The Student Room Group

Who is your favourite Poet?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Auden, I think. But there are so many I love! Yeats, Poe, Hardy and Tennyson are some of my favourites too :smile:
T.S. Eliot and Charles Baudelaire.
Reply 82
Original post by extricated
ummm

stop stalking me!
I really love William Carlos Williams. At the moment he's my favourite poet. :smile:
I really like W.H Auden.

And Rupert Brooke.
Auden isn't terrible, I suppose, so him. I have to study Dante next year at uni, but hopefully I'll be able to find it on Sparknotes or something like that.
Toss up between Philip Larkin, WH Auden and John Betjeman. I think Larkin just about edges out because reading his poetry aloud is joy.
I uploaded these for something else but they can work here:

My poetry shelves: (Click for full-size)

Dylan Thomas.
Reply 89
Heaney :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iP
Plath.
e.e. cummings, with T.S. Eliot, W.H. Auden and Sylvia Plath battling it out for second
Reply 92
Original post by Id and Ego seek
Plath.

Really? Every time I think of her I see myself sitting in my old English Lit class reading To Eva Descinding the Stair absolutely bored out of my tree.

For me its a toss-up between Yeats, Hughes, Kavanagh, and Larkin.
Original post by Gandalf_is_a_girl
Well, I translate them myself in my spare time with the help of a friend and I can't say I feel anything but underwhelmed. Some Arabic poems are delightful though. People only likes his poetry because.....well, he's a Sheikh.

Thomas Hardy is a bit hit and miss for me as well. At times he can be so incredibly seasoned and dexterous in his penmanship but then he goes ruins it all for himself with Tess d'Urbervilles.

It is generally considered a great shame that Hardy's prose career was foreshortened, given that he was a better novelist than he was a poet.
Reply 94
Marshall Mather.
Reply 96
Larkin.

(Milton comes in at a close second, but that rests almost solely on Paradise Lost.)
Reply 97
Definitely Dylan Thomas.
Reply 98
La Belle Dame Sans Merci and The Raven are my favourite poems, so John Keats and Edgar Allen Poe are right up there
Reply 99
Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath Plath.

And Kavanagh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending