The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
I am not sure if this question should be answered by a Economics Department Representative, however this Forum seems to be an adequate place for a specific enquiry like mine.
So, I have received and offer to study Economics, Politics and International Studies and am planning to accept it. It includes my getting a relatively high Maths grade on my exams (I'm an international applicant), which I am not very confident of, to be honest. While applying a few months ago, I didn't notice the fact that PPE doesn't include Maths specifically in their offers. So - is there a possibility of switching to this course so that my conditions were, let's say, easier to achieve (considering that the courses are more or less similar)?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 381
Original post by Economics_ Student
Hello there UoW eco rep!

I've recently been given a conditional offer for entry into one of the MSc programmes which I'll probably be accepting. I have a few simple questions with which you'll be able to help.

1) I was wondering how I'd be able to accept my offer. Do I just send an email to the postgraduate admissions team? I'm not aware of an 'applicant portal' type setup where I'd be able to do this (do correct me if I'm wrong).

2) Upon acceptance of the offer, does the department send a letter signifying this? The reason I ask is that I need proof of the offer for external grant/scholarship reasons. If not, the email might suffice (hopefully).

Well, I guess that that's it for now. Hope my questions weren't too silly! Thanks in advance for the answers :smile:

Hi,
PG isn't my area of expertise, but, as far as I understand it

1. You can accept the offer either by emailing the PG admissions team, or returning the decision card which was enclosed with your offer letter. Either way, I'm sure full information is given with your formal offer letter, and you should follow the instructions it sets out.

2. Once you have accepted the offer, it will remain "conditional" until the point at which you supply all the necessary documentation to turn it "unconditional", at which point this will be confirmed by PG admissions. However, I'm sure you can get a letter from the university stating that you have accepted a conditional offer (they may even send this as soon as you accept) simply by emailing PG admissions (you can contact them via this webpage - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/contacts/pgenquiry)
Reply 382
Original post by ladzinsky
I am not sure if this question should be answered by a Economics Department Representative, however this Forum seems to be an adequate place for a specific enquiry like mine.
So, I have received and offer to study Economics, Politics and International Studies and am planning to accept it. It includes my getting a relatively high Maths grade on my exams (I'm an international applicant), which I am not very confident of, to be honest. While applying a few months ago, I didn't notice the fact that PPE doesn't include Maths specifically in their offers. So - is there a possibility of switching to this course so that my conditions were, let's say, easier to achieve (considering that the courses are more or less similar)?

Hi,
the EPAIS and PPE courses, are, in fact, quite different, and are judged by different people according to different criteria, so it is not possible to transfer an offer from one course to the other.

Typically, however, the specific Maths requirement is lower for EPAIS than for straight Economics (which requires either a 6 at HL Maths (IB) or a grade A at A-Level), so if it seems like you have been mistakenly given the straight Economics requirement, instead of the EPAIS requirement, please let me know and I can look into it for you
Hello

I'm a prospective student currently studying in Year 12.

I emailed the general Warwick undergraduate admission team and someone told me that last years offers for economics were made only to those who achieved 7A*s at GCSE. I would just like to know if this is true and does this mean that an applicant who doesn't have 7A*s stands no chance of being made an offer? Or can a strong set of AS results/personal statement etc help negate relatively weak GCSEs?

I attained 4A*s and 6As at GCSE, with A*s in maths and English.

This is what was sent to me through email:

"This year offers have been based on 7 or more GCSE's at A*, but this can vary by year depending on the level of applications received."
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 384
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Hello

I'm a prospective student currently studying in Year 12.

I emailed the general Warwick undergraduate admission team and someone told me that last years offers for economics were made only to those who achieved 7A*s at GCSE. I would just like to know if this is true and does this mean that an applicant who doesn't have 7A*s stands no chance of being made an offer? Or can a strong set of AS results/personal statement etc help negate relatively weak GCSEs?

I attained 4A*s and 6As at GCSE, with A*s in maths and English.

This is what was sent to me through email:

"This year offers have been based on 7 or more GCSE's at A*, but this can vary by year depending on the level of applications received."

Hi,
the wording they have sent you does not really reflect the way the admissions for Economics have been handled this year.

I would guess what they mean is that the "average" or "typical" applicant has around 7 A*'s, but we have certainly made offers to people with less than that, and have made a deliberate attempt to try harder to identify people who we believe are very talented, but have GCSE scores which are below those of the "typical" applicant.

It is indeed true that we take into account a broad range of criteria when making application decisions, and, though GCSE scores form an important part of the process, they are not the over-riding factor.
Hi all,

I would just like to ask, is Micro at university similar to A Level Micro at all? At the moment, I really really can't stand Micro at school (I hate learning about monopolies, oligopolies etc), but I love Macro and maths.

I'm just wondering if I should give my options another think.

Thanks in advance for your help. :smile:
Original post by University of Warwick
Hi,
the wording they have sent you does not really reflect the way the admissions for Economics have been handled this year.

I would guess what they mean is that the "average" or "typical" applicant has around 7 A*'s, but we have certainly made offers to people with less than that, and have made a deliberate attempt to try harder to identify people who we believe are very talented, but have GCSE scores which are below those of the "typical" applicant.

It is indeed true that we take into account a broad range of criteria when making application decisions, and, though GCSE scores form an important part of the process, they are not the over-riding factor.

Thanks for the reply.

They made it seem as if though 7A*s was the cut off point as I asked whether this was likely to change for next years applicants and they said it was again likely to be 7 and not less than 6.

Good thing I made an account to check if this was true, I had completely ruled out applying to Warwick once I received the email.:redface:
Reply 387
Its very similar in terms of topics covered but there's much more of a mathematical emphasis.
Reply 388
Applied in November, and they still haven't given their verdict. Getting annoying now!
Hi there, quick question.

I've read on the FAQs that being an 1 year EU postgrad does not guarantee me accommodation (which is disappointing and stressful thanks to some people telling me that I could be living as far as 30 minutes away from campus). Any available figures on the number of postgrads not getting on-campus accommodation?
Reply 390
Original post by Economics_ Student
Hi there, quick question.

I've read on the FAQs that being an 1 year EU postgrad does not guarantee me accommodation (which is disappointing and stressful thanks to some people telling me that I could be living as far as 30 minutes away from campus). Any available figures on the number of postgrads not getting on-campus accommodation?

Hi,
I can't answer queries relating to accommodation unfortunately. If you contact Warwick Accommodation, however, at [email protected] , they should be able to answer your questions.
Reply 391
Some of them who hold offers at Warwick said that they received calls from the Warwick current students regarding possible guidance in the decision making process.

Do all the students receive it or does it happen to only a few of the selected ones?

Thank you
Reply 392
Hello,

I just wanted to confirm, is the EPAIS course run by the Economics department?

Thank you.
Reply 393
Original post by mpc1
Some of them who hold offers at Warwick said that they received calls from the Warwick current students regarding possible guidance in the decision making process.

Do all the students receive it or does it happen to only a few of the selected ones?

Thank you

Hi,
I'm looking in to this and will let you know answers I find shortly
Reply 394
Original post by KPCN
Hello,

I just wanted to confirm, is the EPAIS course run by the Economics department?

Thank you.

Hi,
yes, EPAIS (admissions and course administration) is run by the Economics department
Reply 395
Original post by mpc1

Thank you

Hi,
the calling is run by the International Office, and is aimed to give International students the chance to ask questions or find out information that a Home student would be able to do at an Offer Holder Open Day. They are calling undergraduate students this week and postgraduate students next week.

If you are an International Student, and would like to receive a call, please message me your details, and I can pass them on to the relevant people.
Reply 396
When is the offer holder open day? Is there a link which gives the open days dates for the offer holders?

Thank you
Reply 397
Original post by new123
When is the offer holder open day? Is there a link which gives the open days dates for the offer holders?

Thank you

Hi,
the last offer holder Open Day is on the 25th April, and, if you are an offer holder, you should have received / will shortly receive communication from the department which has a link to where you can sign up to attend the Open Day, and provides full details of the day itself.
Reply 398
A question about EXTRA

Upon clicking Course search in UCAS and selecting EXTRA- one sees the list of EXTRA choices. Does that mean this list is fixed or does it keep changing DYNAMICALLY as and when there are changes in the EXTRA availability?
Reply 399
Original post by mpc1
A question about EXTRA

Upon clicking Course search in UCAS and selecting EXTRA- one sees the list of EXTRA choices. Does that mean this list is fixed or does it keep changing DYNAMICALLY as and when there are changes in the EXTRA availability?

Hi,
unfortunately I don't know enough about the systems UCAS use to give you an answer. I would recommend contacting UCAS directly to ask about this.

Quick Reply

Latest