The Student Room Group

London Met or Greenwich for Graphic Design?

Which is better for Graphic design - London Met or University of Greenwich?
Neither are particularly well known for their graphic design degrees.

Is there a reason you’re looking at these two in particular?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Neither are particularly well known for their graphic design degrees.

Is there a reason you’re looking at these two in particular?

I’ve submitted a late application for graphic design starting in September and I’ve only applied for London unis with vacancies as I don’t want to wait a year.

I have offers from London Met, Greenwich, West London and Ravensbourne.

I narrowed it down to London Met and Greenwich based on preference. Would be great to know your thoughts.

For some context, I have achieved 144 ucas points with an access to he diploma in law and business and decided to pursue graphic design (without much of a design background but a good portfolio). Do you think I could do better than these unis?

On a completely separate note, my family are thinking of moving up north (lancashire) and saw that UCLan has a graphic design course. Do you know anything about whether this is a good uni?

Thanks very much
London Met and Greenwich are both perfectly decent options. Their graduates produce some excellent work, but they aren't particularly selective so the 'average' quality of work won't be as high as the 'better' courses.

Ravensbourne (historically) has the best reputation but the BA in Advertising and Brand Design there seems to be doing much better work (imo) that the GD course.

However, if i were you - i'd go to UCLan. It might not have the name or the glamour, but it's been one of the best GD courses in the country for years. Their students win heaps of awards, they're very well connected with the best agencies etc. Plus it's much cheaper to live there than London. It's a no-brainer.
Reply 4
DO NOT go to london met. Go elsewhere, just not there. (Capitalisation wrong on purpose).
Reply 5
Original post by insidedesigner
London Met and Greenwich are both perfectly decent options. Their graduates produce some excellent work, but they aren't particularly selective so the 'average' quality of work won't be as high as the 'better' courses.

Ravensbourne (historically) has the best reputation but the BA in Advertising and Brand Design there seems to be doing much better work (imo) that the GD course.

However, if i were you - i'd go to UCLan. It might not have the name or the glamour, but it's been one of the best GD courses in the country for years. Their students win heaps of awards, they're very well connected with the best agencies etc. Plus it's much cheaper to live there than London. It's a no-brainer.

Thank you, that’s really helpful!
Reply 6
Original post by KKK90
DO NOT go to london met. Go elsewhere, just not there. (Capitalisation wrong on purpose).

I’m edging towards Greenwich or UCLan. Thank you for your comment
Reply 7

Hello,

I hope you are well.

I was wondering if you could offer any advice as to whether UCLan or Manchester Met is better for Graphic Design? My concern with UCLan is that, coming from London, the city is quite small and with not lots to do. Would be great to hear your views.
Original post by booklover101
Hello,

I hope you are well.

I was wondering if you could offer any advice as to whether UCLan or Manchester Met is better for Graphic Design? My concern with UCLan is that, coming from London, the city is quite small and with not lots to do. Would be great to hear your views.

Hi there,

It's great to hear you are considering studying at UCLan. We understand that you might want some more clarity on which university to choose so we thought we could highlight some of the opportunities that are available to you studying Graphic Design at UCLan:
- Each year our students are successful in winning prestigious awards
These include D&AD (Design and Art Direction), YCN (Young Creative Network) and Creative Conscience to name a few.

-We have strong links to the industry and hold a yearly Degree Show
Our degree shows features work from a range of Arts & Media students (including graphic design) where students can win additional awards for their work, in association with Creative Lancashire.

-History of successful students
Many of our graduates have gone on to secure creative roles in leading graphic design and creative agencies. And have a reputation in the industry for producing the highest quality work.

Preston
While Preston is a smaller city, it still has a lot to offer. There is a mixture of city life and close access to the countryside and beach, making it a varied atmosphere. The city has a host of food and drink spots which you can discover on socials using #MyPreston.

We hope this has helped you make a decision!

^Sara
Hello,

I hope you are well.

There's no such thing as 'better', just best for you. Manchester Met is a good course, but different in character. It's a bit more experimental, and collaborative and 'art school'. UCLan is more commercially focused, leaning towards packaging/branding work. It's also much smaller in terms of institution and course size (which is a good thing imo). I'd always recommend UCLan but if you prefer the work that students produce at MM, and prefer the buzz of a big city (and can afford the living costs) then MM could be the right choice.
There's no such thing as 'better', just best for you. Manchester Met is a good course, but different in character. It's a bit more experimental, and collaborative and 'art school'. UCLan is more commercially focused, leaning towards packaging/branding work. It's also much smaller in terms of institution and course size (which is a good thing imo). I'd always recommend UCLan but if you prefer the work that students produce at MM, and prefer the buzz of a big city (and can afford the living costs) then MM could be the right choice.

Thank you, that’s really helpful. I have decided to go for UCLan.
Thank you, that’s really helpful. I have decided to go for UCLan.

Hi there @booklover101, :smile:

It's great to hear that you have decided to go for UCLan!

If you have any questions about life here at UCLan I will be more than happy to help answer them.

All the best, :smile:
Sarah
Original post by UCLan Ambassador
Hi there @booklover101, :smile:

It's great to hear that you have decided to go for UCLan!

If you have any questions about life here at UCLan I will be more than happy to help answer them.

All the best, :smile:
Sarah

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest