The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Question Mark
if they have sufficient info then they will make an offer or reject. if you were them what more do you require to make a decision?

Compare them against other applicants who they don't have sufficient information for.
if they have sufficient info then they will make an offer or reject. if you were them what more do you require to make a decision?

It may not be the B candidate they are concerned about, but the candidate they're re-interviewing. It may be that the re-interview candidate had an S on their file so the collage felt it necessary to reinterview them but not the B candidate. Or the B works as a back up incase the reinterviewed candidate isn't what they are looking for. Just a thought...
Reply 4462
Original post by Natural Science
Pooled by Downing for Nat Sci. Fun.

Not sure if autopool or not, best 3 UMS is above 93, most relevant 3 UMS (Maths, FM, phys) is just under, but rounds up to 93

SNAP!
Original post by ss06
Compare them against other applicants who they don't have sufficient information for.

this is for non preference college's. they have access to the applicants files. so I do not underst and your point.

I fo not believe there are going to be many "B".
Reply 4464
Original post by amg_22
Three interviews later and I can finally relax, oh wait I have two exams on Monday -.-

Were the re-interviews the same format as your interviews?
Original post by ss06
I think it is used when the college has already got enough information on a candidate so they do not need to interview (e.g. good report from preference college). Then after interview they decide between all candidates including those with the B mark. So yes, they will only find out after interviews. I'm still swimming... I don't think most medics have heard yet actually because, from what I understand, they keep all medics till the end and decide on open offers.

Hey, I'm a potential medic too and I'm feeling absolutely terrible about this whole process. I was just wondering what you actually based your understanding 'that medics will be kept till the end' on. From my understanding open offers are extremely rare, and so it is less than unlikely that they will keep us all till the end to discuss making us an open offer. (Most are saying that if we don't hear back by the 14th were doomed - surely then based on what you said, they should emphasise that this doesn't apply to medics?) Also, have you tried checking last years thread? I haven't, I'm not saying that you should :smile:, but surely if you're to make such statements then you probably should have. Sorry to sound patronising, I honestly don't mean to, I'm just trying to persuade myself that I've been rejected.
Original post by mp1995

he doesn't seem to want to say ?
Original post by jamil78613
Hey, I'm a potential medic too and I'm feeling absolutely terrible about this whole process. I was just wondering what you actually based your understanding 'that medics will be kept till the end' on. From my understanding open offers are extremely rare, and so it is less than unlikely that they will keep us all till the end to discuss making us an open offer. (Most are saying that if we don't hear back by the 14th were doomed - surely then based on what you said, they should emphasise that this doesn't apply to medics?) Also, have you tried checking last years thread? I haven't, I'm not saying that you should :smile:, but surely if you're to make such statements then you probably should have. Sorry to sound patronising, I honestly don't mean to, I'm just trying to persuade myself that I've been rejected.

According to last year's thread, medics were kept waiting longer.
Reply 4468
Fourth and final Cambridge interview over, I've had enough now!
More waiting to hear, maybe they'll be busy comparing me to all you 'B' candidates :tongue:
Rejected:

NatSci applicant, St.john's

I gave it a good shot, as did we all. We should all be proud of ourselves. Best of luck to everyone in which ever path you take, be brilliant x
Until I get my rejection I'm going to assume I'm "B" against any odds you may like to throw at me. As long as there is a chance I can be in I'll like to delude myself that it may encompass me until I get my e-mail
Original post by Alex Bampton
Rejected:

NatSci applicant, St.john's

I gave it a good shot, as did we all. We should all be proud of ourselves. Best of luck to everyone in which ever path you take, be brilliant x

I'm so sorry about that. I always thought you were a great applicant. You'll be amazing for whichever place you end up at though! Am I right in thinking that your 2nd choice is Durham?
Reply 4471
Original post by mp1995

depends what you mean. they first one had no questions about the ps, books i read or the A level syllabus, but these ones were more related. however these are differences that are likely to occur due to the college i.e. not it being a reinterview - i image i got asked the same questions as someone being interviewed by that college the first time round :smile:
Original post by medicdude
According to last year's thread, medics were kept waiting longer.

And when they did find out, was it mainly direct-offers, direct-rejections, offers post re-interview, rejections post re-interview, or open offers?
Reply 4473
congrats. how did they go? were they similar to the original interviews?

thanks :smile: first one was extremely average, second went well but few aspects could of gone better and third was average (just a general one about my ps so i image everyone did well in this as it was just a chat - nothing challenging)

and yeah they were mostly similar
Original post by amg_22
depends what you mean. they first one had no questions about the ps, books i read or the A level syllabus, but these ones were more related. however these are differences that are likely to occur due to the college i.e. not it being a reinterview - i image i got asked the same questions as someone being interviewed by that college the first time round :smile:

you sound more happy this time around. it seems less academic and more personal?
Reply 4475
Original post by _Georgie
Fourth and final Cambridge interview over, I've had enough now!
More waiting to hear, maybe they'll be busy comparing me to all you 'B' candidates :tongue:

Were they the same as your first interviews?
Original post by jamil78613
And when they did find out, was it mainly direct-offers, direct-rejections, offers post re-interview, rejections post re-interview, or open offers?

17th last year, so would be 16th this year I believe. Although there were only a couple who said/reported rejections.

1 reported offer post interview, and one open offer post interview. No direct offers or rejections after interview reported. A load of direct rejections.
(edited 11 years ago)
My little fish is swimming onto waters new after her letter today . I would like to thank Minerva and the rest of this inspirational community for the support given by this thread to my fish and to me too!
I just know you will all go onto great things at great universities, I hope you get to meet up in uni bars across the country and be proud of your achievements.
For those awaiting interview outcomes I wish you good luck and for those still swimming I hope you get closure soon whatever that may be so that you can refocus on those exams!
Goodbye :smile:
Original post by Silverland

I'm so sorry about that. I always thought you were a great applicant. You'll be amazing for whichever place you end up at though! Am I right in thinking that your 2nd choice is Durham?

Ah thanks mate I don't know what would give you that impression but it's much appreciated. My 2nd choice is Birmingham actually I really liked it there.

You are also a great applicant and I wish you all the best in the upcoming days where you shall gain closure either way.
Original post by the.austrian
What I've learnt from the Cambridge pooling process:

1) Every college lacks communication skills.
2) I don't like being a fish.
3) After the 7th Jan the make or break of direct offer vs. rejection is torture.
4) No news isn't always good news.
5) I hate waiting.
6) I want to go to a university that understands human emotion.
7) see point 2

Just thought I'd bring this up again. I really like #6. That keeps me happy even though I may be rejected. It's like after all this I don't even want Cam that much anyways. Perhaps all Cambridge has ever meant to me was a prestigious way of meeting people who also loved their subject and Academia. All the pool has really shown me I guess is that even the most idealistic of places has harsh realities and nothing is as ever good as you dream of it.

Latest

Trending

Trending