The Student Room Group

Who is the best ALL ROUND footballer at the moment?

As in the player who could easily slot into the most positions on the pitch and still give a very decent showing.

For instance, at his peak Gerrard could easily play right wing, attacking mid, striker, CM, RB and likely CB. And it is very likely he still would have been one of the best players on the pitch in each of those positions.

(we can discount the GK role if people wish).

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Off the top of my head, I'd say Yaya Toure.
Reply 2
Xabi alonso
Good at tackling
insane passing
Great in the air
Powerful shot
Just his pace lets him down but still can't think of a more complete ATM
Rooney on form is a lethal striker, great play-maker, great in the air, fantastic at getting back and carrying out defensive duties too.

However, he is far from being the best all round. I would definitely class either Toure as a potential for that title.
Reply 4
Schewieinsteger
Yaya Toure. Can play at CB, DM, CM and AM. Wouldn't bet against him being good on the wing or upfront too.
Emmanuel Eboue.. can play RB CB LB LM RM CM CDM CAM mayb not upfront as a stiker...

Well on fifa 07 atleast
Reply 7
Hard to disagree with Yaya, tbh.

Javi Martinez could surpass him, if Bayern do things right.
Difficult question, but I'd probably say that Wayne Rooney is a good shout. His main weakness is his lack of consistency at times, but he's able to play on the wing, central midfield, behind the striker or up front on his own and is great at all of them. Good in the air, great long range shooting, amazing passing at times, loads of work rate. As far as attacking players go, he's one of the most versatile around.

Pablo Zabaleta came to mind too. I'm pretty sure he's played everywhere but up front for City over the last couple of years and he's generally a really solid hand.

Agreed with Yaya too.
Essien in his prime could play ANYWHERE.
I'd gladly play Lionel Messi at the back. :closedeyes:

(But yeah, Yaya Toure's the man.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Yaya Toure.

Pique when he goes up front :ninja:
Reply 12
I'd say Gerrard is still up there at the moment. I would actually prefer him playing on the right wing out of all positions.

Not that I've seen him play in many positions but I would bet on Thomas Vermaelen to play well in most areas of the pitch.
Plus Branislav Ivanovic for similar reasons
Peter Whittingham.
Fellaini came to mind, can play anywhere down the spine of a team.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 15
Xabi Alonso. The guy is just very good at football.
Reply 16
Not the best but Valencia can play anywhere down the right.

I'd say Xabi Alonso though.
Definitely Yaya Toure. I absolutely love the way he strides down the middle of the park with the ball.

Gerrard certainly used to be up there too.

Might be saying Diaby too if he stays fit and plays like he did against Liverpool week in week out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by fabregassed
Definitely Yaya Toure. I absolutely love the way he strides down the middle of the park with the ball.

Gerrard certainly used to be up there too.

Might be saying Diaby too if he stays fit and plays like he did against Liverpool week in week out.

I couldn't really imagine Diaby excelling anywhere but the centre of midfield :beard: He would never do much up-front or as a defender.
Reply 19
Yaya is probably no.1, he's got everything really.

Vidal/Schweinsteiger are up there for me as well.

Quick Reply

Latest