The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3560
Any engineers heard anything yet?
Original post by 777edr777
Ah ok thanks :smile: both humanities (ish)! We have hope!

If they took me back I'd be sad they'd left me for so long and then be all
Got the call for pool on Friday (I'd applied to Pembroke) then received a phone call from Newnham with an offer to study Arabic and Persian on the very next day! Good luck to all in the pool, it's absolutely agonising. Chin up!

Anyone else into Newnham?
Original post by I'll.Be.Back
That's very true, I think it's just a case of who your interviewers are looking to teach, it's a subjective process to many extents and purposes, so it's tough.
My teacher told me it's nothing to be offended about at all if you get pooled or rejected, at the end of the day, it's who your interviewers prefer teaching... To get rejected after the interview stage doesn't mean you're not good enough for Cambridge (else you wouldn't have had the interviews), you're good enough, perhaps just not to the specific requirements of your college tutors.
Best of luck with pooling though :smile:, and don't get too stressed over this, that you can't focus on revision!

Thanks :smile: i got an interview with girton a couple of days ago so i'm really hoping that goes well. But seriously until i heard my revision was totally warped so i feel so so sorry for people that haven't heard as i know i couldn't concentrate on much if i hadn't.
Can we be fished for another college that required an admissions test in the first place? For example, I applied to Downing where it was only an interview...would I not be considered by another college that set an admissions test?

Yeh I was wondering the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MarmiteLady
anyone from Emmanuel?? xx

Yep I am!! For medicine, resigned to a rejection :frown:
Reply 3566
Yeah, my friend got fished for HSPC, but that was immediately she'd been pooled...maybe the do a quick one, then spend more time? Good luck!

eeek, dunno how to feel about that one :tongue: thanks!
Original post by I'll.Be.Back
That's very true, I think it's just a case of who your interviewers are looking to teach, it's a subjective process to many extents and purposes, so it's tough.
My teacher told me it's nothing to be offended about at all if you get pooled or rejected, at the end of the day, it's who your interviewers prefer teaching... To get rejected after the interview stage doesn't mean you're not good enough for Cambridge (else you wouldn't have had the interviews), you're good enough, perhaps just not to the specific requirements of your college tutors.
Best of luck with pooling though :smile:, and don't get too stressed over this, that you can't focus on revision!

think you're missing out on the possibility that one college may be very oversubscribed, and so by accepting the very best and both colleges pooling those who are marginal, they can then compare which of the marginal candidates to take on, so it doesn't matter which college takes whom
I do think it would be fairer if:

1) You apply to Cambridge as a whole.
2) You are interviewed by a random Cambridge college (just to spread the workload).
3) You are offered a place at Cambridge.
4) You are allocated a place at a college through a ballot system, with strength of application giving you priority in cases of over-subscription.

That way, all the colleges would have the same admissions policy, as the people they give offers to will not necessarily go to their college.
I feel like they've stopped giving out offers now, or are finishing off... seems like noone has heard anything today :s-smilie: surely they're not still considering pool applications...

This sucks.
Reply 3569
Original post by Kidioteque
Alright alright, no need to be smug

Im sorry if it seemed smug - it isn't. I was trying to let you know what I knew about a college to be helpful.
I am of course pleased with an offer but bearing in mind that my father is dying and so I can't take my place this year, it is great but really not so important in the scheme of things for me right now.
Reply 3570
Just to let any maths applicants who may be interested. I was pooled from trinity for maths, and got a call yesterday from trinity hall giving me an offer.. I heard that trinity and trinity hall may have links when it comes to the pool so don't give up hope.
Original post by Zorgz
Just to let any maths applicants who may be interested. I was pooled from trinity for maths, and got a call yesterday from trinity hall giving me an offer.. I heard that trinity and trinity hall may have links when it comes to the pool so don't give up hope.

So sad Trinity Hall is pooling so many people! :frown: congrats!!
Original post by Noonoo
Im sorry if it seemed smug - it isn't. I was trying to let you know what I knew about a college to be helpful.
I am of course pleased with an offer but bearing in mind that my father is dying and so I can't take my place this year, it is great but really not so important in the scheme of things for me right now.

Yeah I appreciated the info about Homerton, thanks for that. Really sorry to hear about your dad, hope Cambridge let you defer your place until 2014. :hugs:
Can we be fished for another college that required an admissions test in the first place? For example, I applied to Downing where it was only an interview...would I not be considered by another college that set an admissions test?

Yes you can, several people have had that happened to them in this thread so far :smile:
So not very many people have heard at all today? In terms of offers/interviews?
Reply 3576
Original post by Sharpeyj
I know! I would never email them to ask though, I prefer to keep the dream alive, haha :P

I'm the same! I'm too scared to ask because it'll probably be a rejection and if its not they might hate me for emailing when they said not too and then I'll be rejected anyway! Haha :')
Reply 3577
Been trolled harder than i have ever been in my life. After a day of waiting for an email/phonecall hopelessly the phone proceeds to ring. My Dad picks up, confirms it is me they are after so i then foolishly galavant downstairs only to find out it is the local gym. Frustrated doesn't come close to my current sentiments
Original post by MarmiteLady
anyone from Emmanuel?? xx

MEEE
I got pooled for chemical engineering via natural sciences
chance of me getting an offer is low :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3579
Actually got pooled by St Catz and got an email from Trinity requesting a phone interview!! Ahh wish me luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending