The Student Room Group

Full time work plus part time LPC - doable?

Hello!

I am considering taking up full time work coupled with the part time 18-month weekend LPC programme at the College of Law. Has anyone else done this and if so, is it do-able? Do you get enough time to do all the independant study and prep work (and how many hours do you spend studying a week?) Is it really intense? Would you recommend it?

All your views and comments will be much appreciated! In a bit of a dilemma as a really good opportunity to work full-time has come up but I don't want to ruin my chances (and money) of doing well on the LPC too.

Many thanks!
Reply 1
Hi,

I currently work full-time and study the LPC on a part-time, weekend, 2 year basis. Although some weeks are tough, I actually think this is a great way to learn. I currenlty work in the legal area so learning through the way I work and study has been brilliant for me. I also like the fact that the exams are more spread out and as such I have more time to concentrate on each one individually.

However, I do think it is a personal decision and will depend on the way you like to study and the work you will be doing full-time.

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by GemRan20
Hi,

I currently work full-time and study the LPC on a part-time, weekend, 2 year basis. Although some weeks are tough, I actually think this is a great way to learn. I currenlty work in the legal area so learning through the way I work and study has been brilliant for me. I also like the fact that the exams are more spread out and as such I have more time to concentrate on each one individually.

However, I do think it is a personal decision and will depend on the way you like to study and the work you will be doing full-time.

Hope that helps!

Hey GemRan20,

Thank you for sharing your experiences and insight with me - I recently changed actually from doing the 18 months LPC to the 2 year one to make things more manageable. I suppose doing the LPC part-time and full-time both have their advantages and disadavatges but its also important to think ahead past the LPC and how you would get your foot through the door in terms of kick-starting your legal career. Thus, I think it is highly commendable that you work full-time and study part time too, and something most firms will value. I think Im definately going to give it a go!

How many hours approximately do you put aside for studying? e.g. do you work mon-fri and then spend the weekend studying or do you put, for instance, 2 hours aside an evening to study? Just trying to get a realistic picture of how my life is going to be like for the next 2 years....

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 3
I'm doing my LLB part-time, and along with working full-time and it is quite tough going. I work mon-fri, 9-5, but it's really more like mon-fri, 8-6. I basically go straight to the library from work, stay there until bedtime, go home, go to bed and get up and go to work the next day.

I keep the weekend to myself.

I use most of my holidays for studying and writing assignments, and keep 2 weeks from myself.

At LPC time, if i have a traineeships, I'll be leaving my job to do the LPC full-time.
Reply 4
Glad you are giving it a try - I think if you can get some legal work whilst studyig it will give you an edge when looking for a training contract. But you are correct, it will really be an individual decision, for some people this just wont work.

I currently work on average an 8.5 hour day, on top of that I do 1 hour of study over my lunch break and then another 2 hours in the evening. Obviously that changes every now and then depending on workloads in the office but that is roughly how I do it and that usually gives me weekends free or to attend the workshops (I do the part-time weekend mode).

Having to attend college on a Saturday and Sunday every two to three weeks can be tough (a 12 day week feels like a killer!) but I really like that it forces me to do the work so I can be involved in the workshops.

Whereabouts are you studying? Do you have a full-time position organised?
Reply 5
Hello,

Thank you for your replies.

I haven't yet secured a full-time job but it may well be a possibility as a good opportunity has cropped up which I went for. Inevitably, the LPC is going to be hard anyway you do it - whether full time or part time. Part time for me would just give me extra flexibility and a chance to increase my employablity.

I will be studying at the College of Law Birmingham, whereabouts are you studying?

Thanks for both your inputs.

LawXD
Reply 6
I am studying at College of Law in Guildford and am just coming to the end of my first year. So far it has been a really good course the only thing to watch out for is that they advertise it as Sat and Sun every three weeks but this is not always the case, in the second term we have had a few weeks where we had to attend every other week. That does make the workload feel incredibly tough - but is worthwhile.

I hope everything goes well with the job opportunity. Getting some legal experience whilst studying part time will really be beneficial, I think 90% of those in my tutor group are working legal jobs whilst studying and it really shows how well you used the time.
Reply 7
I will by studying part time (18 months) on the LPC course at Birmingham College of Law as well. Just wondered if you have started the prep work?
Reply 8
Original post by Colin_S

At LPC time, if i have a traineeships, I'll be leaving my job to do the LPC full-time.

Just wondering out of interest why you'd be leaving work to do the LPC?. Have you considered doing the LPC FT but do your job part time on the side?
Reply 9
I know this post was a year ago, but I'm kind of in the same predicament, and was wondering how you've dealt with last year. Did you work full time, and was it the sensible choice for you?
Reply 10
Original post by Myles106
I know this post was a year ago, but I'm kind of in the same predicament, and was wondering how you've dealt with last year. Did you work full time, and was it the sensible choice for you?

I'm currently working a full time career and studying the LLB Full Time and its a challenge but easily done. I take about 6 hours off work spread throughout the week to attend tutorials (not lectures, complete waste of time tbh)

Still managing to achieve fairly good results so its not having an adverse effect. Social life doesn't even really take that much of a hit either as i keep weekends free for myself.

Around exam time though i cut out a fair amount of social time, but thats the same even if you are only a FT student!
Genuinely annoys me when some students who don't even have a PT job complain about uni taking up too much of their time!
Reply 11
Ruddiger I'm considering doing the same but is there not an attendance level that you have to achieve for the course? Is the college fine about you not attending the lectures?
Reply 12
I currently work 25 hours part time and I am thinking of reducing that to 10 hours (which may be difficult) and taking the lpc up full time. I have many different options as in full time/part time. I am a bit confused and want to know whether working part time 20/25 hours and doing the lpc is doable???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending