The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

HULL.

Hey :smile:

So I'm an international student and I want to apply to Hull university, I would like to know what Hull is really like. I would like to get insights from people who visited Hull before recently, go to uni there or live there. I heard that Hull has a bad reputation, as loads of my teachers who are English told me not to apply there as they said Hull isnt 'nice' or is 'rough'.

I would like to know if these statements are true and would you recommend apply or not and what are your perspective of Hull.

thanks!
I'm a third year Psychology student at Hull uni, and I love living here :smile: It's true that Hull used to have a very bad reputation, but this is no longer the case. Most of the people I've met here have been lovely, and I've never felt unsafe or like it was a rough area. When I was applying a few people told me that it was a bad area, but I found that the people who were saying it usually had never been to Hull, didn't know anyone from Hull, and were just basing their opinions on stereotypes!

There's a big international community at the uni as well, and our student union just won union of the year.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2

I actally live just outside of Hull, and I'm also applying the university there.

I'm not gonna lie, parts of Hull is rough, not all of it, but it's pretty run down. There's a lot better cities; but the university has got a really good reputation, apparently, according to people I've talked to, it's quite a student friendly university, and most of the time you're away from the rough part of Hull as the university's in quite a nice area.

It depends what you're applying for, I'm applying for Chemistry which has a really good reputation, so it depends on that as well.

I know a lot of international students (mainly Japanese) apply there so you're not alone xD

Hope this helps :smile:
I have lived in Hull for five years and now go to the Uni there.

Like all cities in England and that includes London, there are bad parts to it and some good parts. As a student though, you will will never have to go to the rough parts of Hull unless you purposely make a trip there and the area where the Uni is is possibly the nicest part of the whole city.
Reply 4
Hull has alot of international students so you'd fit in very well here. I'm a 2nd year Biomed student and we must have atleast 30 internationals out of about 200 of us. They tend to post the internationals closest to the university in freshers year so you'll have plenty of opportunity to explore the rest of Hull as the city centres approx. £2.80 return and the buses run every 15mins or so.

Key areas of Hull:

University: The union houses 2 bars, Waterstones, Union Shop and The Concourse Lounge. Whether you go to John Mcarthy (day only i think) or Sanctuary (hosts Karaoke) the prices are cheap and the staff pleasant. Both serve food during the day and there is a quick snack bar ( jacket potatoes, bacon sarnies) for those on the move as well as multitudes of other cafes around the various campus buildings. The Union Shop is a tad expensive as its there for convenience but great for emergency supplies. The library is huge and usually has what you need with a variation of loans, past papers, journals and computer access. However if your feeling the cost of university you can always bring in your own sandwiches etc. and warm up food in The Concourse Lounge or sit in the Staff House (also serves hot food canteen style.

Newland Avenue: 15mins walk from the university this road has everything and anything you could ever need. There is a multitude of shops, pubs, bars and amenities. Food wise:Tesco's express and a Sainsburys aswell as Fulton and Heron foods if you want cheaper plus a variety of local produce shops. We also have a milkshake shop that has over 200 flavours <3. If your missing home a little there is also a great many international food shops too so whether native or not you'll always find something that takes your fancy down this road.

Piper is the most prominent club down here and is a favourite haunt of students though is a little small compared to The Sugar Mill and Position that are based in the city centre aswell as The Asylum which is the universities club/venue.

City Centre:
As with most cities there plenty of shopping centres, a giant Tesco railway/bus station and at least 4 cinemas. For most part it's not a very aesthetic city but the marina by Princes Quays is fairly beautiful with the boats there and the 'old town' section of Hull which has a more classical feel. Of course you can't talk about Hull and not mention The Deep our very own aquarium, everyone ends up going sometime or another. We do have an ice rink hidden away somewhere in the industrial area too.

Cottingham:
The quaint little village next to Hull is where many students stay for freshers. It does have a large population of old people and charity shops but this just means things tend to be cheap and you might be fighting for buses on Wednesdays when the OAPs migrate to town centre for some unknown reason. Even if you are based in Hull it's worth popping out here once in a while as it's a really nice place and they do great Sunday lunches.

The only thing i don't like about Hull is the internet and the lack of bands that play here :biggrin:

Sorry for the essay. PM me if you need anymore info.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm 21 and I've lived in Hull all my life, I even go to Hull Uni.

Of course, like any city whatsoever there are bad parts, and can be a bit of "violence" on a typical night out. But, if you're a student, you'll spend your time going to uni, which is in a very lovely place, lots of trees, near boutiques, independent coffee shops, etc and most likely live near by. The Lawns (uni halls) is in a lovely village which is about 10 minutes bus ride away, surrounded by big houses and again, very lovely.

As for nights out, there is Asylum, the student union pub, and of course, Spiders (an absolute must for any student; very cheap and friendly!)

Hope this helps
Reply 6
Original post by GazelleRot
I'm 21 and I've lived in Hull all my life, I even go to Hull Uni.

Of course, like any city whatsoever there are bad parts, and can be a bit of "violence" on a typical night out. But, if you're a student, you'll spend your time going to uni, which is in a very lovely place, lots of trees, near boutiques, independent coffee shops, etc and most likely live near by. The Lawns (uni halls) is in a lovely village which is about 10 minutes bus ride away, surrounded by big houses and again, very lovely.

As for nights out, there is Asylum, the student union pub, and of course, Spiders (an absolute must for any student; very cheap and friendly!)

Hope this helps

^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
Reply 7
I live in Hull too!

Like it was stated, theres good areas, bad areas, and extremely wealthy areas just like any other city in the world.
It has a decent range of shops throughout the city, some chains which are quite rare too such as Boux Avenue.
It's got rich history and plenty of museums etc in the Old Town area which is lovely.
It got hit hard by the recession so you will see closed down shops etc but it's picking up and seems to be doing really well with companies such as Hilton Hotels and Siemens investing in the city.
Jobs are hard to come by as it is the worst place for unemployment in the UK but if you're lucky enough you should find a job no problem.

The people are all friendly and helpful, some are obviously a bit rough and quite trampy but thats the same as anywhere
The City is quite cleaning if you keep to the right areas, there is alot of regeneration going on which could see Hull jump forward and become really modern.
It is one of the cheapest places in the country to live as you will see by House prices and rent prices but even your general shopping would be cheaper for example, I was in a shop and saw an Apple item for £32.99 but when i went for a weekend in London the price was £80! So you will save yourself alot of money in Hull.

Also the University has a REALLY good reputation and it's one of the best in the country for plenty of courses. The area around the University is gorgeous too.

You'll love it here!
Hull is better than people make it out to be.

The city centre has plenty of amenities, it's just a little run down. Same goes for the student housing areas. Uni is where you'll spend most of your time though and it's much nicer!

I also find the people friendly up North too, not violent ruffians like you might be lead to believe.
Reply 9
I have the option of going to Hull for my year in industry (i'm a nottingham student) and I was wondering if there are many electronic music nights? I mean techno, house, garage that sort of thing.
Original post by Adamando

I actally live just outside of Hull, and I'm also applying the university there.

I'm not gonna lie, parts of Hull is rough, not all of it, but it's pretty run down. There's a lot better cities; but the university has got a really good reputation, apparently, according to people I've talked to, it's quite a student friendly university, and most of the time you're away from the rough part of Hull as the university's in quite a nice area.

It depends what you're applying for, I'm applying for Chemistry which has a really good reputation, so it depends on that as well.

I know a lot of international students (mainly Japanese) apply there so you're not alone xD

Does hull have a good chemistry reputation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Hulll really is a surprisingly nice and interesting city, especially round Old Town...
Original post by Adamando

Is it true hull has a good chemistry reputation?
Why chemistry degree are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest