The Student Room Group

AQA AS Computing unit 2 17th January 2013

Scroll to see replies

what is addressable memory anyone ?
does anyone know what addressable memory is in simplified terms please
Reply 22
Original post by the illuminated
does anyone know what addressable memory is in simplified terms please

A computer system stores data and instructions in main memory, which is a large set of locations in which data (bytes) can be stored. To specify a place in memory, the computer uses a memory address, which is simply a number allocated to each byte in main memory. Memory addresses are sent from the processor to the memory along a set of wires called the address bus. The number of wires in the address bus limits the largest address that can be sent, and thus limits the amount of memory that can be addressed.

For example, if a computer had an address bus with 4 wires, it could send 24 = 16 addresses along the address bus. Because each address locates a byte in memory, the computer would have 16 bytes of addressable memory.

I can elaborate if anything wasn't clear.
thank you ! i understand it
Reply 24
Original post by the illuminated
does anybody know what areas are more likely to come up in the exam because i don't know and i am scared. are they more likely to ask us about tcp/ip. and i really hate simplifying Boolean algebra :angry:

You shoudn't revise only certain topics. You would be best knowing a good amount of everything than everything about a few things. Also everything has pretty much even chance of coming up. Exam boards don't want people to predict the questions so the questions are random.
Reply 25
One tip to memorize explaining how hardware works is to write points on a a4 page and stick them on your wall, read them whenever you can, when you wake up, get home, should help you remember, and just test yourself on each one. Sounds obvious but it does help a lot i find.

I'm not looking forward to looking forward to defining a key term which i have forgotten...
Reply 26
A few tips to everyone else:

- Write things you can't remember on post-its and put them up in your bedroom so you see them every day. I have the fetch-execute cycle on the whiteboard on my wall, and it's now ingrained into my head.

- Do as many past papers as possible, preferably the recent ones which focus on the harder things. You might like to go through them with the mark scheme by you, so after you complete a question you mark it. This helped me a lot. Alternatively, highlight the questions you don't know and go back to them once complete.

- Use the textbook, or the wikibook, for specific areas you don't understand. Wikibook: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Computing/AQA/Computer_Components,_The_Stored_Program_Concept_and_the_Internet

And, of course, get a good night's sleep on Wednesday night, and have something to eat before the exam.

I personally am struggling with the TCP/IP stacks and explaining how processors work, but getting there slowly... :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Treeroy
A few tips to everyone else:

- Write things you can't remember on post-its and put them up in your bedroom so you see them every day. I have the fetch-execute cycle on the whiteboard on my wall, and it's now ingrained into my head.

- Do as many past papers as possible, preferably the recent ones which focus on the harder things. You might like to go through them with the mark scheme by you, so after you complete a question you mark it. This helped me a lot. Alternatively, highlight the questions you don't know and go back to them once complete.

- Use the textbook, or the wikibook, for specific areas you don't understand. Wikibook: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Computing/AQA/Computer_Components,_The_Stored_Program_Concept_and_the_Internet

And, of course, get a good night's sleep on Wednesday night, and have something to eat before the exam.

I personally am struggling with the TCP/IP stacks and explaining how processors work, but getting there slowly... :smile:

We don't need to know processors specifically, do we? I mean from the book, we need to understand how it links with other devices, buses, peripherals, etc, is that what you mean?

A silly question, but since the June 2012 paper had questions about type selector and css, would be probably get something completely different, maybe to draw a website from a html?

I really am hoping this exam will go easy.
Reply 28
Original post by thu_
We don't need to know processors specifically, do we? I mean from the book, we need to understand how it links with other devices, buses, peripherals, etc, is that what you mean?

A silly question, but since the June 2012 paper had questions about type selector and css, would be probably get something completely different, maybe to draw a website from a html?

I really am hoping this exam will go easy.

Yeah, that's what I meant about the processors.

Drawing a website from HTML would be great, but I'm not sure if it will be that easy. Last January had that, and it was quite a nice question.
Reply 29
Can someone explain the check digit thing for me, im having trouble understandign it
Reply 30
the January 2011 paper is ridiculously easy in comparison to the last 2, fingers crossed for simple questions
Original post by GeoHall
Can someone explain the check digit thing for me, im having trouble understandign it

Check digits???

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Thanks for this amazing wiki books link!! But how can I remeber this in 2 days!!!???

Reply 34
Original post by Farid Jalil
Thanks for this amazing wiki books link!! But how can I remeber this in 2 days!!!???

Learn what they are as a definition then if you have time get some practice learning the technique
Reply 35
Is there anything in particular that has never come up that we should look out for?
Reply 36
I have a feeling that there'll be a 3-4 mark question about how data is read/written from a CD-ROM or CD-RW. I haven't seen it in the past papers before.
Reply 37
Original post by thu_
I have a feeling that there'll be a 3-4 mark question about how data is read/written from a CD-ROM or CD-RW. I haven't seen it in the past papers before.

Yeah, possibly. I think the only other hardware devices we need to know the principles of operation for that haven't come up previously are touch screen, digital camera, LCD screen, impact printer and USB flash drive (though I may be wrong about some of these).
Is there any kind of checklist that I can look through making sure I know every thing that needs to be known?

Reply 39
Original post by Farid Jalil
Is there any kind of checklist that I can look through making sure I know every thing that needs to be known?p

Make sure you're happy with the specification section 3.2

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2510-W-SP.PDF

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending