs are so expensive, I usually walk it when I'm on my own, though I am not a bird.

Its not really a question of responsibility so much as it is a question of survival. What I mean is that a woman might want to take necessary precautions for herself because it is good for her not because she is to blame or anything if something happens to her.

If she ends up in a bad situation which was easily avoidable with some common sense then I do think she is partially to blame. Just simple consequences.
(edited 12 years ago)
So the woman who is drunk and invites a drunk stranger to her house or goes to theirs is not doing anything stupid?

The girl who walks back alone at night is doing so because it is a great idea?

That is not rape, even though she is drunk it is consensual.

Or she has no money left over, there can be many reasons.
Taking a taxi is not necessarily protection. My sister almost got raped by the taxi driver twice; once when the driver drove into an archway, but didn't quite get close enough to the wall to block the door from opening so she squeezed out, ran down street screaming and people were shouting out of their windows for her to shut-up! It was in Notting Hill. Second time in Munich; she was a bit drunk & turkish driver drove her to back street, but luckily she made too much fuss & he drove her home & just took all her money instead! :confused::angry:
If she ends up in a bad situation which was easily avoidable with some common sense then I do think she is partially to blame. Just simple consequences.

Yeah maybe (I meant 'blame' as in moral responsibility, not necessarily something being the cause of one's actions). I nearly got in a random taxi mind the other day, but the chap looked really perverted and I thought better of it.

I don't know, I think a culture which instils that kind of fear into people, where they are too afraid to do things normally is a breeding ground for criminal behaviour since those sorts of people are the very types who would use that fear against people.

For example, maybe we'd all be safer if there were loads of clubbers walking home at 3am together rather than being too afraid to walk home by themselves?

Mate, even if she says 'no' at the last possible minute it is still rape if the chap goes ahead.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 309

Or she has no money left over, there can be many reasons.

No - I mean the girls that invite stranger back, drunk, tease them, then wonder why the guy doesn't take no as an answer.
Some girls put themselves in dangerous positions due to idiocy and because of that, what happens is partly their fault.
Reply 310
I think of it like this. I've walked home before and one night got smacked several times by a bloke at 3am. First question everyone asks is 'why were you on your own at 3am, why didn't you get a taxi'.

Apply that to a female walking home on their own, no different in the slightest. You should ask that question.
take up self-defense classes...
and choose carefully who you hang around with, and at what times, and what you do when you go out.

self defense for women is easy for those that are in such a scenario.... a hard kick in the groins, a poke in the eye, a hard kick to the knee, scratching, punches with both hands at the same time, backfist punches, elbows, locks will give you some valuable time to avoid it , shout for help RAAAPIISTT!!! Help! lol , cross the road , be ready to run, don't get run over etc...

at that time it might stun you and feel scared, perhaps psychologically low and not be able to react on time, so take your precautions and be ready for anything ...

don't go out at night entirely by yourself and don't get drunk or do drugs.. they might even pour something into your drink, a female 'friend' might be the one to deceive you... you can never know
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 312
So man sees hot woman, he wants her, woman says no, he proceeds to rape her, she tries to fight back... how is this in anyway the females fault?

(Women wearing skinny jeans are an exception, you cannot get those things off so that can lead to both parties being at fault and in some cases it not even being rape as if she took them off she could of consented).

That is ridiculously stupid... ignoring the fact that they're not that hard to take off, if she's is scared into taking them off how does that equal consent? Or mean it's her fault?
Maybe if these women covered up a little and wern't out in bra and panties practically inviting rape, they wouldn't be.
Whilst I know it's not always possible for everyone depending on where you live etc., I would never put myself in the situation where I had to choose between taking a taxi home alone or walking home alone. In my book, they're as bad as each other. If you take the logic that 99% of the people you meet on the way home are honest people, it's just the 1% that are nutters that you need to worry about, the same logic can apply to taxi drivers, and to be honest, once you're in a taxi, you can't even try to run away or scream. I realise that I'm overcautious, but I just don't think it's worth the risk. I've always been lucky in that my parents and friends' parents were willing to take turns to play taxi driver when we went out and dropped us al off at the door, or when we learnt to drive we took it in turns ourselves; at uni we all lived in the same place and town was very close. Now, I either drive myself and make sure I'm walked to my car or make sure I'm with someone, e.g. staying at someone's house.

Eamon Holmes needs to learn some tact.
Reply 315
If you see a fire and decide to put it out with your hand, who's fault is it if you get burnt? Your own.
If you knows it's slippery outside as it's been raining but you decide to run to the shop in your heels, who's fault is it if you slip? Your own.
If it's 3am and you decide to walk home down a dark alley or through the park on your own, who's fault is it if you get raped? Your own.

Share a taxi with friends, walk home with people you know or just stick to well lit streets with quite a few people on them. Yes the man is committing a crime for raping the women, but she has no one to blame but herself for getting in that situation.
Reply 316
Original post by Derfel
If you see a fire and decide to put it out with your hand, who's fault is it if you get burnt? Your own.
If you knows it's slippery outside as it's been raining but you decide to run to the shop in your heels, who's fault is it if you slip? Your own.
If it's 3am and you decide to walk home down a dark alley or through the park on your own, who's fault is it if you get raped? Your own.

Share a taxi with friends, walk home with people you know or just stick to well lit streets with quite a few people on them. Yes the man is committing a crime for raping the women, but she has no one to blame but herself for getting in that situation.

Sounds like something a rapist would say.
i do agree with him in the aspect that if its really late in the middle of the night and you choose to walk through a alley way or a park or whatever instead of getting a taxi home is pretty stupid...but maybe he couldve been more senstitive about it
You say that, yet look at peoples replies.
They keep saying liberal phrases such as " we shouldn't have to liver in fear" etc and think that they way to do this is to not take a taxi back, even though they know of the dangers.
That mentality has come around recently (see the Slut Parade crap) and I think this is why the host was repeating it so much, not as to tell her off, but to tell people at home that you should always get a taxi back at night.

I see your point, but I can't be bothered arguing with you about it because you clearly aren't going to change your mind.

The impression I got from the slut parades was that they were originally to raise awareness of the fact that it is not only drunken, scantily-clad women who are raped (because of the whole "don't dress like a slut" comment the policeman made). The whole thing was blown out of proportion, anyway, and people interpreted it in all sorts of ways, but I don't think anyone was telling women not to be cautious simply because the risks shouldn't be there, as you are suggesting.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree about Holmes' interview. I just think that he could have used the opportunity to warn viewers about the dangers without being so insensitive.

It is silly as it is so rare you might as well not mention it. You could argue not to go outside because of falling plane parts, but because it is so rare, we ignore it.
Ah, walking a dog is different as it can take you to secluded areas and this too should be told to people. However, as far as walking back down a street is concerned, you will be fine during the day.

But where do you draw the line between safe and not safe; sensible/cautious and overly-cautious/paranoid?

Probably yes. A taxi would be the cost of 2, maybe 3 drinks?
Well, why talk about taking a taxi at any other time? The rape was at night, and this is the topic - walking back on your own late at night.

I was agreeing with you there :wink: If you can't afford a taxi back, you should cut back on the number of drinks you buy. The point I was making was that coming back from a night drinking isn't the only situation where you could be walking alone at night.
Original post by Derfel

The first two examples involve the decisions of only one person; I don't see how they are comparable.

It would be my fault if I ran into a rapist, but the rapist's fault if they decided to rape me. Obviously I could have avoided the risk, but ultimately the rapist is the only one to blame when someone is raped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending