The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2340
Original post by Silverland
Congrats! :biggrin:

Awesome college to get fished by as well! Very pleased for you~

Thanks, I thought I was heading for a rejection after 90% UMS and a relatively poor set of interviews, but they must have seen something in me. To anybody who hasn't been fished yet, there is still hope!
Original post by Cantabrigian77
Congrats! I'm currently a Magdalene student, you'll love it here :smile:

I know, the place looks amazing!
Reply 2342
every time someone from CompSci gets fished I feel like this

WHY WON'T YOU LOVE ME CAMBRIDGE, WHY??
Original post by nickyr212
I know this is quite late, but SAY WHAT?! WE DID IT! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know! We shall have to meet at Cambridge next year! Im so excited right now :biggrin:
Reply 2344
Original post by Rhiannonymous
Hey I got 88% average for UMS too! Hello fellow NatSci pooler, had any luck yet? :smile:

Oh haay!! Good to know there is someone else like me, out there in the deep, dark depths of this pool :tongue: and no, no luck yet. Which college were you pooled from?
Original post by Sharpeyj
I did! My ums is around 88% across my 3 sciences. I'm guessing from your username you are physical natsci? :tongue: which college were you pooled from?

ahaa good guess :P

yhh my average is 87%ish across my top 3 sciences :/

I applied to St John's, how about you?
I just wanted to say I got an email a few hours ago telling me I got a direct offer from Magdalene college for PBS!!!!

YEAHHH!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

And thanks @grammar12 for posting on TSR that you had also, it's what made me check my emails. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nickyr212
Dude, seriously? My (new) college just sent a really short letter. xD

You will have heard by now that Clare College has placed your application into the inter-college pool for consideration by other colleges. I am very pleased to be able to tell you that Girton College has taken your application to read Psychological and Behavioural Sciences out of the pool, and we will be making you an offer for 2013. Your offer will be confirmed through UCAS and via letter from us within the next week or so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The odd thing was, that my phone rang 5 minutes before the email came through but nobody was on the other line so i was really annoyed but then this came through. I literally haven't stopped smiling nor dancing around the house :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 2348
Original post by grammar12
This is how the letter read:

[.... personal detail removed by moderator....]

I am delighted to be able to say that following the Winter Pool process here in
Cambridge (which you should have received a letter about, dated around 3rd
January from your preference College, but let me know if you have not),
Magdalene College has successfully managed to obtain permission make you an offer of a place here in Cambridge and in our College (exact details, terms and conditions will follow in a formal offer letter).

Whilst I am sure you must have mixed feelings about not being taken by your
preference College, let me reassure you that most Colleges (including our own) have roughly 5 times as many applicants as they have places available, with many of them being the top or one of the top applicants from their school, and most are very well qualified for the places they are applying for.

From what we can see and what your preference College has shown us, that you weren't taken by them would seem purely down to them being over subscribed for the course you applied for, whereas we did not have quite so many applicants for your chosen course.

Can I also reassure that most Cambridge Colleges are relatively similar in
nature, and I hope you will be happy to receive an offer of a place from
Magdalene.

It may take us around a week, maybe even ten days to get an offer letter in the post to you: I hope you will not mind this, there are many applicants who were not so successful, with who we should make contact, and some applicants where the decision was not so clear cut as it was with you and so we are bringing them back to Cambridge for a reinterview - I am sure you can understand, and hope the good news that this email brings will serve as a stop-gap.

hi guys! I got this exact letter too but I'm a little confused because i never received notice I had been pooled (which is possible because i live in the US so i might not have received a letter yet) but I applied to magdalene in first place so I'm not really sure what's going on and i don't want to get excited and then be crushed if this is all a glitch!!
Reply 2349
Oh my hope is like 0 now lol
for PBS...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by gregzz

Haha, I can relate to this.
Original post by saskiey
hi guys! I got this exact letter too but I'm a little confused because i never received notice I had been pooled (which is possible because i live in the US so i might not have received a letter yet) but I applied to magdalene in first place so I'm not really sure what's going on and i don't want to get excited and then be crushed if this is all a glitch!!

It sounds to me like you got in, you may have actually got in without being pooled because its very strange they haven't emailed you that you had been pooled. Just to be sure though, i would ring your college or the Cambridge admissions team. Well done though. What subject did you apply for?
Reply 2352
Original post by gregzz

Join the club. Still waiting!
Reply 2353
Original post by gregzz

A similar story for me. Had a two great interviews (or so I thought, looking back one was slightly strange) and 95+ums. Got pooled by Clare. I reckon it was my TSA score which let me down, I had to do it at 4 in the afternoon feeling fairly tired.

Still, Bristol looks nice.
approximately when do emailing/calling times open/close??

or is it just completely unpredictable?
Reply 2355
Original post by okey666
A similar story for me. Had a two great interviews (or so I thought, looking back one was slightly strange) and 95+ums. Got pooled by Clare. I reckon it was my TSA score which let me down, I had to do it at 4 in the afternoon feeling fairly tired.

Still, Bristol looks nice.

I now know 3 people who would be going into Bristol if they don't get fished for CompSci!
Reply 2356
Original post by grammar12
It sounds to me like you got in, you may have actually got in without being pooled because its very strange they haven't emailed you that you had been pooled. Just to be sure though, i would ring your college or the Cambridge admissions team. Well done though. What subject did you apply for?

thanks! (if i'm in...freaking out about that part) i applied for biological nat sci..... it's too late in the uk to ring them today right?
Original post by chocoholic_x
I just wanted to say I got an email a few hours ago telling me I got a direct offer from Magdalene college for PBS!!!!

YEAHHH!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

And thanks Grammar12 for posting on TSR that you had also, it's what made me check my emails. :smile:

Yaaaaay, massive, masive congratulations! :biggrin: :h:
Do you guys reckon there is a Cambridge stigma about people who go to Homerton (from other students, etc) ??
Reply 2359
Original post by MarinaEve
Do you guys reckon there is a Cambridge stigma about people who go to Homerton (from other students, etc) ??

No.

Latest

Trending

Trending