The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thenickoftime
The room bond is the most important thing you have to pay before arriving! Imagine you're about to rent a house somewhere and you haven't paid the deposit, it's very similar. It cements your place in halls and acts as your damage deposit that you get back at the end of the year.

Oh I know that! I paid mine over a month ago; there's no way I personally would turn up without having paid it. He just asked what would happen if you didn't pay it.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by Village Whisper
Oh I know that! I paid mine over a month ago; there's no way I personally would turn up without having paid it. He just asked what would happen if you didn't pay it.

They wouldn't give you your key. They might not even have a room for you, since not paying the room bond on time supposedly forfeits your offer of accommodation.

A couple of years ago I turned up having paid the room bond but without having done the halls induction thing online (it was my second year, I kind of assumed you only had to do it once but it's every year you're in halls). They wouldn't give me my key until I'd completed it.
Reply 1462
I'm assuming we're just directed to our halls upon arrival, and then given our keys once we get there?
Original post by Pn94
I'm assuming we're just directed to our halls upon arrival, and then given our keys once we get there?

Yep, pretty much :yes:
Reply 1464
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Yep, pretty much :yes:

Are we meant to receive anything once we've paid the room bond/registered? Haven't been sent anything by my hall.
Original post by Pn94
Are we meant to receive anything once we've paid the room bond/registered? Haven't been sent anything by my hall.

I don't know if you'll get anything from your hall but I imagine there will be arrival instructions from the accommodation centre at some point before long.
Yay, more Harry French people :tongue: Do you have the standard or 4ft bed room?

This is a little late but ooh are you going to be in Harry French too? ^.^ And I've got a standard room
Original post by rockchickm
This is a little late but ooh are you going to be in Harry French too? ^.^ And I've got a standard room

Haha yes I am :smile: I have a standard room too, so we might be living together! Probably not, but still. Have you booked your arrival time yet?
Reply 1468
What comes in the rooms as standard for the newer more modern halls, e.g lamps, chairs etc.? thanks :smile:
Original post by SM94
What comes in the rooms as standard for the newer more modern halls, e.g lamps, chairs etc.? thanks :smile:

See the first post in this thread :smile:
Haha yes I am :smile: I have a standard room too, so we might be living together! Probably not, but still. Have you booked your arrival time yet?

Haha maybe :P I booked 9-10am which looking back is kind of early but I just wanted to get it over and done with, what about you?
Haha maybe :P I booked 9-10am which looking back is kind of early but I just wanted to get it over and done with, what about you?

I think you can still change it if you want, but I guess it depends on where you're coming from and stuff. I've gone for 11-12. I don't want to be the first there because I'd be really nervous by the time the next person arrived, but I don't want to be the last one either...So I went for somewhere in the middle :tongue: It'd be good to have a couple of other people there first, I think. Then again, I might still be the first...Oh well!

Are you getting a Platinum/Extra card by the way? I still can't decide.
The accommodation services are so slow.
Reply 1473
Original post by Potally_Tissed
See the first post in this thread :smile:

Can't believe I missed that haha, thanks!
Can you cancel an accommodation contract online?
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Can you cancel an accommodation contract online?

Can't remember offhand if there's an option and the accommodation login page doesn't want to load for me at the moment :dontknow:

You'll be in lodges then! They are the best place to be of all the halls. You'll have a washing machine in your kitchen, a bath in one of your 2 bathrooms and a really really nice courtyard surrounded by trees and Victorian Villas.

Also, if you're in Cedar, it'll be even better. I was in room 8 last year.
Reply 1477
What are the room bonds and freshers fee for? Is it compulsory and can you pay it when you get there or does it have to be prior?
Reply 1478
Original post by cazah
What are the room bonds and freshers fee for? Is it compulsory and can you pay it when you get there or does it have to be prior?

Room Bond: Compulsory, basically a deposit for your room. Needs to be paid ASAP once your place is confirmed. I think you get this back at the end of the year, as long as it isn't needed to cover any damages.

Hall Subs: Pays for Hall activities throughout the year, such as IMS practice. Afaik, this is also compulsory.

Fresher's Fee: Optional, but required to take part in your hall's fresher's week activities, so I think it's advised to get it.

Seems to work out quite expensive overall, but I guess it's kinda necessary... I've already paid my RB, and my HS&FF come to £120.. Freshers is already expensive and I've not even got there yet.. =/
Original post by Xenite

Fresher's Fee: Optional, but required to take part in your hall's fresher's week activities, so I think it's advised to get it.

Is the fresher's fee not just added on to our first term's rent bill? I thought it was paying to extend our accommodation for those extra few days before term starts, to take into account freshers fortnight.

Latest

Trending

Trending