The Student Room Group

Buying a Car

Hi All,

I'm very confused on the process of buying a car. Do I get insurance first or car first? Should my first car be a used car? Is Autotrader a good site? Good insurance for first time drivers?

Thanks
Car, then insurance. You can't get insurance without providing details of the vehicle you want to insure.

Most new drivers will start with a used car. Makes sense both financially and from a POV of the fact you'll probably have a few dings and knocks over the first couple of years.

First time drivers insurance - shop around, use comparison sites.

Autotrader only as good as the people selling on it.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Car, then insurance. You can't get insurance without providing details of the vehicle you want to insure.

Most new drivers will start with a used car. Makes sense both financially and from a POV of the fact you'll probably have a few dings and knocks over the first couple of years.

First time drivers insurance - shop around, use comparison sites.

Autotrader only as good as the people selling on it.

So if I were to buy the car at a dealership, would I be able to drive it home and then buy the insurance? Also, Autotrader seems like the only decent site for me, unless you have other recommendations?
Thanks again!
Original post by SS__
So if I were to buy the car at a dealership, would I be able to drive it home and then buy the insurance? Also, Autotrader seems like the only decent site for me, unless you have other recommendations?
Thanks again!

Yes, dealers will usually have temporary insurance that will cover you for a day. They'll explain if that is or isn't the case.

I've not used car buying sites so I can't comment, (although I've heard bad things about The Trade Centre UK so would avoid). I'm sure someone else can chip in though.
Original post by SS__
Thanks again!

Remember to get an insurance quote before you commit to buying the car, just to avoid any huge surprises after. (I almost got a Renault Clio as that was what I learned in, but insurance quotes were 1600+, but I got a similar Corsa insured for half that. You might get temp/drive home insurance from a main dealer like Ford, Toyota etc, but I've never been offered it from a general used car dealer & had to insure and tax it to legally drive away from their shop.

Auto Trader does not sell cars, it's merely a classified selling site that any yahoo can list a car on with a small fee, the aforementioned Corsa I bought was through an Autotrader ad and it was a dangerously corroded ripoff, and it's not like you can just call Auto Trader and say you don't like the car. I just use Gumtree tbh, the same cars will often be offered on both sites/more.
Reply 5
Original post by StriderHort
Remember to get an insurance quote before you commit to buying the car, just to avoid any huge surprises after. (I almost got a Renault Clio as that was what I learned in, but insurance quotes were 1600+, but I got a similar Corsa insured for half that. You might get temp/drive home insurance from a main dealer like Ford, Toyota etc, but I've never been offered it from a general used car dealer & had to insure and tax it to legally drive away from their shop.

Auto Trader does not sell cars, it's merely a classified selling site that any yahoo can list a car on with a small fee, the aforementioned Corsa I bought was through an Autotrader ad and it was a dangerously corroded ripoff, and it's not like you can just call Auto Trader and say you don't like the car. I just use Gumtree tbh, the same cars will often be offered on both sites/more.

So don't go with Autotrader or proceed with caution?
Original post by SS__
So don't go with Autotrader or proceed with caution?

Proceed with caution, just be aware that Auto Trader has 0 to do with the actual car or it's sale, they just host adverts from lots of people and traders. They do charge a fee to list ads for people which cuts down on some of the chancers and timewasters tho, By contrast Facebook Marketplace is full of idiots and fake ads.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending