I currently do the IBCP,

I do:
IB HL Chemistry
IB HL Biology
Reflective project
BTEC level 3 engineering
A level maths (privately)
A level tamil (privately)

I have had a strong desire to pursue a career in medicine for a significant amount of time. However, I currently find myself in an unfavorable situation. Although I aspire to attend a highly respected university, my current course only permits limited entries to universities. While attempting to transfer to a different school, I realized that it was too late for me to do so. I performed exceptionally well on my GCSEs and inquired with one of my preferred universities, KCL, if they accepted my course. Although they do, other universities do not acknowledge the IBCP. Consequently, someone advised me to repeat year 12 so I can enroll in A-level courses at another institution. This will allow me to potentially enroll in A-level courses such as chemistry, biology, and psychology (since I am taking A-level math and completing it in 2024). I am curious to know if it is worthwhile to do so. Will my chances of getting into a medical school be reduced since I am repeating a year? Should I stick with my current course and make an effort to be admitted to King's, or should I redo year 12 and open up a range of opportunities to attend excellent universities?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
I think it's more suitable in the IB section. Will ask to move it :smile:
Reply 3
Hi!
I'm not sure if my response is too late but my school offers the IBCP and started offering the IBDP as of this year. I'm in year 13 (finishing the IBCP) and I know two people in my year who stayed back and restarted year 12 so they could do the IBDP rather than the CP. One was also looking to do medicine at uni and the other wanted to do computer science at Imperial, It's awful because they don't warn you before you start the course that some uni's (especially medicine) don't take it. For me it was okay as I applied for english lit, but some uni's i considered applying to did not take it ie Manchester and UCL, whereas Cambridge said they'll take it (for english lit). Just know that you're not the only person who has been in this situation! If you're hard set on medicine I would look at foundation years (and email the uni's) and if not you should consider restarting year 12. Also, I doubt you would be at a disadvantage for restarting a year - as many people will take gap years and uni's deal with those regularly - don't quote me on that though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending