The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chriss-cross
I'm wanting to study Law at Oxbridge and I am currently picking subjects to take for IB. I need to get as close to 45 as possible, and need to pick subjects that it is not extremely difficult to get high marks in. These are what I have decided upon so far;

Geography HL
History HL
English HL

Chemistry SL
Maths SL
French/Spanish SL

I'm still not sure which language to take, but I've got a little bit of time to decide. I will probably speak to my teachers and look at my mock results when I get them.
However, will these subjects be good choices?

Even getting in the 40s is hard, let alone close to 45. I'm doing the same HLs as you . Do Spanish, French sucks. For Law do maths studies, SL isn't needed and it'd be easier to get a 7. Chemistry's fineee.

I'm applying for law at Oxford. I've already researched it.
Original post by GentlemanOfTheRoad
Even getting in the 40s is hard, let alone close to 45. I'm doing the same HLs as you . Do Spanish, French sucks. For Law do maths studies, SL isn't needed and it'd be easier to get a 7. Chemistry's fineee.

I'm applying for law at Oxford. I've already researched it.

Okay, thank you! I'm thinking I might swap Chemistry and English, would that be a bad idea?
I'm wanting to study Law at Oxbridge and I am currently picking subjects to take for IB. I need to get as close to 45 as possible, and need to pick subjects that it is not extremely difficult to get high marks in. These are what I have decided upon so far;

Geography HL
History HL
English HL

Chemistry SL
Maths SL
French/Spanish SL

I'm still not sure which language to take, but I've got a little bit of time to decide. I will probably speak to my teachers and look at my mock results when I get them.
However, will these subjects be good choices?

HL: English, Geography, History
SL: Maths Studies, Biology, French/Spanish ab initio

:smile:
Original post by SandipM :)
HL: English, Geography, History
SL: Maths Studies, Biology, French/Spanish ab initio

:smile:

thanks :smile: I'll probably stick with those highers but I don't think I want to take a language ab initio, purely because I've been learning the languages for over 4 years (spanish) and since I was 3 (french). I just don't think it would be challenging enough for me xD
Okay, thank you! I'm thinking I might swap Chemistry and English, would that be a bad idea?

It's not necessary. English HL is more relevant
Reply 845
Which is better looked at (for architecture especially); psychology or economics? Or is it irrelevant?

thanks
Original post by Crimbs
Which is better looked at (for architecture especially); psychology or economics? Or is it irrelevant?

thanks

Not very relevant really, I'd go for Economics for general understanding, but that's just my view. :smile:
Original post by GentlemanOfTheRoad
It's not necessary. English HL is more relevant

okay thanks, I've decided on English for HL :smile:
you dont need maths HL to do medicine or veterinary, two hl sciences will be enough, my friend has an offer for medicine and she does bio chem and english higher (for 38 points, 6,6,6 HL). take english instead because you dont really have to learn huge amounts for it.
although if your relaly not sure then do a month or so of 4 highers and then decide.
You all seem to have some great ideas.... I might go for IB, and I have... well, an interesting subject mashup.

I plan to take:
HL Visual Art
HL Film Studies
HL Business Management

SL Maths
SL Biology? <-- Is this allowed?!
SL English Lit

How does this mashup- am I allowed this combination? It's rather confusing, as I can't seem to fit in my French, which is a SL. Help!!! Also, what will the work load be like? I'm trying to keep my basic options open, but since my strengths lie mostly in design orientated subjects and oddly, business, I'm taking HL subjects to complement that.

Also, is Economics way harder than Business & Management, or are both roughly the same? I take Business Studies in IGCSE, and I love it- would this help IB Econ or Business Management the most?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 850
Original post by crimson.threads
You all seem to have some great ideas.... I might go for IB, and I have... well, an interesting subject mashup.

I plan to take:
HL Visual Art
HL Film Studies
HL Business Management

SL Maths
SL Biology? <-- Is this allowed?!
SL English Lit

How does this mashup- am I allowed this combination? It's rather confusing, as I can't seem to fit in my French, which is a SL. Help!!! Also, what will the work load be like? I'm trying to keep my basic options open, but since my strengths lie mostly in design orientated subjects and oddly, business, I'm taking HL subjects to complement that.

Also, is Economics way harder than Business & Management, or are both roughly the same? I take Business Studies in IGCSE, and I love it- would this help IB Econ or Business Management the most?

You can't do that combination, as you have two group six subjects (Art and Film). You would have to drop one of those, and then you'd have room for French. You'd then have to bring an SL up to HL to have three of each. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by jwf13
You can't do that combination, as you have two group six subjects (Art and Film). You would have to drop one of those, and then you'd have room for French. You'd then have to bring an SL up to HL to have three of each. Hope this helps :smile:

Ah but the funny thing is, in my school we're allowed that combination, I think. But it ends up with us taking ESS in place of a science to make room, which I have no idea about- it's supposed to be environmental scientific studies? It's rather confusing...

Thanks a lot for that suggestion though, if worst comes to worse, I may just drop art and take HL English or Bio.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ah but the funny thing is, in my school we're allowed that combination, I think. But it ends up with us taking ESS in place of a science to make room, which I have no idea about- it's supposed to be environmental scientific studies? It's rather confusing...

Thanks a lot for that suggestion though, if worst comes to worse, I may just drop art and take HL English or Bio.

No, unless there's a loophole due to ESS, you cannot take your subjects - it is not determined by your school, it is determined by the IBO. You have to take one subject at least from groups 1-5 (language, language, humanity, science, maths) and then either a subject from group 6 (arts) or another on from 1-5.

If you really want to do the two arts subjects you can always have one as the 7th subject! :smile:
Thanks a lot! One more query..... what 7th subject?
Reply 854
Original post by logiadoevus
No, unless there's a loophole due to ESS, you cannot take your subjects - it is not determined by your school, it is determined by the IBO. You have to take one subject at least from groups 1-5 (language, language, humanity, science, maths) and then either a subject from group 6 (arts) or another on from 1-5.

If you really want to do the two arts subjects you can always have one as the 7th subject! :smile:

My friend does ESS, Visual Arts & Film Studies. =S (Art and Film HL)
Reply 855

If you take ESS, then you'll have to drop buisness and management, because the loophole is that ESS counts as a group 3 and 4 subject, so you can take an extra subject of your choice to get six. So yes, you could do ESS, but you'd have to drop B&M, so you'd have: English, French, ESS, Maths, Art and Film. :smile:
Reply 856
I think I've made my IB choices - just:

French HL
Philosophy/ethics HL
English HL
Maths SL
History SL
Physics SL

Do these seem like a good combo? Anyone doing physics standard level care to tell me what it's like?
Original post by Bubba123
snippity snip snip

They're fine.

Physics SL is ok, it requires a good amount of work but if you want an 'easier' science go for Bio or ESS but you'll have a lot to learn in biology.
Reply 858
Original post by chickenonsteroids
They're fine.

Physics SL is ok, it requires a good amount of work but if you want an 'easier' science go for Bio or ESS but you'll have a lot to learn in biology.

I hear bio and ESS are ****takes... I did chem SL and it was a tough 2 years.
Original post by TEEJUS
I hear bio and ESS are ****takes... I did chem SL and it was a tough 2 years.

Are what?

If you like physics take it.

Latest

Trending

Trending