The Student Room Group

Confusion with facebook chat

When you see your friends' name in facebook's chat list with no green dot beside what does it mean they're not on chat?

Does it mean chat is turned off while they are actually online or does it mean their accounts are inactive while chat is on?

Just now one of my friends wrote a status on his/her account and when I open up the chat list his/her name wasn't listed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
You can choose to turn chat off even if you're on facebook, it sounds like that's what they've done. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by lalalalalalamember
When you see your friends' name in facebook's chat list with no green dot beside what does it mean they're not on chat?

Does it mean chat is turned off while they are actually online or does it mean their accounts are inactive while chat is on?

Just now one of my friends wrote a status on his/her account and when I open up the chat list his/her name wasn't listed.

Yeah as the other person stated you can turn it off so that your unavailable for chat and appear as offline.
You can also put restrictions on who can see you on-line, or who you don't want to see you on-line.
Original post by Iqbal007
Yeah as the other person stated you can turn it off so that your unavailable for chat and appear as offline.
You can also put restrictions on who can see you on-line, or who you don't want to see you on-line.

If you choose a person who you don't want to see you on chat will your name not appear on their list at all or will your name still be listed but just without the green dot?
Reply 4
The green dot beside the name is just to indicate whether the person is available for chat or not.

On the case of whether it shows up on the list of chat, it's up to chance. If you select "appear offline" or you actually log out, then your name will NOT have a green dot beside it, or it may not show up on the list at all. It's up to chance whether your name appears on your friends chat list or not (usually if you chat to that person a lot then your name will be on the list, but without a green dot if you're offline or clicked 'appear offline' to that person).
Reply 5
If you choose a person who you don't want to see you on chat will your name not appear on their list at all or will your name still be listed but just without the green dot?

It may appear on the list depending on some other factors without the green dot or not at all on the list.
Reply 6
The friends you interact with most on Facebook are in the top section of the list. If they have a green dot next to their name it means they're available to chat. Everyone else who's online come in the next section under "More Friends".
Original post by cdvdtz
The friends you interact with most on Facebook are in the top section of the list. If they have a green dot next to their name it means they're available to chat. Everyone else who's online come in the next section under "More Friends".

This is a bit odd because that's not how it works for me. The people who are on my friends list that are online and on chat (via computer or mobile phone) are usually listed alphabetically and some of the people who I don't really interact with are listed in my chat list. But the last two lines you mentioned does apply to me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Lol reminds me of this.
Reply 9
This is a bit odd because that's not how it works for me. The people who are on my friends list that are online and on chat (via computer or mobile phone) are usually listed alphabetically and some of the people who I don't really interact with are listed in my chat list. But the last two lines you mentioned does apply to me.

Well it's how it works on mine. I have a list of friends who I'd say I speak to most on Facebook chat, some of them have a green dot and are online, some don't and are offline. Then underneath it says 'More friends' where it lists alphabetically everyone else who's online.
Reply 10
my friend said she can see my name showing in chat box without green dot 24/7 everyday although i never went on line chat and did not log in to Facebook for many days. Why?? They think I am secretly using fb without talking to them.This is so annoying. Does it mean someone is using my account? Please help.

They might be on a desktop

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

They are browsing on facebook but not active in massenger
Reply 13
Uncertainty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending