Original post by steviep14
My Predictions:
(Similar Difficulty to June 2011)

100 UMS - 36
A* - 33
A - 29
B - 23
C - 17

It wasn't an easy paper as such.. but it wasn't as hard as it could be so average boundaries I assume

i guess i agree, some people say june 2011 was slightly more difficult but some say it wasn't and this was easier, i guess we'll have to see. fingers crossed! :smile:
Reply 261
Original post by Chlomc
The mark scheme is only out of 36 ( theres about 9 marks missing due to noone remebereing the questions :L ) So you may well have more than 20 :smile:

I really hope so lol, I found the test paper really hard even though i got a B first time round :L
Reply 262
Original post by xoxlovelifexox
i guess i agree, some people say june 2011 was slightly more difficult but some say it wasn't and this was easier, i guess we'll have to see. fingers crossed! :smile:

Hence, the grade boundaries stay the SAME XD I really really really really really hope it goes down though
Original post by Sheel1
For that one i wrote the air pressure prevents the delocalise electrons moving around so they can't conduct electricity :L I think thats 0/3 though ;L

I guessed that one! I wrote something about when the metal is eroded the delocalised electrons and knocked off so there are less delocalised electrons to move about and carry current :| hahahha
Original post by MissGeek
Here are most of the questions from the unofficial markscheme I created to help you, I think this mark scheme may need a little bit of finishing off.

Why are chloride ions attracted to the positive electrode? (1)
Opposite charges attract/chloride ions have a negative charge
I can't remember, I think it was something on ions, or alkalis? (1)
Why is hydrogen formed? (1)
Hydrogen is less reactive than sodium
Draw the diagram (Hydrogen and Chlorine) (I THINK) (1)
Both must have a full outer shell.
What type of bonding is it? (1)
Covalent

What type of ions make the solution pH 1? (1)
Hydrogen

What type of ions make the solution alkali? (1)
Hydroxide

Calculate the number of ? in 1 mol^3 of ? (gas canister question) (1)
I did 53.? - 51.? (I don't know if this is right though)

Calculate the mean mass of gas results. (2)
Miss out anomaly to get answer, however, if you showed your workings, you could still get 1 mark.

Suggest 2 causes of this experimental error (2)
I put weighing error in measuring gas canister, human error, recording error, may have been a systematic error (unsure, please correct me if I'm wrong)
do you think like.. faulty equipment could be one mark?

Why should they repeat the test more (1)
Make it more reliable
Allows them to spot any anomalies
Allows them to calculate a mean/average

What type of acid makes the magnesium hyrdoxide react to form calcium chloride? (1)
Hydrochloric acid

Explain how the magnesium hydroxide (I think) can be separated from the calcium chloride. (1)
I can't remember what I put.

Suggest how the calcium chloride can be made into a solid? (1)
Evaporation

What is oxidation? (1)
Electrons are lost.

Explain why the best yield is produced when the pressure is higher (1)
There are more (gaseous) reactant molecules than (gaseous) product molecules.

Explain why, in terms of particles, the rate of reaction increases when temperature increases. (2)
The particles gain energy, they move faster and collide more frequently.

Explain why the pressure is not higher than 200 atmospheres in the Haber process (1)
It would be more expensive.

Explain why a temperature of 450 is suitable (can't remember exactly how it was worded) (1)
The forward reaction is exothermic

Explain why it doesn't matter if a low yield of ammonia is produced in the Haber process (2)
The unreacted hydrogen and nitrogen are reacycled and can be used and reacted again to form ammonia again.
The reaction is reversible.
I had put how it is a continuous process, like it carries on, do you think I would get marks for that?

Calculate the mass of ammonia that can be made from 2g of nitrogen (3)
2.4g (1 d.p.)

In Haber Process, a maximum of 80kg can be produced. 12 kg is produced. Calculate the percentage yield. (2)
15%

Diamond is hard. Explain why it is hard, refer to structure and properties in your answer (3)
Each carbon atom is covalently bonded to 4 other carbon atoms. The bonds are strong and a lot of energy is required to break the bonds. There are no delocalised electrons in diamond due to each carbon atom being covalently bonded to 4 other carbon atoms.

Calculate the relative formula mass of C3H8. C=12, H=8 (2)
44g

Explain the structure of gold. (3)
There is metallic bonding in gold. There are fixed positive ions and delocalised electrons which are free to move around. There are electrostatic forces of attraction between the electrons and positive ions.

Explain why gold is a good conductor of electricity (1)
It has delocalised electrons

what did you put for that iron one?
and the 'Precipitate'?
Reply 265
Original post by tssf_skye
I guessed that one! I wrote something about when the metal is eroded the delocalised electrons and knocked off so there are less delocalised electrons to move about and carry current :| hahahha

To be honest i been looking through my revision book and i can't find nothing about this question :'(
Original post by Sheel1
I really hope so lol, I found the test paper really hard even though i got a B first time round :L

It is definitely one of the harder C2 Papers I have seen.. A* 31-38 usually.. so I would go for about 33 for an A* because I wouldn't say it was the hardest but it was a hard paper..
Reply 267
It is definitely one of the harder C2 Papers I have seen.. A* 31-38 usually.. so I would go for about 33 for an A* because I wouldn't say it was the hardest but it was a hard paper..

Totally agree, but compared to last years paper i would say this one is a bit more harder since it bases you on writing down chemical equations that works! For instance question 2 A , i was like Wtf lol
Original post by Sheel1
Hence, the grade boundaries stay the SAME XD I really really really really really hope it goes down though

same, it's really hard to predict how you've done, even with the unofficial markscheme because i'm forgetting some of my answers and stuff, so it makes me feel apprehensive! but then i decided, i won't fret about it for now, i've done what i could do and i thought it was okay so hopefully that'll count for something and we'll perform how we want :smile:
Original post by Sheel1
To be honest i been looking through my revision book and i can't find nothing about this question :'(

I think it was one of those ones to see how we can apply our knowledge tbh, oh well at least it was 2 marks not like 4/5! Because i want an A* and if it was 4/5 life = over
Reply 270
Added questions at the end

Why are chloride ions attracted to the positive electrode? (1)
Opposite charges attract/chloride ions have a negative charge

I can't remember, I think it was something on ions, or alkalis? (1)

Why is hydrogen formed? (1)
Hydrogen is less reactive than sodium

Draw the diagram (Hydrogen and Chlorine) (I THINK) (1)
Both must have a full outer shell.

What type of bonding is it? (1)
Covalent

What type of ions make the solution pH 1? (1)
Hydrogen

What type of ions make the solution alkali? (1)
Hydroxide

Calculate the number of ? in 1 mol^3 of ? (gas canister question) (1)
I did 53.? - 51.? (I don't know if this is right though)

Calculate the mean mass of gas results. (2)
Miss out anomaly to get answer, however, if you showed your workings, you could still get 1 mark.

Suggest 2 causes of this experimental error (2)
I put weighing error in measuring gas canister, human error, recording error, may have been a systematic error (unsure, please correct me if I'm wrong)

Why should they repeat the test more (1)
Make it more reliable
Allows them to spot any anomalies
Allows them to calculate a mean/average

What type of acid makes the magnesium hyrdoxide react to form calcium chloride? (1)
Hydrochloric acid

what is a precipiate reaction? (1)
A solid is formed

Explain how the magnesium hydroxide (I think) can be separated from the calcium chloride. (1)
I can't remember what I put.

Suggest how the calcium chloride can be made into a solid? (1)
Evaporation

Complete this equation Ca = Ca2+ + ? (1)
Ca = Ca2++ 2e-

Why is this decsibed as oxidation? (1)
Electrons are lost.

Explain why the best yield is produced when the pressure is higher (1)
There are more (gaseous) reactant molecules than (gaseous) product molecules.

Explain why, in terms of particles, the rate of reaction increases when temperature increases. (2)
The particles gain energy, they move faster and collide more frequently.

Explain why the pressure is not higher than 200 atmospheres in the Haber process (1)
It would be more expensive.

Explain why a temperature of 450 is suitable (can't remember exactly how it was worded) (1)
The forward reaction is exothermic

Explain why it doesn't matter if a low yield of ammonia is produced in the Haber process (2)
The unreacted hydrogen and nitrogen are reacycled and can be used and reacted again to form ammonia again.
The reaction is reversible.

Calculate the mass of ammonia that can be made from 2g of nitrogen (3)
2.4g (1 d.p.)

In Haber Process, a maximum of 80kg can be produced. 12 kg is produced. Calculate the percentage yield. (2)
15%

Diamond is hard. Explain why it is hard, refer to structure and properties in your answer (3)
Each carbon atom is covalently bonded to 4 other carbon atoms. The bonds are strong and a lot of energy is required to break the bonds. There are no delocalised electrons in diamond due to each carbon atom being covalently bonded to 4 other carbon atoms.

Calculate the relative formula mass of C3H8. C=12, H=8 (2)
44g

Explain the structure of gold. (3)
There is metallic bonding in gold. There are fixed positive ions and delocalised electrons which are free to move around. There are electrostatic forces of attraction between the electrons and positive ions.

Explain why gold is a good conductor of electricity (2)
It has delocalised electrons, metalic bonding, electons have pathways througout metal structure

iron corrodes when conatcts the air which reduces its conducting ability why is this? (2)
Less declocalised elctrons as ones at the suface ahve made new bonds

Why is stage 4 important? (2)
To purify the (substance ) for food manufactoring so its safe ?

what happens at stage 3? (1)
no idea here

EDIT: this is actually out of all the 45 marks :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 271
For the question on 'Why is the yield of ammonia increased when pressure is increased?' I put, 'because the amount of products is less than the amount of reactants' would that get he the mark?
Reply 272
Original post by iBillyB
For the question on 'Why is the yield of ammonia increased when pressure is increased?' I put, 'because the amount of products is less than the amount of reactants' would that get he the mark?

I should think so, I put there were 4 moles of reactants and 2 moles of product.
Reply 273
I wrote in bullet points in some of my answers, will i still gain marks even though it says write in full english on the front of the paper?! or will i lose mark? The bullet points were more like key phrases, like the mark scheme btw

(I only realised that it said write in full sentences and coherent englsih) :redface:

I think i've got 25-28 marks.. what grade is that? :s-smilie:
guys please make a foundation one?:frown:
Reply 276
My Predictions:
(Similar Difficulty to June 2011)

100 UMS - 36
A* - 33
A - 29
B - 23
C - 17

It wasn't an easy paper as such.. but it wasn't as hard as it could be so average boundaries I assume

Think they could be a little higher than that because apparatnly AQA are putting all their grade boundaries up, so more like 37/38 for A* but I dunno.
Reply 277
Ohh thats good, from mark scheme, 40/45 wooohooo, now waiting for the Unit 3 markscheme :/
Reply 278
I think we should all look at the mark scheme here and post on a poll what we got so then we'll get a better idea of what the grad boundaries might look like
i think i got 42, but it was a retake and i have done a year of As chemistry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending