The Student Room Group

Corsa 1.0 or 1.2?

So my beloved c1 was smashed yesterday after some drunken idiot ploughed into the back of it. It's looking like it could be written off. It hasn't been written off yet, but my dad is pretty sure it's going to be, so I'm looking for another car.

I'd quite like a corsa, but I've read that a 1 litre engine is too small for its weight, especially on the new shape model. Can anyone tell me whether it's worth paying the extra 50-100 quid or so on insurance to get the 1.2?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1 litre is a 3 cylinder 1.2 is a 4 cylinder.
TBH, there's not a lot in it. Both models are going to be gutless in terms of power.

Why not test drive one of each and make up your own mind?

Alternatively, post up how old you are and what you want from a car and maybe someone will be able to suggest something a little bit better than a corsa.
Reply 2
Original post by JC.
maybe someone will be able to suggest something a little bit better than a corsa.

There is no such thing!

Sent from my GT-S5363
Reply 3
Original post by JC.
1 litre is a 3 cylinder 1.2 is a 4 cylinder.
TBH, there's not a lot in it. Both models are going to be gutless in terms of power.

Why not test drive one of each and make up your own mind?

Alternatively, post up how old you are and what you want from a car and maybe someone will be able to suggest something a little bit better than a corsa.

The 1.2 will be slightly less gutless though :tongue: I'd imagine the fourth cylinder gives you a better torque band too, although that may well be more down to engine design than number of cylinders.
Reply 4
Original post by Nuffles
The 1.2 will be slightly less gutless though :tongue: I'd imagine the fourth cylinder gives you a better torque band too, although that may well be more down to engine design than number of cylinders.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is torque? :biggrin:

I'm 19, I drive it on the motorway to uni, just needs to be cheap really, my c1 was fab, but I just fancy a change, you know? My c1 was a 1 litre and it struggled up hills but it held its own on the motorway. :smile:
Reply 5
When I had a Corsa 1.2 as a hire vehicle, it was gutless. It's top speed up a shallow hill was 60mph, which, as you probably can guess, isn't good enough.

If you really want the Corsa, go for the 1.4 or the diesel 1.3 - petrol is cheaper but the diesel is far superior - who cares about HP when it's a small car, it's all about the torque! (it's the same engine as what's in my Suzuki)
Reply 6
Original post by Westie.
When I had a Corsa 1.2 as a hire vehicle, it was gutless. It's top speed up a shallow hill was 60mph, which, as you probably can guess, isn't good enough.

If you really want the Corsa, go for the 1.4 or the diesel 1.3 - petrol is cheaper but the diesel is far superior - who cares about HP when it's a small car, it's all about the torque! (it's the same engine as what's in my Suzuki)

If only I had the money to insure anything above a 1.2, but I don't :wink: haha I've just realised that when I watch top gear I've been thinking when they say torque, that they were saying 'talk' and that it was about the engine sound! oh dear me
Reply 7
Oh and also - where do you guys stand on cat d?
Reply 8
Original post by Nuffles

There's still sod all in it. The 4 cylinder is a rattly old thing. I did a cambelt on one once and it was a bitch of a job. I forgot how awkward and hateful corsa's are to work on until Juno brought hers round for a tail light swap the other week. Should have took 10 mins tops including getting out and putting away the tools... ended up closer to 40 minutes. :s-smilie: Yeah. They are that fun.

Back on topic... I do actually quite like the 3 pot unit. It's actually quite a lot smoother than you'd expect. That said, you're still picking between "shuffle" and "crawl". :wink:
I think realistically 100bhp per ton is about right for around town. No point having more than that and any less just makes overtaking a bit of a gamble.
Reply 9
I prefer Diesel engines to petrol so when I was given the option of keeping my KA or 'inheriting' my Brothers' Corsa CDTI 1.3 (My Brothers on a Sports Scholarship in America for 4 years so I sold my KA, transferred the Corsa so everything is in my name etc etc and I love it!! :colondollar:)
Reply 10
Original post by GDAlex18
I prefer Diesel engines to petrol

LOL!

Diesel::s-smilie:

Petrol: :cool:

:wink:
Reply 11
haha
Get a 06 plate Astra 1.4 sxi 3dr. I

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by JC.
LOL!

Diesel::s-smilie:
:wink:

You can tell you're a car lover from the generation before us :tongue:

In a perfect world I'd take a stonking big naturally aspirated V8 any day, but this aint a perfect world buddy. I'd quite happily take a nice big turbo diesel saloon if I could afford the insurance. Soon. Soon.
Reply 14
Original post by Nuffles
You can tell you're a car lover from the generation before us :tongue:

In a perfect world I'd take a stonking big naturally aspirated V8 any day, but this aint a perfect world buddy. I'd quite happily take a nice big turbo diesel saloon if I could afford the insurance. Soon. Soon.

All about prioritys isn't it?
I don't smoke or drink or go away every year on 5 grand holidays. So I ofset that against running around in something a bit more interesting than the norm. We've got a 3.9 V8 LR Disco to run around in every day at the moment so hardly the last word in performance. Nice and comfy though which is what really matters if you're going to sit in traffic, eh?
Reply 15
Are you talking about the Corsa D?
Reply 16
Original post by JC.
All about prioritys isn't it?
I don't smoke or drink or go away every year on 5 grand holidays. So I ofset that against running around in something a bit more interesting than the norm. We've got a 3.9 V8 LR Disco to run around in every day at the moment so hardly the last word in performance. Nice and comfy though which is what really matters if you're going to sit in traffic, eh?

I am but a lowly student. I do drink, and I do like my food (I swear I spend way more than I should on food cravings) but most of my money gets poured into photography. Motoring is sort of a secondary hobby, which is a shame really as I really enjoy it.
Reply 17
I'm not a student. I'm a 20 year old, and I work full time. I was thinking of getting an 3.0L Audi A6 TDi, however I can't fit in my parent's garage. I'm stuck for choice between a 2.0L A3 or the old 2.0L Ford Focus Titanium - the insurance for all three of those cars are now in the affordable range.

And I'll tell you why I'm a diesel fanatic. I drive my 1.3L Suzuki Splash TDi (it's a Multijet, or as you GM people call it, CDTi) at speeds of excess of 80mph every day. Even at that speed, it's very responsive, and willing to punch out more. All that with an MPG of about 53-60, which compared to a 1.2 Corsa petrol which at those speeds (if it got to them) managed only 20MPG - I think my colleague's Audi A8 4.2L petrol managed better than that at 100mph.

Petrol is brilliant for around town. I don't do that many town miles, as you could tell... :3
Reply 18
Original post by kiai8
Oh and also - where do you guys stand on cat d?

Your going to get mixed feedback with this. Are you going to buy it while its still damaged? and repair it yourself or one that has been repaired???

If you want to repair it yourself there is not tooo much risk if you are able to identifiy where the impact and damge is fairly well and repalce all the parts that needs to be and make good. While everyone looks for just pure panel damage its never as simple as that, as brackets/pins/bolts all are damaged in the process so it can all add up.

Buying an already repaired car will take the hassle out of it, but you can never know how well the repair work has been done and its not always obvious what repairs have been done. Although most people have pictures og the damage before the repair so it may be worth asking for that, if they say they dont I would walk away.

Advantages of CAT D/C's has to be the price, as a guide the car should be valued at half the price of a straight car give or take any extras that may have been added to the car. Insurance is not normally effected by a previous write off but the payout will be less but they normally tell you what they value the at and in most cases its higher then what you would be able to sell it for. Selling the car can become a hassle as the car will be worth less and everyone that comes the see the car will use the CAT status against you to try and get the car for free.

CAT D's are fine and can offer much better value for money but I think it does take a person who is mechanically minded to make sure its in good nick moreso then buying a used car normally
Reply 19
Original post by JC.
There's still sod all in it. The 4 cylinder is a rattly old thing. I did a cambelt on one once and it was a bitch of a job. I forgot how awkward and hateful corsa's are to work on until Juno brought hers round for a tail light swap the other week. Should have took 10 mins tops including getting out and putting away the tools... ended up closer to 40 minutes. :s-smilie: Yeah. They are that fun.

Back on topic... I do actually quite like the 3 pot unit. It's actually quite a lot smoother than you'd expect. That said, you're still picking between "shuffle" and "crawl". :wink:
I think realistically 100bhp per ton is about right for around town. No point having more than that and any less just makes overtaking a bit of a gamble.

To be honest, if you're talking about the Corsa D then you're correct. However, if it's the Corsa C, then that would be a chain-belt and not a cambelt and the difference between the 1.2 and 1.0 i personally believe to be very big. The 3 cylinder is absolutely gutless. The 1.2 on that version at least had some form of go.

My problem with the new ones is the weight of them against keeping the power the same, plus the irritating noise of the engine and that smell - has anyone else smelt the newer Vauxhalls? They smell awful.

Latest

Trending

Trending