The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For Milgrams variation study, I did the "change of setting" however whilst describing I stupidly did not go through the entire procedure all over again, i just wrote that the procedure was the same as the original Milgram study, and the only thing that was changed was the setting. Lol. How many marks would i lose from this? Any ideas?
Everyone seems to have put "Context" and "State" for the cue dependancy question asking for the two main features. Am i the only one who put "memory trace" and "retrieval cue" :/
I did sit the paper and indeed it was 1 of the hardest they have ever made and the survey question has sparked much controversy. The answer for the participant design is INDEPENDANT groups as this design is best suited to comparing 2 or more groups. This was verified by both of the psychology teachers in my school, 1 with a Masters degree, the other with a PhD.
Questions like this have come up MANY times before, the unhealthy eating 1 for example a few papers back, that was a survey and it still was referring to PARTICIPANT designs.
Reply 43
Original post by homousandfalafel
For Milgrams variation study, I did the "change of setting" however whilst describing I stupidly did not go through the entire procedure all over again, i just wrote that the procedure was the same as the original Milgram study, and the only thing that was changed was the setting. Lol. How many marks would i lose from this? Any ideas?

If you have evaluated it perfectly, you will still get all 6 AO2 marks, but if you have not gone into enough description detail, you will probably only lose 1 AO1 mark so i wouldn't worry.
Ive remembered things that i wanted to put like the results are artificial and about a proper briefing but i think my evaluation was hopefully strong enough anyway.
Reply 44
Everyone seems to have put "Context" and "State" for the cue dependancy question asking for the two main features. Am i the only one who put "memory trace" and "retrieval cue" :/

I put context and state cues together and then Godden and baddeley's study
Reply 45
I wouldn't get too worked up over the survey question. It was only one mark. I think you will still be able to get some of the 3 marks for the next question no matter what design you chose, just as long as you wrote about the strengths of the design you chose.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 46
For the first feature of cue dependent I wrote how it explains forgetting due to the lack of cues in the environment and went on to talk about the cognitive environment which is the environment and our mood at the time of encoding. So the more similar the cognitive environment is when we are trying to recall info to when we encoded it, the more likely we will be able to remember it.

For the second feature I just wrote about state and context cues specifically with examples.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by bookworm786
What did people put for explaining human behaviour using the cognitive approach?

The 'show how x explain human behaviour questions' are always relatively difficult.

I think that it's mainly referring to applications of real life (as that's the closest to human behaviour). But using cognitive explain human behaviour is a difficult questions.

I put about repressed memories manifesting themselves through behaviour or attitudes i.e. if your Dad abuses your Mum then you may be aggressive towards males like your Dad in later life.

Bartlett said that memory isn't like a tape recorder, but instead we use schemes to help us understand what we don't about the world and this may make someone seem racist e.g. is there's been a robbery you may say the robber was a black man as this is what your schemas expect to happen.

Eye witnesses may be unable to recall information due to not being in the same state (during the crime you're stressed and during recall you're calm(er)) and the EW is in a different context i.e. during the crime they're at the scene of a crime, but during recall they're in a police station and because different cues are available during encoding and recall then forgetting will occur. However, to overcome this the police use the cognitive interview where they take the EW back to the scene of the crime and (to some extent) put them in the same state to aid recall and the cognitive interview yields 35% more information than other methods.

You are likely to lose a lot of marks from this. The 12 mark questions are band marked and a good description OR evaluation nets you band 2 which is 4-6 marks. However, you could be band 3 (good evaluation OR description and a basic opposite one with generally good grammar, punctuation etc.)

For description just putting:

A - To see if a venue from the prestigious university, Yale, to a run down office block affects the percentage of ps who shocked an innocent victim to 450V.

P - Ps attended a run down office block all other procedure was the same as in Milgram's 1963 study.

R - 48% of ps shocked innocent victim to 450V

C - A change of setting to the run down office block reduced obedience levels as the authority figures (dressed in a white lab coat etc.) is not perceived as a legitimate authority figure for this kind of environment.

May net you 4 marks at the most. Those types of questions look holistically at your answer and if holistically it's poor you'll be put in a lower band. However, if you had written out the procedure (where the bulk of the description for change of venue is) you'd probably get full marks.

As long as your evaluation was good though it shouldn't be too bad. However, if you messed the evaluation up, too, then I'd start anticipating a poor grade as the 12 marker is worth 20% of the paper.

Also, for those asking, this is the 4th time I've done this exam. (Although the previous 3 times I didn't try, hence why I'm a year 14)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
[QUOTE="simonb451;40974676"]
Original post by Neon-Soldier32
Participant design and experimental design are different thing. You were doing a SURVEY and so, why would you want to use an experimental design i.e. repeated measures, matched pairs etc? You are not manipulating an IV. Participant design refers to how you get your participants i.e. volunteer sample. Why would you ever need to use independent groups for a survey - you wouldn't. You would use a opportunity sample.

Exactly, out of 71 people, i was the only one to think like that and put opprotunity because everyone else put matched and repeated but i keep getting told im wrong even though you cannot have them in a survey

I did exactly the same but chose stratified sample but I'd never heard of a research design being the same thing as a participant design it really confused me but at least of its only 1 mark then thats not too bad!

For the question where it said something about that guy who was at the cinema and then couldn't remember and you had to explain why, I thought you could only use theories of forgetting so; Cue dependancy and repression but apparently you could include other theories of inputting as well so levels of processing and multi store model?
Which is really annoying because thats so easy to put in :frown:
It was 6 marks I think, do you think I could still get quite a few marks for just putting in repression and cue depndancy because I wrote alot and really went into as much detail as you could?

Oh and this is my 3rd time resitting haha.. Hoping for a B/A
[QUOTE="SJH128;41129912"]
Original post by simonb451

I did exactly the same but chose stratified sample but I'd never heard of a research design being the same thing as a participant design it really confused me but at least of its only 1 mark then thats not too bad!

For the question where it said something about that guy who was at the cinema and then couldn't remember and you had to explain why, I thought you could only use theories of forgetting so; Cue dependancy and repression but apparently you could include other theories of inputting as well so levels of processing and multi store model?
Which is really annoying because thats so easy to put in :frown:
It was 6 marks I think, do you think I could still get quite a few marks for just putting in repression and cue depndancy because I wrote alot and really went into as much detail as you could?

Oh and this is my 3rd time resitting haha.. Hoping for a B/A

For stratified you could say; the results are generalisable as the same represents a large demoraphic of society. The results are unlikely to be influenced by individual differences as lots of people with individual differences are chosen to be in the same.

The cinema question said using theories of forgetting and / or memory in which case you should always talk about both. However, I think simply talking about repression and CDTF probably isn't enough - these types of question tend to look for breadth as well as depth of knowledge. It depends how it's marked to be fair: You could get (potentially) 2 marks for saying; the film person X was seeing was a horror film and therefore this was traumatic for X and so the memory of the film was repressed (pushed) into the unconscious in order to protect him from the trauma associated with the film. Then for a third mark you could say that this is supported by Levinger and Clark who found that ps freely recalled more positive words than words with negative connotations (rape etc.) as those words were repressed. OR, Clifford and Scott who found ps who watched a violent film recalled 40 less items of info than ps who watched a non-violent film.

In case you're wondering memory points could include: X only watched the film once and MSM says rehearsal needs to take place in order for information (the film) to be transferred into LTM. X only shallowly processed the film and thus a memory was formed which wasn't durable. Then back these up with things such as anterograde amnesia patients / physiological scans and for LoP Craik and Tulving, cognitive interview etc.

Other points for forgetting include the decay of neural trace.

If it's any consolation, this is the 4th time I've done this exam.
Reply 50
[QUOTE="Neon-Soldier32;41132542"]
Original post by SJH128

For stratified you could say; the results are generalisable as the same represents a large demoraphic of society. The results are unlikely to be influenced by individual differences as lots of people with individual differences are chosen to be in the same.

The cinema question said using theories of forgetting and / or memory in which case you should always talk about both. However, I think simply talking about repression and CDTF probably isn't enough - these types of question tend to look for breadth as well as depth of knowledge. It depends how it's marked to be fair: You could get (potentially) 2 marks for saying; the film person X was seeing was a horror film and therefore this was traumatic for X and so the memory of the film was repressed (pushed) into the unconscious in order to protect him from the trauma associated with the film. Then for a third mark you could say that this is supported by Levinger and Clark who found that ps freely recalled more positive words than words with negative connotations (rape etc.) as those words were repressed. OR, Clifford and Scott who found ps who watched a violent film recalled 40 less items of info than ps who watched a non-violent film.

In case you're wondering memory points could include: X only watched the film once and MSM says rehearsal needs to take place in order for information (the film) to be transferred into LTM. X only shallowly processed the film and thus a memory was formed which wasn't durable. Then back these up with things such as anterograde amnesia patients / physiological scans and for LoP Craik and Tulving, cognitive interview etc.

Other points for forgetting include the decay of neural trace.

If it's any consolation, this is the 4th time I've done this exam.

Yeah for stratified I put similar things to what you said :smile: Ahh damn thats a shame if only I'd read the question properly cause thats a nice easy one to get full marks on really! :rolleyes: Oh well I'll have to hope I've done enough to at least get a decent amount of marks on that one I did apply studies and real life application to them both as well so :confused:

Hahaa by the looks of the exam I will probably be joining you in retaking it for the 4th time as well in the summer..
Reply 51
How did everyone do in this exam as grades were terrible at my school?
Original post by simonb451
How did everyone do in this exam as grades were terrible at my school?

I got an A, but we had a real mix of grades here...
Reply 53
Original post by Anny Smiles

Congratz I remember doing this exam in June, by look of things that exam does seem easier than the one you guys just saw in Jan. Thankfully I got a A in June, btw they have never asked in any single one of the exams to describe and evaluate Milgrams Original Study (1963), it always asking questions around it but not "it" directly.
Reply 54
Original post by Anny Smiles

I got an E which was shocking because i was predicted an A and hoping for nearly full marks. Psychology was the worst hit subject with over 35% of grades being U's.
Original post by kingshan16
Congratz I remember doing this exam in June, by look of things that exam does seem easier than the one you guys just saw in Jan. Thankfully I got a A in June, btw they have never asked in any single one of the exams to describe and evaluate Milgrams Original Study (1963), it always asking questions around it but not "it" directly.

We did the June exam as a mock, and I dropped one raw mark... No offence, but you had a BEAUTIFUL exam in June!!

Haha, a lot depends on which exam you revised for. I knew all my studies inside out, so Milgram wasn't a huge issue for me, it was more some very awkwardly phrased methodolgy/Key Issue stuff which caught most of my lot out I think :/
Don't suppose anyone has the mark scheme for this do they?
Reply 57
I got an A as well but quite a lot didn't do very well either:frown:
Reply 58
It was the middle section that really let me down- i got 12/12 on multiple choice, 9/12 on the 12 marker and then 5/36 on the middle section. they were all those scenario questions that were very unexpected.
Reply 59
I got an A, so relieved. Turns out the answer to the question everyone was debating was actually the experimental designs, i.e. matched pairs etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending