The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by goodmorningworld
Hi,
Just wondering how many sources you guys are using in your EPQ? I've used about ten and I've barely started :biggrin:
(so far just newspaper articles mainly though!)

I would also like to know roughly how many sources you need! I'm over halfway through and I've only got roughly 20-25 different sources...will I have enough?
Reply 3261
Anybody could give some basic topic ideas on an epq on economics based?
Original post by Paramore<3
Trying to narrow down my question - I am interested in East Asia (Japan, Korea, China) and possibly incorporating geography, as these are what I would be interested in studying at university.

I'm trying to think of a title now, at the moment I have something like: "Is the expansion of Korean pop culture a credible example of East Asian expansion, or just another case of Westernisation?"
Is this too narrow/broad? Does it sound convincing, haha...

For geography, I was thinking of doing something on ENSO (El Nino) - can't think of a succint yet researchable question though!?

Any other ideas gratefully received!

Gangnam Style! :party2::nutcase:
Had to mention that... :redface:

It's a very focused question (:thumbsup:), I don't know much about it so I won't be able to tell you anything. I just thought I might as well say something seeing as I made that joke about Gangnam Style.
Reply 3263
Original post by Nathan0012
Gangnam Style! :party2::nutcase:
Had to mention that... :redface:

It's a very focused question (:thumbsup:), I don't know much about it so I won't be able to tell you anything. I just thought I might as well say something seeing as I made that joke about Gangnam Style.

Haha, thank you. :smile: Of course, I would have to include Gangnam Style in it! *horse-riding smilie goes here*
I am sure that this question has been asked already a million times but I'm currently finishing my EPQ essay (literally the night before its due :s-smilie:), and it seems likely that the word count will reach around 7,000 words, could I be penalised for this? My teacher said the 5000 words is technically only a guideline and that anything under 10,000 words is fine lol :P But I guess they night just think I haven't been concise enough :frown:

Has anyone known someone whose report was significantly over 5000 words but got a good grade? I'm not aiming for an A* or anything but I'm just paranoid I'll get capped at a C or something!
Original post by Morgasm19
I am sure that this question has been asked already a million times but I'm currently finishing my EPQ essay (literally the night before its due :s-smilie:), and it seems likely that the word count will reach around 7,000 words, could I be penalised for this? My teacher said the 5000 words is technically only a guideline and that anything under 10,000 words is fine lol :P But I guess they night just think I haven't been concise enough :frown:

Has anyone known someone whose report was significantly over 5000 words but got a good grade? I'm not aiming for an A* or anything but I'm just paranoid I'll get capped at a C or something!

Mine was 7000 and it wasn't penalised. I think you'll be alright. The main reason for there being a 5000 word limit is because a very long essay is either indicative of an extremely detailed essay or, in most cases, a rambling one. I'm not saying that is you but it is quite often the case with people who write way over the word limit so read through your essay and double check that you haven't written anything twice or strayed off the subject. The best way to check is to ensure that every single sentence is relevant to the question you're asking in your essay title.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Rascacielos
Mine was 7000 and it wasn't penalised. I think you'll be alright. The main reason for there being a 5000 word limit is because a very long essay is either indicative of an extremely detailed essay or, in most cases, a rambling one. I'm not saying that is you but it is quite often the case with people who write way over the word limit so read through your essay and double check that you haven't written anything twice or strayed off the subject. The best way to check is to ensure that every single sentence is relevant to the question you're asking in your essay title.

Oh okay, phew :smile: Thanks for your reply you had no idea I was freaking out so much! Don't worry I'm not offended as I'm sure mine is quite rambly :P But as long as 5,000 isn't a maximum then I'm fine! Will I get penalised if it's too long winded then?
Oh okay, phew :smile: Thanks for your reply you had no idea I was freaking out so much! Don't worry I'm not offended as I'm sure mine is quite rambly :P But as long as 5,000 isn't a maximum then I'm fine! Will I get penalised if it's too long winded then?

I expect so. It's down to the discretion of the person marking it but if they feel you could have written in 5000 words what you wrote in 7000, they're not going to be too impressed. And that's not a good habit to get into anyway - at university, for example, word limits are very strict. If you use up your 2000 words writing something that could be shortened to 500, you are going to lose a lot of marks. It's best to get used to being succinct - that way you get more said, more effectively.
I expect so. It's down to the discretion of the person marking it but if they feel you could have written in 5000 words what you wrote in 7000, they're not going to be too impressed. And that's not a good habit to get into anyway - at university, for example, word limits are very strict. If you use up your 2000 words writing something that could be shortened to 500, you are going to lose a lot of marks. It's best to get used to being succinct - that way you get more said, more effectively.

Okay. Well thanks for your honesty and advice. The thing is I think I could have written what I did in maybe a few hundred less words but not in 5000 words. To be honest I mainly just did it for the experience of doing independent research and to explore a topic I'm interested in, universities won't even see my grade when I apply as I have already sent my UCAS form off and won't receive my EPQ grade till later this year-I just handed it phew it's such a relief to have it all behind me :smile:

What topic was your EPQ on? :smile:
Reply 3269
Anyone have any ideas for a dental based EPQ. I feel like im thinking of the usual stuff and im not being unique
Okay. Well thanks for your honesty and advice. The thing is I think I could have written what I did in maybe a few hundred less words but not in 5000 words. To be honest I mainly just did it for the experience of doing independent research and to explore a topic I'm interested in, universities won't even see my grade when I apply as I have already sent my UCAS form off and won't receive my EPQ grade till later this year-I just handed it phew it's such a relief to have it all behind me :smile:

What topic was your EPQ on? :smile:

It was on youth justice, using the murder of James Bulger as an example.
It was on youth justice, using the murder of James Bulger as an example.

Oh cool thats such an interesting topic :smile:

Yeah don't worry at all mine was 11000 words excluding the appendix and I got an A* :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Jackkkkk
Yeah don't worry at all mine was 11000 words excluding the appendix and I got an A* :smile:

That's crazy. We have a word limit of 2,700 on our dissertation! :frown:

(although it's a 6000 word total including lit review, intro and conclusion)
Original post by vaguity
That's crazy. We have a word limit of 2,700 on our dissertation! :frown:

(although it's a 6000 word total including lit review, intro and conclusion)

That shouldn't be allowed. AQA say 5000 words is a guid and if each word over is justified then you shouldn't be at all penalised.

Mine was about 6000 words on secondary research and 4000 on my primary research and experiment I did.

If you go over it should be fine as they all get moderated anyway.
Original post by Jackkkkk

Jesus you were committed haha! Woo well done that's amazing :biggrin:

Thanks for your reply :smile: Jesus you were committed haha! Woo well done that's amazing :biggrin:
Any tips for the presentation? Also, do we get marked on the content of the presentation? (AQA)
Original post by Buongiorno
Any tips for the presentation? Also, do we get marked on the content of the presentation? (AQA)

If you have a powerpoint, try and have as little text on each slide as possible, know what you want to say without having to rely on the powerpoint. Try and speak slowly and clearly, keep calm and you'll be fine :biggrin: You get marked on the delivery of it, your ability to answer questions at the end, and your use of resources, e.g. handouts, powerpoint, you have to cover all the different stages I guess, why you chose the topic, what you found out and an evaluation. But ultimately only the people there are going to see it so I wouldn't worry about it too much as they could write anything and AQA would have no idea if it were true or not :P
Hey so basically I'm thinking of doing mine on the evolution of something from nothing and its philosophical implications. It would be mostly science evaluating the big bang theory at a quantum level + other theories (less detail) and what this all means for Us and God in a philosophical context. I was thinking about 70% science and 30% philosophy. Is this too hard though? I've already done a lot of reading into this but do you think the maths would be just too complex also is the title a bit to broad? thanks.
Hi, I'm currently in the middle of researching my EPQ project based around controversies of the Olympics. I find the topic very interesting, however there is one small problem, the cost of books. Books that i have found on this topic tend to be very expensive, £30 plus, so was wondering how detrimental it would be to only have 1-2, or perhaps even no books as sources. Would this cap me at a mediocre grade, or through carefull selection of internet sources, would I be able to get away with it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending