The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1560
Original post by Ivo
Regarding open offers for medicine, do they tend to give them out to poolees or those who were fished for interview but ultimately unsuccessful, if that makes sense.
No idea - I'd have thought open offers could go to both poolees who were not recalled for interview and poolees who were, but I don't know.

Original post by mick.the.fish
So is the general opinion that (phys) nat sci offers/interviews will be sent out tomorrow?
They might be, and they might not be. The priority tomorrow will be to get the rest of the interviews invites sorted out, but I'd expect some people to hear about offers, though Monday onwards is more likely.
Reply 1561
Original post by uniphysics
As much as I want to disagree, I agree :colondollar:

My interviews went relatively okay but my UMS is low and I'm pooled. I'm fairly certain that UMS is the most important thing for the science courses

Do you think that applies to med as well?

My interviews went relatively okay but my UMS is low and I'm pooled. I'm fairly certain that UMS is the most important thing for the science courses

but don't forget, if your UMS is low and they pooled you then they obviously see something in you! :smile:
Original post by Bord3r
Anyone noticed that the vast majority of those fished are accounts with less than 10 posts. Do people make accounts just to announce they've been fished?

I made an account when I heard I'd got pooled because I was too stressed to sit at home quietly and couldn't talk to it with my friends - some already who had offers and others who were rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1564
Original post by Kidioteque
But isn't it the case that certain people who weren't fished by other colleges may be taken back by their original ones if the college finds no-one they prefer?
Yes - but small numbers.

Original post by WJRA
Yes but I believe that would also already be decided.
Not always.

Original post by unbridled
Not necessarily; a college could interview some candidates from the pool, but then think that a candidate they themselves placed in the pool was better, and so make them an offer. This would obviously be after the interview, so it wouldn't be decided yet.
Yes.

I can't tell if I'm just being really stupid, or not expressing myself properly...

Suppose that:

College A pools applicant X

College B pools applicant Y

College A thinks applicant Y might be better than applicant X, but they aren't sure, so they fish Y from the pool in order to interview him

After interview, College A decides that X is better than Y after all, so fish X back to themselves - the original college.

Surely this is an instance in which the decision isn't made until quite late on?
Yes.

Original post by ukdragon37
College A would pool X for one of two reasons:

1) X might be good enough for Cambridge, but unfortunately the competition in A is too intense and all of A's spaces are filled. In this case A would not be fishing at all anyway.

2) A thinks X might be good enough for a straight offer, but want to check X against the quality of the pool first. Here I argue this can be done in the early stages in the pool where colleges can take applicants back, and X would be none the wiser he has been pooled. After all X's preference should be respected if possible, and A only has to be satisfied that X is above the uni-wide threshold for admission since X being considered for a straight offer shows the competition in X may not be very intense.

One should realise that the colleges do not necessarily (and in fact I would think not often) both pool and fish for the same subject, unless large swathes of their direct applicants are sub-par (in which case the college might even just opt for rejection rather than pool).
Actually, I think this happens more than you might suppose. Some of the pooling is 'hidden' as in it happens before the decision letters go out and so some people will never know that they were in the Pool in the first place.

Ah right, I see what you mean. Guess I'm just reading into the wording of my letter too much (they said my application was still under consideration with them, but they were also making it available to the pool). Also, in last year's pooling thread I've see posts from people pooled AND fished for my subject and college, so I guess there are exceptions. Nonetheless, I get where you're coming from, cheers :smile:
It does sound like your college had put you in the Pool with 'active interest' - what we don't yet know is whether another college expressed in you and if so what happened as a result!

Original post by magic012
should I email my preferred college? Or the general undergraduate admission office?
I'd do both, in your shoes.

Original post by economist17
Does the pooling not take place after decision letters have been sent out? (3-4 Jan)? In which case nobody can be pooled without realising it?

I could be wrong, but those are the dates I seem to remember seeing in the Pooling Handbook.
It is possible for people to have been in the Pool without knowing it, but it's only those whose college took them back on the first day.

Original post by docmom
I thought I was the only mum here :smile:
:no: :smile:
Original post by Ivo
Do you think that applies to med as well?

Medicine and Maths are a little bit weird...these Cambridge admission tutors like to confuse people :P

I think it is still relevant, but there's things like BMAT which I think they would put a lot of emphasis on too. I'm just speculating about that though, don't think anyone knows for sure
Original post by mick.the.fish
but don't forget, if your UMS is low and they pooled you then they obviously see something in you! :smile:

ahaa hope so xD

what did you apply for?? :smile:

In an ideal world, each college would values things slightly differently and we'd all be perfectly matched to one of them :colone: They obviously saw something in you if you were pooled despite being below the 93% threshold. To be honest, I'm in a similar boat to you I think; however, I've applied for Law so maybe I'm lucky in that respect :holmes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1568
The document we've got says about 150 out of the thousand pool officers are the original college.
If they were going to reject me, I wish they had done it straight away instead of giving me hope. I would have been less upset then I think :frown:
Reply 1570
Original post by nicolettuce
Congrats! And those kind words are more helpful than you know :smile:

Thank you, good to know - best of luck to you!
Original post by Minerva
It does sound like your college had put you in the Pool with 'active interest' - what we don't yet know is whether another college expressed in you and if so what happened as a result!

Hmm that doesn't sound great :no:
Minerva- How much contact have admissions tutors had with applicants on the Sunday after the pool? *In the past few years
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Minerva
Actually, I think this happens more than you might suppose. Some of the pooling is 'hidden' as in it happens before the decision letters go out and so some people will never know that they were in the Pool in the first place.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make in an earlier post saying that applicants would be none the wiser about they've been pooled.

Besides this however I argue that fishing and pooling by the same college for the same subject is illogical. Pooling would suggest the candidate is good enough for Cambridge, yet fishing suggests there are spaces available in the college. Hence the candidate should just have been admitted. The only explanation would be that the college is trying to obtain the best or better candidates in the pool, a sort of "he is good enough for others but not good enough for us". I would say this is not using the pool properly as it is not respecting the preference choice of the pooled candidate, who by the fact that he has been pooled implies that the college thinks he is good enough.
(edited 11 years ago)
They did not fish lot of PBS applicants today, right? :h: That means we still have some hope! Either that or PBS fished people are keeping it a secret :K:

Good luck to everyone still swimming and congratulations to every rescued fish:smile:
Reply 1575
Original post by Silverland
Who am I kidding? I'd decorate pictures of Girton across my bedroom for the rest of my life if they were so good as to pool fish me!

I'll be wishing for Girton to fish you, fellow ex-Pembrokian :tongue:
We can turn the Pembroke crew into the ex-Pembroke pooled to Girton crew
Reply 1576
Original post by ukdragon37
This is exactly the point I was trying to make in an earlier post saying that applicants would be none the wiser about they've been pooled.

Besides this however I argue that fishing and pooling by the same college for the same subject is illogical. Pooling would suggest the candidate is good enough for Cambridge, yet fishing suggests there are spaces available in the college. Hence the candidate should just have been admitted. The only explanation would be that the college is trying to obtain the best or better candidates in the pool, a sort of "he is good enough for others but not good enough for us". I would say this is not using the pool properly as it is not respecting the preference choice of the pooled candidate, who by the fact that he has been pooled implies that the college thinks he is good enough.
There are far far more candidates who have the potential to do well at Cambridge than there are places for them, so there is a need to look across all applications and benchmark them in some way, which is what the pre Christmas meetings do, and the Pool process continues this, for candidates who could go either way. Colleges do look for slightly different things - you wouldn't have the variation in practice around admissions tests, for instance, if they didn't - so it's not necessarily a case of Emma palming off on Girton people who are good but not top-flight (by Cambridge standards, of course).

In the end, as almost anyone in this thread would tell us, going to a different college from the one you had in mind at the beginning of this exercise is not the end of the world.
Reply 1577
So who would make the calls/send out emails and posts? The CAO or the Admission office of the college itself?
Reply 1578
Original post by SilverDawn
They did not fish lot of PBS applicants today, right? :h: That means we still have some hope! Either that or PBS fished people are keeping it a secret :K:

Good luck to everyone still swimming and congratulations to every rescued fish:smile:

As far as I've noticed, no. Only one so far.
I just have no idea what's coming next for all of us poolees.
And then tomorrow, when I wake up, check this thread, a lot will be fished out and still me hanging here. Oh that scenario... Just kill me.
Original post by _Georgie
I'll be wishing for Girton to fish you, fellow ex-Pembrokian :tongue:
We can turn the Pembroke crew into the ex-Pembroke pooled to Girton crew

I'll join the crew!! :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending