The Student Room Group

Lnat preparation!!!!!!

Can you guys help me in the LNAT Test preparation? Im going to sit it at the beginning of the new year and desperately need some revision/prep tips.

P.S - yes i did hear that you can't revise for it but it doesn't mean that there is no way of getting yourself ready for it. Which is why i would really, really, really(!) appreciate any given help. Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

I am taking mine on Jan 10th - when is yours?!

Someone told me to read the latest newspaper such as Guardian etc a few days before. Reading the opinions, and small articles part.

I've seen it's in 2 parts. The first is 45 multiple choice questions, based on short passages you'll read. You get 90 mins for this.

The second is an essay. But you don't need to know specific facts about the question. Their website says...
"Candidates can prepare for the LNAT by exercising the relevant parts of their brain. This can be done by reading a quality newspaper (in English) every day. As you read

Think about the issues being raised;

What assumptions are being made?

What information is being relied on to draw which conclusion?

How would you frame a counterargument?

Reading a quality daily newspaper will help you to be aware of the world around you. The LNAT essay topics will not be specifically about current affairs, and you will not be judged by what facts you know. But knowing how the world ticks, in general terms, will help you to write intelligently about a host of different topics.
We have listed some newspapers below worth considering. You can read the online versions (usually freely available, although registration may be required). If you do read the online versions, remember to read the comment pieces as well as the news. (One question you might ask yourself: What exactly is the difference between news and comment? Is the contrast really apparent in practice?)
Hope this helps!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I havent booked mine yet but im going to sit it before january 15th at the latest (prederably 7-10 because of a level exams i hve ahead of me too which i need to concentrate the most on at the moment). And what do you mean by the comments section in the newspaper? Lets suppose i'll buy "the guardian", where can i look for it? It may sound extremely dumb but im juat curious..

Reply 3
Sorry for the spelling mistakes but i was typing fast from a phone..

You can't really prepare for it, I highly doubt that reading The Guardian will do you any benefit this late in the day. Just do the practice tests on the website to get used to the format, then try your best on the day.
I did mine in early December. As the above poster says, it's fairly difficult to prepare for, I just did the online practice papers a few times.
Reply 6
Thats what i thought. Well that kind of sucks then but, nevermind i guess i have to follow you guys and do a whole load of past papers and hope for the best. Just out of ciuriosity, how did you do at it? Btw, thanks for your responses.

It won't let me do any practice tests online, it makes me download something which is not compatible with my Macbook - any idea's?
Reply 8
Hi, I did my LNAT a few weeks ago and if I'm honest I didn't do a lot of prep at all, apart from flicking through the newspaper everyday, but no major reading. I haven't got my result back yet, but I've had offers from both of the LNAT Universities I wanted, Birmingham and Nottingham. Both on the same day which is funny. But don't stress, it's nowhere near as bad as you expect!
Original post by Matt_94
Can you guys help me in the LNAT Test preparation? Im going to sit it at the beginning of the new year and desperately need some revision/prep tips.

P.S - yes i did hear that you can't revise for it but it doesn't mean that there is no way of getting yourself ready for it. Which is why i would really, really, really(!) appreciate any given help. Thanks

revise - try reading complex information or otherwise wait - i don't know quite how long - and see if it sorts itself out. in other ways you can't really revise, but do try the example tests.
Reply 10
I printed off the sample tests on the website and found them to be really similar to General Studies papers so I've been doing General Studies past papers to prepare for it too; I've got a General Studies exam soon so its like two birds being hit with one stone :smile:)) I wouldn't recommend preparing for the LNAT so late (ironically that's exactly what I've done) however I'm a little more confident being the kind of person who reads up on current affairs for leisure anyway.
I'm doing my LNAT on the 18th of January and i've prepared by basically just reading the independent everyday, hopefully that will work for me.
Reply 12
The Independent is far too simple for preparation, you should try reading things like The Economist and Financial Times which are so much better and provide pretty much everything you need for argumentative skills and such. I read the online versions; as if I can afford the magazine or actual papers hahahaha. What uni's are you applying to? the 18th seems really late to be taking the LNAT so I doubt you're applying to UCL?
Reply 13
Do you have links to the websites with these magazines?

Reply 14
www.economist.com
www.ft.com - you have to subscribe to the financial times to read their articles, it's free though which is good.
The bad thing is that you are restricted to reading only 6 articles a day on the economist and 8 for financial times.
Original post by GCas
The Independent is far too simple for preparation, you should try reading things like The Economist and Financial Times which are so much better and provide pretty much everything you need for argumentative skills and such. I read the online versions; as if I can afford the magazine or actual papers hahahaha. What uni's are you applying to? the 18th seems really late to be taking the LNAT so I doubt you're applying to UCL?

I'm applying to Durham and Bristol
Reply 16
Original post by selfridges123
I'm applying to Durham and Bristol

Ahh cool, I'm applying to Bristol too along with King's College and UCL. I only started revising for my LNAT at the start of the week and I got 19 out of 42 in my first practice exam so it's pretty scary because all those Uni's must be expecting something in the range of 20+ to give offers out hahaha
In all honesty, I didn't really read any newspapers in particular or anything...I took mine back in October and I just did practice questions from online and from the book you can buy in preparation for the multiple choice and then I planned out some essay style questions, just to get used to how much you can write and thinking the question through quickly and concisely...I don't know how I did but I have offers from both my LNAT uni's so...:smile:
Reply 18
Original post by HayleyMB05
In all honesty, I didn't really read any newspapers in particular or anything...I took mine back in October and I just did practice questions from online and from the book you can buy in preparation for the multiple choice and then I planned out some essay style questions, just to get used to how much you can write and thinking the question through quickly and concisely...I don't know how I did but I have offers from both my LNAT uni's so...:smile:

You've actually went and prepared for it in advance though whilst I haven't :s-smilie: COngratulations on your offers by the way! WHere did you apply?
Reply 19
Hi guys, I've got mine Tuesday morning. Just done first practice paper got 32/42 is that any good? Not really confident about the essay tho, any tips structure wise? I'm on a gap year so haven't written a decent piece of work in ages and have left it till the last minute to prepare! I'm hoping my multiple choice will be okay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending