The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tasha96
All your schools offered Latin? :eek:
I'd love to learn that! Was it popular? I didn't think it was taught very much any more. :smile:

None of my schools offered Latin, I'm studying it from scratch at university.
Thought you might like this :smile:
Original post by riotgrrl
None of my schools offered Latin, I'm studying it from scratch at university.

Ah, right. That must be even harder!
I've always liked the way latin sounds when it's spoken. It's pretty (if a language can be pretty :tongue:) and always seems to have such a nice flow to it- if that makes sense. :biggrin:
Reply 9523
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Primark vouchers :drool:

I used to live by that motto, till I discovered Primark bras. BEST BRAS EVER!

They don't do them in my size. :frown:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:ninjagirl:

I wrote to the brothers at Taizé about my PhD idea and they want to speak to me in person about it when I come to visit them, which probably won't happen before the funding deadline :no:

That sounds quite hectic! :eek: How long til the Christmas break? :smile:

You're going to Taize? Exciting!!
Original post by tasha96
Ah, right. That must be even harder!
I've always liked the way latin sounds when it's spoken. It's pretty (if a language can be pretty :tongue:) and always seems to have such a nice flow to it- if that makes sense. :biggrin:

It really is, especially if you listen to someone who knows what they're doing with pronunciation and the like. It IS tough going and sometimes I wonder why I chose to do it, but at the end of the day it's a challenge and I'm stubborn so I kind of want to crack it.
She sounds like a ray of sunshine :tongue: I keep wanting an excuse to be in Worcester; loads of my friends have caught a glimpse of Emma Watson and I feel left out >.<

I had the opportunity to hear her sing at the open mic night but got ill and had to flee the city quite quickly :frown:

Original post by tasha96
I'd love to learn that! Was it popular? I didn't think it was taught very much any more. :smile:

My school offered Latin GCSE in one year (in Year 9, of all years!) to those on the borough's Gifted and Talented list. They were the only ones who got to do Latin. I was on the school list but not the borough list. My form tutor appealed to the deputy head, asking her to let me did it, but deputy head said no :frown:

Original post by d123
You're going to Taize? Exciting!!

Yes, hopefully next year. Then I hope to do a PhD about it and live with the community for a year :eek2:
Reply 9526
I know, right?! :teeth: You have a very sensible policy going there :yep: I was thinking about buying a new coat (my beautiful Dorothy Perkins one is now a size too small :cry2: ), if I can find a decent one. Or lots of slipper socks. Or a monkey onesie. I quite like the idea of sitting at home dressed as a monkey :yep:

obviously this is off topic a bit now but primark has such good fluffy socks!! I have a whole drawer full :colondollar: I think I actually have more fluffy socks than regular socks. But they are just SO soft, and fifty pounds spent on them would definitely be fifty pounds well spent :mmm: (although of course a monkey onesie is also worthwhile especially if it has feet)
Original post by Josiea
obviously this is off topic a bit now but primark has such good fluffy socks!! I have a whole drawer full :colondollar: I think I actually have more fluffy socks than regular socks. But they are just SO soft, and fifty pounds spent on them would definitely be fifty pounds well spent :mmm: (although of course a monkey onesie is also worthwhile especially if it has feet)

A whole drawer full would be amazing :awesome: I think my mum wouldn't be too impressed with me though. The vouchers were a birthday present from her to get nice new clothes. So if I turned up with 25 pairs of fluffy socks, she might be a bit displeased :frown: Though I'm sure a monkey onesie would please her. Maybe :ninja:
Reply 9528
I had the opportunity to hear her sing at the open mic night but got ill and had to flee the city quite quickly :frown:

My school offered Latin GCSE in one year (in Year 9, of all years!) to those on the borough's Gifted and Talented list. They were the only ones who got to do Latin. I was on the school list but not the borough list. My form tutor appealed to the deputy head, asking her to let me did it, but deputy head said no :frown:

Yes, hopefully next year. Then I hope to do a PhD about it and live with the community for a year :eek2:

That's exciting, good luck! It's an amazing and inspiring place. I want to go back, I think I need another dose of Taize
Reply 9529
A whole drawer full would be amazing :awesome: I think my mum wouldn't be too impressed with me though. The vouchers were a birthday present from her to get nice new clothes. So if I turned up with 25 pairs of fluffy socks, she might be a bit displeased :frown: Though I'm sure a monkey onesie would please her. Maybe :ninja:

Ah but if you wore them every day you are clearly getting good use out of them :rolleyes: And if the monkey onesie were something you wore during the day again it is very practical :biggrin:
Original post by d123
That's exciting, good luck! It's an amazing and inspiring place. I want to go back, I think I need another dose of Taize

It really does sound wonderful. I just wish I could go sometime soon. No way my parents will let me out of their sight during Holy Week (bad anniversary reactions) to go, so have to wait til the summer. There's a Universities trip which I might sign up for. Just waiting for an email from one of the chaplains organising it :yes:

Original post by Josiea
Ah but if you wore them every day you are clearly getting good use out of them :rolleyes: And if the monkey onesie were something you wore during the day again it is very practical :biggrin:

I like your thinking :cool: PRSOM :frown:
Reply 9531

I want a onesie now :biggrin: !

My ear has gone bright red and is very much uncomfortably hot, and mum said I am probably getting an infection :frown::frown: If I get an ear infection now I'm going to stay in bed and be incredibly grumpy until it heals. And consume my body weight in satsumas. I just thought I would let everybody know :wink:
And it's just clicked that not only is tomorrow going to be my last ever school carol service but its also my last ever year at school :eek::afraid:
Glad you still managed to have fun :smile: Though YAY for upcoming holidays :woo:

My school thought I wasn't clever enough to do Latin :no: :angry: :facepalm:

Yea, I can't wait. :ahee:

Aww, well trust me, you didn't miss out :tongue:

I've only just gotten back into it now that I'm home for the holidays- I got all annoyed when he fired the original team and stopped watching. I still don't like them as much and Kutner's gone and shot himself so I suppose there'll be another new one soon.
Ahhh Caecillius, what a legend! Sad ending though :frown:

I didn't like Kutner's getting cut out of the show but, they more than make up for it tbh. It gets really good :yes:

So much ash :moon:

Original post by tasha96

:facepalm2: It was not popular. No one wanted to do it. I'm pretty sure between our year we made 2 latin teachers leave in tears. Grammar schools can be rough too :sadnod:

Original post by PoziHQ
Can I join. Although I must say, it would be kookier if you said we were the cult of Jesus Christ- it kind of gives us the edgy, motorcycle club image. After all, Jesus was the ultimate rebel, and definitely wasn't afraid to get angry ( not that I'm promoting violence, I'm promoting anger for injustice).

Cult isn't really the thing we're going for here....
Reply 9533
It really does sound wonderful. I just wish I could go sometime soon. No way my parents will let me out of their sight during Holy Week (bad anniversary reactions) to go, so have to wait til the summer. There's a Universities trip which I might sign up for. Just waiting for an email from one of the chaplains organising it :yes:

Ooh, is that the UK-wide universities trip? I might be going on that!
I'm a christian as well- and I have a strong relationship with God. He is completely an important part of my life. I guess I was just trying to be funny-forget the motorcycle stuff- but a cult is a group of people who follow an ideal, a set of ideals, or a figure. We are a group of people, and we are following Jesus. Your association with cult is negative, yet the fact that we are a cult is the raw structure of Christianity. It isolates the need for humans to follow leaders within the church, but completely focuses on Jesus as the shepherd, and us the sheep.
cult/kəlt/
Noun:
A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

Jesus was actually very anti religion. What he wanted, was a lifestyle change. Cult epitomizes this, in my opinion, much better than "christianity", because there are so many negative connotations.
Original post by Josiea
I want a onesie now :biggrin: !

My ear has gone bright red and is very much uncomfortably hot, and mum said I am probably getting an infection :frown::frown: If I get an ear infection now I'm going to stay in bed and be incredibly grumpy until it heals. And consume my body weight in satsumas. I just thought I would let everybody know :wink:
And it's just clicked that not only is tomorrow going to be my last ever school carol service but its also my last ever year at school :eek::afraid:

:hugs: Might I suggest you recuperate in bed in a onesie with fluffy socks on top? :awesome:

Original post by d123
Ooh, is that the UK-wide universities trip? I might be going on that!

That's the one :yep: Except I wouldn't be going with Goldsmiths, or Oxford even, so apparently I need a letter of "personal recommendation" :s-smilie: Just waiting for clarification on what that actually means :ninja:
Original post by PoziHQ

Original post by PoziHQ
I'm a christian as well- and I have a strong relationship with God. He is completely an important part of my life. I guess I was just trying to be funny-forget the motorcycle stuff- but a cult is a group of people who follow an ideal, a set of ideals, or a figure. We are a group of people, and we are following Jesus. Your association with cult is negative, yet the fact that we are a cult is the raw structure of Christianity. It isolates the need for humans to follow leaders within the church, but completely focuses on Jesus as the shepherd, and us the sheep.
cult/kəlt/
Noun:
A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

Jesus was actually very anti religion. What he wanted, was a lifestyle change. Cult epitomizes this, in my opinion, much better than "christianity", because there are so many negative connotations.

What? Cult as a word in its 17th century origin has severe socialogical negative connotations. It is used to describe the practise of following a set ideology which is considered abnormal or bizarre. Whilst I wouldn't say Christianity is the norm, I certainly wouldn't label it as bizarre or abnormal. I can see what you mean, but I'm pretty sure Christianity in its rawest form has a lot less negative connotations as compared to a cult.

I don't see why religion and 'lifestyle change' are mutually exclusive, if anything the latter is absorbed into the former.

Jesus was never anti-religion, he was anti-corruption. Jesus set out formal rules and teachings to go with his spirituality and a religion being " A formal system of belief in a deity of some sort" would fit perfectly into what Jesus spoke of. Christianity is by no means perfect around the world, granted, however, I would say it has a lot more positive connotations; organised religion as a whole does a lot of good in this world. Much more so than any cult I know.

But you are very welcome to your beliefs and to the society, just thought I'd clarify my thoughts on why I didn't want 'cult' and why I think Christianity does not have negative connotation, rather the contrary, it is seen positively.

Though, this thread is just for light chat. If you want to debate this, please take it to the 'Ask A Christian' thread. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9537
:hugs: Might I suggest you recuperate in bed in a onesie with fluffy socks on top? :awesome:

With hot chocolate :biggrin: That would be perfection.
Sadly I cannot though because my mean psychology teacher (who is actually very nice) informed me yesterday that I have four 24 mark essays still due in.. for this Friday 'if possible'. I was tempted to tell him that doing four essays by Friday is physically impossible but considering they're from about the start of November I didn't think he would take it too well :rolleyes: I've decided that two is probably a good compromise :smile:
Original post by Josiea
With hot chocolate :biggrin: That would be perfection.
Sadly I cannot though because my mean psychology teacher (who is actually very nice) informed me yesterday that I have four 24 mark essays still due in.. for this Friday 'if possible'. I was tempted to tell him that doing four essays by Friday is physically impossible but considering they're from about the start of November I didn't think he would take it too well :rolleyes: I've decided that two is probably a good compromise :smile:

:eek:

Said a prayer for you getting a decent amount done without compromising fun stuff and buying onesies :yep:

Aww. Not very nice of her! Especially if you had shown a real interest like that! :hugs:
What happens in year nine? :colondollar:
Original post by Facticity

Aww, well trust me, you didn't miss out :tongue:

:facepalm2: It was not popular. No one wanted to do it. I'm pretty sure between our year we made 2 latin teachers leave in tears. Grammar schools can be rough too :sadnod:

Oh. Not so good then. :tongue:
I'd of thought it would have been popular! It's not exactly the bog standard french and german that you get in schools.
Then again languages in general aren't that popular in our school. We have 12 kids doing SG german and about 20 doing french. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending