The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3160
Original post by d_jukes
I'm looking at doing a cryptography/encryption based EPQ. I want to study CompSci at degree level. Anyone got any good ideas of titles/projects?

It is rare that people ever reply to suggestions, but perhaps with encryption you could look at computer protection? i.e antivirus

Or you could look at cloud computing? that seems to be 'up and coming' and relevant to computer science? Just have a look at a few technology magazines for some ideas?
Original post by blacktreacle
Minimum that is. I don't think they really count (afterall you just hand in the paperwork), but in my opinion just don't be too obvious. I think mine had about 4900 :wink:

Ahh okay, thank you :smile: Cheeky :P

I hope you won't mind but I have another question - how did you set out referencing in your written report?
Original post by Buongiorno
Ahh okay, thank you :smile: Cheeky :P

I hope you won't mind but I have another question - how did you set out referencing in your written report?

Erm...do you mean writing the bibliography? I just jot down any books/materials as I go along and I usually type useful quotes up to the computer with corresponding pages, sources, etc. so that I can add footnotes for direct figures and quotes. And then in the end as I've finished the whole thing I read it all over to check if I've used any viewpoints/direct quotes and add them back in. After that I just add all the sources (whether used or not, just anything you've read during the research) used in my bibliography :smile:

Please feel free to ask me anything :smile: I completed my EPQ in the June 2012 exam and I got an A* (50/50) for it :biggrin:
Hey, can anyone help me?
How exactly can I get marks for my 'research'? So far I've just collected a huge amount of information and sources from books and websites, and I've interviewed a university professor but is that enough? What else can I do?
Minimum that is. I don't think they really count (afterall you just hand in the paperwork), but in my opinion just don't be too obvious. I think mine had about 4900 :wink:

Congrats on your amazing grade! Quick question: you said you only handed in your paperwork? So you didn't give them your essay or any documents then?! :tongue:
Original post by Americaniamh
Congrats on your amazing grade! Quick question: you said you only handed in your paperwork? So you didn't give them your essay or any documents then?! :tongue:

Thanks, no I meant paperwork as in I printed my essay in papers and just gave them the papers so unless the examiner counts with hand, he/she wouldn't be able to know the exact word count.

Oh and I did a powerpoint and included a small video clip (which I filmed it by myself) in my presentation.
Original post by garyheehee
Hey, can anyone help me?
How exactly can I get marks for my 'research'? So far I've just collected a huge amount of information and sources from books and websites, and I've interviewed a university professor but is that enough? What else can I do?

Depends on your topic. For websites make sure you use credible sources, not Wikipedia.

Other than books and websites, you can research your project using documentaries (which I used A LOT), magazines, news articles, any other forms etc. I think the examiner loves a wide range of sources, not just a couple of books because otherwise the viewpoints you get will be limited.

Think about primary and secondary. Most will be only using secondary as they are more accessible and reliable, but using (and collecting) primary sources will leave a good impression. For example, I did a little survey around my topic with around 20 people at my school. I didn't put it in my actual essay (because it's not professional enough..you know) but I put it in my presentation so that I can further evaluate and analyse the issue I'm exploring.

To get marks in the 'research' part it's easy. Make your bibliography long and impressive (not messy and not all over the place) and make sure everything that's not from yourself is clearly referenced.
Original post by nugstick
One of my friends was suggested to do so by his adviser. Just ask your teacher or whoever is in charge

Will do, thanks. Only problem is getting it up to 5,000 words, then. :L
Reply 3168
How is the EPQ graded/marked?
Thanks, no I meant paperwork as in I printed my essay in papers and just gave them the papers so unless the examiner counts with hand, he/she wouldn't be able to know the exact word count.

Oh and I did a powerpoint and included a small video clip (which I filmed it by myself) in my presentation.

Oh wow awesome! ^_^ If you don't mind me asking, what did you do your EPQ on? And how did you lay out your PPT?

(Sorry for all the questions, aha, just very impressed :tongue: and I'm trying to finish mine up at the moment!)
Erm...do you mean writing the bibliography? I just jot down any books/materials as I go along and I usually type useful quotes up to the computer with corresponding pages, sources, etc. so that I can add footnotes for direct figures and quotes. And then in the end as I've finished the whole thing I read it all over to check if I've used any viewpoints/direct quotes and add them back in. After that I just add all the sources (whether used or not, just anything you've read during the research) used in my bibliography :smile:

Please feel free to ask me anything :smile: I completed my EPQ in the June 2012 exam and I got an A* (50/50) for it :biggrin:

wow well done you! How did you do your planning and stuff? :smile: And what sort of thing did you do for your production log? :smile:
Original post by Americaniamh
Oh wow awesome! ^_^ If you don't mind me asking, what did you do your EPQ on? And how did you lay out your PPT?

(Sorry for all the questions, aha, just very impressed :tongue: and I'm trying to finish mine up at the moment!)

My EPQ is to look at the issue of overfishing and see whether it is still possible to sustain world fish population :smile:

In my PPT I basically say things like:
-how I came up with the topic and reasons for choosing it(e.g. why overfishing? why fish but not other animal species), so basically background info
-outline how I planned my essay (e.g. divide the issue into different aspects - commercial, cultural and ecological) and types of sources used (e.g. books, documentaries, magazines, etc)
-challenges I encountered and how I overcame it (it doesn't really matter if you couldn't overcome it..but make sure you say how you've learnt from the challenge)
-how I would do it if I was to do it again, e.g. I said I will instead focus more on aquaculture rather than just the fisheries industry because halfway through my research I realised that half of world's fish production actually comes from aquaculture
-and then I also included a little piece of extra survey I did on my own, which successfully entertained my audience :P

Hope it helps! A few months ago I was also in your situation and no one really could offer genuine help so I was quite desperate! But as long as you don't give up, you will finish it and the satisfaction it gives you is just beyond amazing :biggrin:
Original post by TaraBelle
wow well done you! How did you do your planning and stuff? :smile: And what sort of thing did you do for your production log? :smile:

To be VERY HONEST with you, I had no planning and I did my whole project in less than a fortnight loooooooooool. I actually started my EPQ 12 days before the hand-in deadline (but you know, I worked on it INTENSIVELY because I really wanted to do it, it's just that I didn't have time before). So I basically lied in my production log (made up the dates like I've done it over a year's time hahahaha). Just make sure you write down challenges you've met and the meetings with your supervisor like you two are working on a huge project and overcoming problems and such hahaha
Guys, just make sure you let your examiner know you didn't do your EPQ just for the sake of it, but instead you're really enthusiastic about the topic and have thoroughly thought over how to research the topic. Reading a couple of books (no matter how professional those books sound) and writing up 5000 words won't get you high marks. Make sure you tell them the challenges you've met and something you thought you've done wrong (either you've redone it not) and how you learnt from them.

The EPQ is all about process and progress, not immediate perfection :wink:!
To be VERY HONEST with you, I had no planning and I did my whole project in less than a fortnight loooooooooool. I actually started my EPQ 12 days before the hand-in deadline (but you know, I worked on it INTENSIVELY because I really wanted to do it, it's just that I didn't have time before). So I basically lied in my production log (made up the dates like I've done it over a year's time hahahaha). Just make sure you write down challenges you've met and the meetings with your supervisor like you two are working on a huge project and overcoming problems and such hahaha

hahaah that's naughty! :wink: but makes it even more impressive that you got full marks! Ah coool, so it doesn't matter that I won't finish my research by the time school starts like I was supposed to- I can use that to my advantage and use it as problem solving or whatever?
Reply 3175
is 3500 words too little for an EPQ??
Reply 3176
So did 4500 words, lost it after hard drive failed to transfer it to my new computer.
Felt depressed for two days then did 4600 words in about 3 hours.
I feel super happy!
How do the examiners check that you haven't just copied half of the project from a website? Or don't they?
Original post by m rowe29
How do the examiners check that you haven't just copied half of the project from a website? Or don't they?

They do. They have plagiarism detectors. I think they type it on some sort of database and then see how similar it is to what is written on the website/book/essay etc. I'm pretty sure there are other methods though. Please don't plagiarise.
Hello,

Before you recoil at the fact I haven't started proper research for my EPQ (I tend to leave things until the 11th hour :frown:)

I AM STUCK. My college hasn't provided me with much information on how to do this project, other than tell us about the '5 Ws' and other stupidly basic things we knew already about how to read things.

I want to discuss the topic 'Is a human settlement in space or on an extra-terrestrial body feasible?'

I have a few sheets of paper of information on celestial bodies I was given at a Space settlement competition some years back, but other than that I don't know where to start.
The marking criteria wasn't explained very well, other than the wishy-washy jargon that tends to exist on examiner mark schemes, so I don't particularly know what to do.. at all.

Also, we were handed an edexcel text book which I've found no real aid, other than spending time evaluating other case studies within it, and I need to get started on my own!

I'm freaking out as the research needs to be done by September 10th!! :mad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending