The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Is UCLAN 'scummy'?

I have heard different things. Some say it is plush and modern others say trampy.

I'm trying to decide between this and Dundee for my final choice but hear both are pretty manky....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing a computing course and all of the facilities, from the lecture/seminar rooms to the SU, gym etc are all as nice and modern as could be.. The place is definitely not scummy, either the University itself, or Preston as a whole.
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 2
Lol it was voted top modern university the other year (or might still have that title?)
It's not a scummy uni but the city isn't anything to rave about
Uclan isn't scummy.

Preston is.
Reply 4
I did my undergraduate studies at UCLAN, and I found it a nice place to go. The people are friendly. The tutors are friendly and approachable. The facilities as well are excellent, especially the computing, library and sporting facilities. There's also a good night life there as well.

You can't really go wrong with it at all for the type of university it is... By this I mean, if you get top UCAS points you tend to go to a Manchester or Lancaster or that type of university, whereas if you are getting C's and such, the choice is to go to a more modern university like a UCLAN. For me, for the type of uni it is, UCLAN is one of the best in the country and I'd certainly be happy to recommend it to my friends.
Original post by TheBeautyofFilm
Uclan isn't scummy.

Preston is.

I would say preston is like any other town city. You have good bits and the more rougher areas.

The university and the surrounding campus are pretty good. You do have a more working class kind of feel to it though, the area I mean.

I certainly woudn't call it scummy. Just normal.
Original post by Average_Aaron
I have heard different things. Some say it is plush and modern others say trampy.

I'm trying to decide between this and Dundee for my final choice but hear both are pretty manky....

UCLAN is good for a range of subjects. It's exceptionally well for an ex-poly.
Reply 7
UCLan is definitely not scummy! There's been a ridiculous amount of money spent on new buildings and new facilities and as people have said already, we were voted top modern university.
Reply 8
Preston seems okay but Burnley is terrible!
Original post by Fergy
Preston seems okay but Burnley is terrible!

Burnley is terrible, you're right.
Reply 10
I'm looking at going here, because I want to do sports journalism, which UCLAN is good for. I saw a bit at the open day, the actual uni looks fairly average, Preston itself is pretty rank.
The worst decision I have ever made was coming here.
Reply 12
The uni is really good. The library is modern and has lots of top facilities. The campus is good too - most buildings are new and have good classrooms.

The city though is pretty **** tbh. Plungington Road is where a lot of students live after their first year, it's only a 5-10 minute walk from uni and it's full of scumbags. Lots of chavvy locals.

I came from a big city (Glasgow), so to come to Preston has been downgrading so to speak. For the course I'm studying I wouldn't recommend it - Outdoor Leadership. However, for most other courses it's probably pretty good.

I'm sick of the city though, there's nothing to do here and I find it pretty un-inspiring. I've got mates who have come from Blackpool, Wigan etc - small towns, so they enjoy Preston.

I'm looking forward to when I leave now.
Reply 13
Original post by FallonSmith
Burnley is terrible, you're right.

Managed to get a transfer to another uni, thankfully. Would advise against anyone going there. It's a college, not a uni and there's barely any nightlife.
Original post by Fergy
Managed to get a transfer to another uni, thankfully. Would advise against anyone going there. It's a college, not a uni and there's barely any nightlife.

I know, I live in burnley and pass burnley college or 'uclan' everyday. It's not a uni. All the uni students there have to share facilities with the college kids
Reply 15
Preston is depressing.
Reply 16

Yeah, it's a complete ****hole...
Original post by Fergy

Original post by Fergy

Out of interest, where did you transfer too and what for?

I'm currently in the process.
Reply 18
Sheffield Hallam. Was supposed to be going there original but there was a mix-up with my results, which led to me going to UCLan through clearing. Was on the Computers Games Enterprise course, now doing Games Software Development, much better course.
Reply 19
I've ended up in Preston under Manchester medical school, and the place is certainly a hole relative to home and St-Andrews where I did my preclinical.

Parts of the town look rather nice, but since the cloth industry died it seems to have gone to the dogs. Even in the supposedly nice parts you still need to lock away your satnav, and use a decent bike lock. The nice bits are just that bit too close to really horrid parts. Northern towns aren't segregated in the same way as elsewhere in the country.

If you like to paint yourself orange though you should fit in just fine with the UCLAN lot (though perhaps those are just the most visible ones).

Dundee is pretty much the same in fairness.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending