The Student Room Group

police caution/ verbal warning?!

Hi my friend did asked me and i really didnt know what i should response. some time ago he had been stopped by security in shop and police was called they have warned him, but he didnt sign any documents from a police, havent been arrested or taken on police station, just they wrote his details in the notebook and checked him over the radio. he didnt recived any letter or anything from a police and he dont know if he was actually cautioned or just verbally warned. all this situation was a huge mistake though. he never did againts law anything before and afer, much volount. work, clinical experience, from his previous science related degree first grade.he has no idea if this from police is on his crb check or not. and next october he really wanna apply med. he is deprssed cannot sleep, trough the tears preparing to sit ukcat in may. whats ur advices in this situation? any chances for him? he is so stressed over that recently he started have depression after this meeting with police.i feel sooooooooooo sorry for him :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't quite get what the situation is. What was he accused of doing?

If it was only a verbal caution and he was never arrested or anything, I don't think it will necessarily be a problem for medicine. He does need to get a bit of a grip though - crying all night this far in advance of his application is hardly a great start.
Reply 2
He can check his police record by getting a CRB check, or going to his local police station. It doesn't sound like something that was written down though, so he should be fine.
Reply 3
he was accused of shoplifting. he is depressed because he thinks that it may appear on his CRB check and will be not accepted, bec. of this, as well he dont have idea if it is caution or verbal warning... first time he had a close meeting with a police, so he have been in like shock. as he informed me he wrote to unis but in fake email to get their views, but didnt recived yet any response. He is strong personality, but he is so concentrated on careere , doing till now everything to achieve it, left his private life for it when this caution/warning situation happened.
Original post by dagak
he was accused of shoplifting. he is depressed because he thinks that it may appear on his CRB check and will be not accepted, bec. of this, as well he dont have idea if it is caution or verbal warning... first time he had a close meeting with a police, so he have been in like shock. as he informed me he wrote to unis but in fake email to get their views, but didnt recived yet any response. He is strong personality, but he is so concentrated on careere , doing till now everything to achieve it, left his private life for it when this caution/warning situation happened.

But did he actually shoplift?
Reply 5
thank u Hummi,but whatif it will appear at the CRB? does he has any chances to get into as an graduate with a caution for theft if he has it written like this down? i think he will go to headquarters just to check out, but im affraid if it may appear if its quite fresh?
Reply 6
it was all mistake, but he panicked over, so he was agreeing over what they was ever saying, lol he as he said he was just keeping repeating "it never happened before, I am very sorry!" lol. he was a kinda a shock. i met him few days ago and he was still sheaking. u know the ride on back in polica car i suppose is no nice exp. and especially that he is very honest and good person, and everytime obey any law.
Reply 7
May well not affect him, but if it was proved he shoplifted and was cautioned on that basis...... it sticks I'm afraid!

if it was all admitted at the time as a case mistaken identity, then should be no need to worry......
If not and if he committed a crime then it's a criminal record for a v. naughty boy!! He needs to be fully truthful with you about it as you are kind enough to be helping him and sympathising with his plight.

i would be tickling him too if he had been guilty of it!! :smile:)
-Nothing he can do about it now anyway!
Reply 8
he said me truth and i belive him, i know him quite well,lol. so first check it in local police and hopes thats nothing abut it? if it will appear and there was no arrest no court no conviction "just" caution should he declare it ? or if its reprimend? i have spend all night trying to find out whats whats to help him. can he be a positive? when he will apply it will be 2 years after. as im saying they took his adress, name, noted in netbook, and thats it, whats shocking, no any signing no paperwor. one of them was frightening him much, and in a shop he said to him: now we will go to pilce station, and after, we will check ur adress, and 2we may arrest u, have u been in a prison boy? its not nice place but i might put ya in, but instead they just dropped him close to his house and said : behave boy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Democracy
He should be okay, I've been in similar situations with the police* on more than one occasion and I got into med school with no problems and my CRB was clean. Tell him to take it easy.

*Not shop lifting. Or for stop and search, before you ask.

But should he say anything to the Unis before or after he will apply, what about ucas part?
Reply 10
is there like a paperworh stuff for a cautions? not a conviction i ask, Thank u very much for ur patience for my questions.
Formal cautions will show up on your record, but it's unlikely that they'd contribute to losing a place at medical school. If he were proven to have shoplifted and the issue was serious enough, I'm sure he would have been convicted of doing so. If he wasn't convicted it's not a strict ground to not admit him in my opinion.
Reply 12
Original post by MattKneale
Formal cautions will show up on your record, but it's unlikely that they'd contribute to losing a place at medical school. If he were proven to have shoplifted and the issue was serious enough, I'm sure he would have been convicted of doing so. If he wasn't convicted it's not a strict ground to not admit him in my opinion.

So makinglong short if he havent been convicted, it may appear as a caution on crb, but its still will not disturb his application? I told him about ur answers guys, he says thank u, u uplifted him a wee bit. hopefully, the best will be if oit was just verbal, we will check after some time on police station. Cheerz guys for help!
If he had no paperwork served on him, if he had no interview at a police station and if he was not arrested for any offence then

He will not have a police record.

If any of the first sentence is not true, or your friend has hidden details of the incident from you then my second sentence is of no use.
Reply 14
Don't think he will have any permanent record if it was just a verbal caution.
Reply 15
No, that was a "stop" - not a warning or a caution. Not an issue for med at all. I've had one and it wasn't even an issue when I applied for the Police.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 16
It won't be on his record, but seeing as your friend seems like the hysterical type, i get the impression that this will not reassure him. GET A CRB CHECK on himself - when it comes up clean hopefully he will stop crying and get on with his life. Then tell him that preparing for the UKCAT 6 months in advance is excessive too.
Reply 17
He not get nothi. On his crb as police never arrest him and done interview. Never give him nfa or charge or caution sheet he free just need becareful of secuiry again try black list his name as police had no evidence. Can't arrest him free

Latest

Trending

Trending