The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if I defer my second choice (durham or lse) can I still reply to Cambridge in October? Thanks!
I think all of us still swimming deep down know that we are waiting around with false hope. Deep down, we know that inevitable rejection letter/email is just round the corner. It hurts to say, but I think it is the truth.
Reply 4702
Original post by Mystic Creature
I think all of us still swimming deep down know that we are waiting around with false hope. Deep down, we know that inevitable rejection letter/email is just round the corner. It hurts to say, but I think it is the truth.

I've already accepted that I've been rejected, just that my college seem to take a lot of time sending out rejection letters based on last year's thread, just put me out of misery, Cambridge....
Original post by _b3th_
Does anyone know if I defer my second choice (durham or lse) can I still reply to Cambridge in October? Thanks!

No sadly this doesn't work - you have to reject your place/deferred place on results day if you want to re-apply through UCAS. However if you go to Durham/LSE in October you can apply to Cambridge whist your there - but only for a different subject to the one you would be studying. - Not a common option.

if you get good enough grades to re-apply, then I would expect Durham/LSE to offer you a place again! GL
Reply 4704
Does anyone else feel like the pool has made them thirsty for more? After my interview I promised myself I wouldn't consider reapplying if I failed but now it's crossing my mind..
Original post by Jackkkkk
No sadly this doesn't work - you have to reject your place/deferred place on results day if you want to re-apply through UCAS. However if you go to Durham/LSE in October you can apply to Cambridge whist your there - but only for a different subject to the one you would be studying. - Not a common option.

if you get good enough grades to re-apply, then I would expect Durham/LSE to offer you a place again! GL

Thank you! I guess I need to have a think about next year, won't make any definate decisions until results day though! Thanks again!
Original post by Mystic Creature

Sad, but true :frown: Good luck on your future endeavors...
Original post by jqian
I've already accepted that I've been rejected, just that my college seem to take a lot of time sending out rejection letters based on last year's thread, just put me out of misery, Cambridge....

This, a million times. This whole experience is making me feel pretty low. The only thing cheering me up at the moment is how so many of my friends got into Oxford today, about to burst with pride! I'm so glad they didn't have to go through this :biggrin:
Reply 4708
Original post by _b3th_

I'm not sure can do this - Cambridge says somewhere that they don't consider people currently enrolled as students at other universities.

But you are right about not being able to carry forward offers from this year and re-apply next year, even if the unis concerned agree to defer your place. This would still mean that it counts as being part of this cycle, and you can't apply in the next one without cancelling everything from it.
Original post by Minerva
They probably didn't say. It seems to vary, so no telling, I'm afraid. It may depend on whether they've had to timetable more interviews for your subject next week because of exam clashes or whatever.

Ahhhhgh, so no chance of tomorrow maybe?
Original post by Minerva
I'm not sure can do this - Cambridge says somewhere that they don't consider people currently enrolled as students at other universities.

But you are right about not being able to carry forward offers from this year and re-apply next year, even if the unis concerned agree to defer your place. This would still mean that it counts as being part of this cycle, and you can't apply in the next one without cancelling everything from it.

You can if it is for a different subject to the one you are studying, as i mentioned :smile:

Here is the link:

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/otherroutes.html#other

'If you wish to apply to Cambridge to read a different subject from the one you are currently studying at a UK university, we would assume that you had had a change of heart and no longer wish to study the subject you are currently pursuing. In this case your application would be considered, but would still need strong support from your current university tutor.'
Reply 4711
I haven't drowned - I'm merely going to swim in Durham's waters for MML. Farewell Queens', it was nice knowing you!
Reply 4712
Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•
Ahhhhgh, so no chance of tomorrow maybe?
I can't say 'no chance', but it would be optimistic to expect a decision by then.

You can if it is for a different subject to the one you are studying, as i mentioned :smile:

Here is the link:

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/otherroutes.html#other

'If you wish to apply to Cambridge to read a different subject from the one you are currently studying at a UK university, we would assume that you had had a change of heart and no longer wish to study the subject you are currently pursuing. In this case your application would be considered, but would still need strong support from your current university tutor.'
Ah - that's useful to know. I had understood it was a blanket rule, but clearly not.

You'd have to be very convincing about the change of heart though, wouldn't you - and it couldn't be a subtle change (eg from biology to Bio Nat Sci)?
Reply 4713
Just got rejected by Churchill(post) :frown: it's sad but imperial: here I come! :smile:
Original post by Minerva

Ah - that's useful to know. I had understood it was a blanket rule, but clearly not.

You'd have to be very convincing about the change of heart though, wouldn't you - and it couldn't be a subtle change (eg from biology to Bio Nat Sci)?

Yeah I wouldn't think that would be an allowed application as its basically Biology again but with a bit of maths and chem, which i guess you can take as optional modules at most uni's offer Biology anyway.

i think its more for people who maybe for example; took English lit A level and Bio, Math and decided to do Biology at bristol lets say, and then realised they made a mistake and actually want to do English Lit - then I think the application would be allowed.

I think its a pretty fair system as after all you should be applying to Cambridge for the love of the course and not the name :smile:
Reply 4715
im still swimming, how likely is it that i will get an offer haha?!

ive been wanting a rejection for ages.

get me to durham!
Reply 4716
Just sent an e-mail to Robinson, really cannot be asked to wait any longer, just want the news now.
Reply 4717
Original post by ojg12
im still swimming, how likely is it that i will get an offer haha?!

ive been wanting a rejection for ages.

get me to durham!
Not very likely, to be honest. Durham is a great uni.

Yeah I wouldn't think that would be an allowed application as its basically Biology again but with a bit of maths and chem, which i guess you can take as optional modules at most uni's offer Biology anyway.

i think its more for people who maybe for example; took English lit A level and Bio, Math and decided to do Biology at bristol lets say, and then realised they made a mistake and actually want to do English Lit - then I think the application would be allowed.

I think its a pretty fair system as after all you should be applying to Cambridge for the love of the course and not the name :smile:
Absolutely.
Reply 4718
Minerva, I received two sheets for winter pool.
One saying that I had from 5 of jan to 10 of jan to get an offer.
Does it mean is it finished for me? :frown:
Just drowned, history applicant for Christ's. Got an offer from Durham so just happy that the wait is over. Best of luck to everyone still swimming, hope it works out the way you want :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending