The Student Room Group

PPE offers for 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Hmm. Still waiting on all five counts, more than two months after sending my form off. Damn you Warwick, Durham, York, and LSE. Oxford, you get a free pass, you invited me for interview and told me when I'll get my rejection.
Reply 301
Original post by Deep456
The three subjects are studied pretty independently in the first year. You can effectively drop one altogether from year 2.

There is a lot of work, probably the most at the university. This is down to the fact we do 150 CATs (credits) worth of modules, only Economics and EPAIS (as far as I know) do as much. 120 credits constitutes as an university year so most subjects only do 120. From year 2, it will drop down to 120 for us as well, so in many ways, the workload will ease if anything.

There are two streams for Maths, ones for those who are good at it and have done A-level Maths and another one for the beginners, those who haven't done A-level Maths.

The students are of a high quality, most of them with bags of A*s/As. Lectures offer a limited learning experience and hence, are not that useful but when we have smaller classes, they are. Typically, we have one for each module. Class sizes range from 5 in my Philosophy and Maths classes to about 20 in my Industrial Economics and Stats classes. However, so far, they have tended to be around 10 for me. There are a lot of people who contribute little to nothing to these classes though, so in reality, you can get a lot more attention should you desire.

It's a pretty rigorous degree and the course is enjoyable. However, Warwick itself as an university, I am still not too keen on. The people are generally quite odd, albeit nice. There isn't much to do though, it has to be said and a lot of time can be wasted doing nothing productive. I have also struggled with the fact there are limited places to eat and no canteen as I cannot cook.

I can't see the likes of York or Durham being a lot more livelier than Warwick.
How is the course examined? Does your entire grade rest on a bunch of summer exams? Does it basically stay that way in years 2 and 3?

That's the one thing about Oxford and LSE that puts me off.
Original post by Deep456
Reading through this thread, it reminds me of last year.

I got rejected at Oxford after interview and got my Warwick PPE offer in March if it helps anyone, I am now there studying PPE.

Sorry to be a pest but I have a few questions I'd really appreciate if you could answer

1) Are there many PPEists who didn't do maths/don't have full A2 maths? Is there anything particularly exceptional about these students to "make up for it" so to speak, or are they roughly the same as those who do have full maths?

2) If you don't mind saying, how were your grades at gcse/a levels? March is pretty much the endgame as far as offers go, so I figure the grades of people who get offers at that stage would be pretty telling.

3) Is there anything else that disappointed you about Warwick? I feel like I've been over-idealising it which would make a rejection all the more unpleasant. :colondollar:

Original post by Redolent
Sorry to be a pest but I have a few questions I'd really appreciate if you could answer

1) Are there many PPEists who didn't do maths/don't have full A2 maths? Is there anything particularly exceptional about these students to "make up for it" so to speak, or are they roughly the same as those who do have full maths?

2) If you don't mind saying, how were your grades at gcse/a levels? March is pretty much the endgame as far as offers go, so I figure the grades of people who get offers at that stage would be pretty telling.

3) Is there anything else that disappointed you about Warwick? I feel like I've been over-idealising it which would make a rejection all the more unpleasant. :colondollar:

Well, pretty much everyone has bags of A*s at GCSE and you need A*AAb at A-level so no, wouldn't say so. Out of the 95 odd, I would say about 20-25. Some people were let in who missed their offers, quite a few actually. However, they had amazing AS grades/GCSEs so who knows?

6 A*s, 4As at GCSE/IGCSE
A*AABa at A-level in Maths, History, Economics, Further Maths and Government and Politics. Would say, this is kind of misleading as my As were quite close to A*s and I self-taught the B.

Not really, the course is actually great. It's just the rest of Warwick that isn't so good.

@Poster above:
You are tested during the year, sometimes via coursework, sometimes in small tests. Most of the exams are in the summer, yes. Yes, pretty similar in years 2+3. First year is just pass to progress which is 40%. However, apart from a few tools, no one really aims for this. A 2.1 is 60% and a 1st is 70%. There is a sort of a glass ceiling, so in reality, getting over 75% is virtually impossible.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Deep456
Well, pretty much everyone has bags of A*s at GCSE and you need A*AAb at A-level so no, wouldn't say so. Out of the 95 odd, I would say about 20-25. Some people were let in who missed their offers, quite a few actually. However, they had amazing AS grades/GCSEs so who knows?

6 A*s, 4As at GCSE/IGCSE
A*AABa at A-level in Maths, History, Economics, Further Maths and Government and Politics. Would say, this is kind of misleading as my As were quite close to A*s and I self-taught the B.

Not really, the course is actually great. It's just the rest of Warwick that isn't so good.

Alright, thanks man. Looks like a mixed bag for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 305
Original post by Mouth
Anyone heard back from Lancaster/Exeter/Manchester or anywhere else known for giving PPE offers slightly early?

Yes, offers from Manchester and Lancaster, both 35 points.
Reply 306
Original post by bencoey
Yes, offers from Manchester and Lancaster, both 35 points.

How long did it take for Lancaster to reply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 307
I heard from Lancaster in November. Anyone heard from Exeter?
Reply 308
Still waiting on exeter also.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 309
Original post by CAFCmatt
I heard from Lancaster in November. Anyone heard from Exeter?

got an offer from exeter today. It came quite late in the evening though, maybe they just started sending them off slowly, as they have been during the whole process?
Reply 310
Original post by pikomar
How long did it take for Lancaster to reply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Around 2-3 weeks if I remember correctly.
Reply 311
Original post by bencoey
Around 2-3 weeks if I remember correctly.

Congrats btw :smile:
I applied to Lancaster 2.5 weeks ago but haven't heard back . What were your predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 312
Original post by pikomar
Congrats btw :smile:
I applied to Lancaster 2.5 weeks ago but haven't heard back . What were your predictions?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers, 37 IB points.
Reply 313
Original post by bencoey
Cheers, 37 IB points.

I received an offer from Lancaster today! What subjects do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 314
Original post by pikomar
I received an offer from Lancaster today! What subjects do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations!

I do HL:

Economics
Philosophy
English Lit

And SL:

Maths
Physics
Spanish
Reply 315
Original post by bencoey
Congratulations!

I do HL:

Economics
Philosophy
English Lit

And SL:

Maths
Physics
Spanish

thank you
nice!! philosophy must be difficult!
i ve got:
HL:
economics
maths
history
english B
SL:
modern greek
biology
my predicted grade is 36
and i m doing my EE on philosophy. (what about yours? :smile: )
Reply 316
I love philosophy and I don't find it too difficult. My EE is on English Lit, I thought that was the easiest subject to do it in, I found it fine.

I wish I did bio/chem instead of physics, I am finding it tough!
Reply 317
Original post by pansophical
Ever came to Mauritius?

It is not as good as predicted. Some elements in it are weak. :frown:

philosophy, that must be awesome!
ah ok! :smile:
I did not get any interview >.<
I got rejected from oxford
and a conditional at Warwick.

Hey, I'm applying to Warwick too!
Could you maybe tell me what your predicted grades were and how long did it take for it to answer?
Also, congratulations for your offer!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 318
Original post by sitatunga
I've only just found this thread :colondollar:

So far I have an unconditional for Glasgow (Politics and Economics), a conditional from Durham (PPE, AAA) and an interview for PPE at Oxford Jesus.

I've also applied to Warwick for PPE and St. Andrews for IR and philosophy.

Congrats for the offer and the interview!
Do you remember how long it took for Durham to answer? I've applied there as well and I'm getting kind of nervous... :P

Good luck with your interview! (if you hadn't had it already :P)
Reply 319
Original post by bencoey
I love philosophy and I don't find it too difficult. My EE is on English Lit, I thought that was the easiest subject to do it in, I found it fine.

I wish I did bio/chem instead of physics, I am finding it tough!

Yeah physics is difficult but your grades are fine so its Kay :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending