The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Minerva
Pooled and fished by the same college are counted within the direct offers.

I have a question about my interviews (I had two interviews at Fitzwilliam for German and Spanish).

The first was an "academic" one and was as I expected.

The second "general" one was quite odd in that the vast majority was about Economics/Law... I know it's a general interview, but is this not a bit weird? :tongue:

It was a very interesting discussion, but to begin with I wasn't sure what to give as answers, as I couldn't think of MML-related responses to Economics questions :laugh:.

Once I realised it was an "economics interview" it was all good though - at the end he asked me if I had any questions and I was on the verge of asking "what just happened?"
Hmm, that's a strange-sounding interview. Maybe they were just trying to see a different side of you. Or testing your ability to think on your feet, based on the pretty certain knowledge that you wouldn't have prepared for an Economics interview!
Reply 5102
Original post by The Polymath
I have a question about my interviews (I had two interviews at Fitzwilliam for German and Spanish).

The first was an "academic" one and was as I expected.

The second "general" one was quite odd in that the vast majority was about Economics/Law... I know it's a general interview, but is this not a bit weird? :tongue:

It was a very interesting discussion, but to begin with I wasn't sure what to give as answers, as I couldn't think of MML-related responses to Economics questions :laugh:.

Once I realised it was an "economics interview" it was all good though - at the end he asked me if I had any questions and I was on the verge of asking "what just happened?"

Original post by Littlefoot
Hmm, that's a strange-sounding interview. Maybe they were just trying to see a different side of you. Or testing your ability to think on your feet, based on the pretty certain knowledge that you wouldn't have prepared for an Economics interview!
I can't improve on that hypothesis :smile:

Original post by Minerva
I can't improve on that hypothesis :smile:

I did take Economics A-level and mention an interest in German political thought, but this was literally like a typical Oxbridge Economics interview:
- He gave me a basic scenario, asked a question, added more conditions, more complicated questions and so on.
- If I got stuck he'd discuss the thought process a little, give me a hint or two, and then leave me to come to conclusions myself
- It all built up to a final problem where he said "can you see a solution?". I thought for 10-20 seconds, then said "no, it seems impossible" and he agreed, saying "there's no solution we can think of, that's the problem".

About as stereotypical as you can get for an Oxbridge interview :tongue:
Reply 5104
I did take Economics A-level and mention an interest in German political thought, but this was literally like a typical Oxbridge Economics interview:
- He gave me a basic scenario, asked a question, added more conditions, more complicated questions and so on.
- If I got stuck he'd discuss the thought process a little, give me a hint or two, and then leave me to come to conclusions myself
- It all built up to a final problem where he said "can you see a solution?". I thought for 10-20 seconds, then said "no, it seems impossible" and he agreed, saying "there's no solution we can think of, that's the problem".

About as stereotypical as you can get for an Oxbridge interview :tongue:
Certainly sounds like it :smile:
Original post by Minerva
Certainly sounds like it :smile:

Compared to my last MML interview where they were like "how does this phrase relate to magical realism?" it went a lot better :tongue:
Compared to my last MML interview where they were like "how does this phrase relate to magical realism?" it went a lot better :tongue:

May be you will end up with an offer to read Economics. :wink:
Original post by Dumb Economist
May be you will end up with an offer to read Economics. :wink:

Maybe... :tongue: (Would such a thing even be allowed, out of interest?)

Original post by Minerva
x
Reply 5108
I rather doubt it :tongue:
I think at this stage I'm so fed up with the whole process that I would take an offer to read absolutely anything.
Reply 5110
I think at this stage I'm so fed up with the whole process that I would take an offer to read absolutely anything.

I wanna read History and become the next 'Borat'
Original post by honggau
Damn my sister called them and they told her the same and even said the letters were sent first class but on Sat I checked, there was still no mail.
Seems like they have sent all of the letters. I doubt that they fish many people. But yeah, the wait will soon be over, probably end on Monday. How ironic it is to wait more than a week just for a rejection letter.

:yep: I was told the same thing. Given the pool letters reached us the very next day there's a very, very small part of me hoping that Royal Mail was being speedy and I've dodged the (Saturday) John's rejection letter and another college is still considering me.

I know what you mean, this must have been one of the longest weeks of my life - hopefully it'll be all over tomorrow :top: :rip: :hide:

(I re-iterate a very, very small part)
(edited 11 years ago)

Original post by Minerva
I rather doubt it :tongue:

Well you say that, but I know that Polymath is rather interested in Economics (to the point where he would like to spend some time on it at uni) and I suspect the fellow who interviewed him was Econ, there is a tiny-weeny chance he might just get an Econ offer given that UCAS does allow unis to give offers for subjects other than the one applied for :tongue:
Reply 5113
Original post by ukdragon37
Well you say that, but I know that Polymath is rather interested in Economics (to the point where he would like to spend some time on it at uni) and I suspect the fellow who interviewed him was Econ, there is a tiny-weeny chance he might just get an Econ offer given that UCAS does allow unis to give offers for subjects other than the one applied for :tongue:
Yes, in principle that's true. I just suspect that at Cambridge the 'rules' are such that tutors would be discouraged from doing so - and in any case, why would Polymath have been interviewed by other than MML people, who can't have any jurisdiction over the allocation of Economics places?? Also, for a competitive course like that, the Economics admissions tutors would need all their offers for their own applicants, with no need or wish to take on other people's.
(edited 11 years ago)
Right so it's officially the 14th... lets see what happens by the end of the day :/
Reply 5115
Original post by EyesBegoniaSkies
Right so it's officially the 14th... lets see what happens by the end of the day :/
Indeed :smile:

I'm not publishing an update this morning as there has been very little change since yesterday. As I have a big piece of work to complete by Thursday I probably won't get another update done before then, but I'll be around from time to time.

I'm :crossedf: for everyone that they get an answer sooner rather than later, either way, so that those who need to can re-focus and move on.
Original post by ukdragon37

I've heard of Oxford making offers in other, less oversubscribed, courses (eg theology to someone who applied for a more popular humanities course). They ring to ask whether you would accept the change.
On my way to a pool interview at St Catharine's for History. I got the call three days ago when I was skiing, and my legs shook so much afterwards that I took four enormous tumbles on the way to the bottom of the slope!
Reply 5118
Anyone know if Trinity is quick in getting back to you after reinterviews?? Or better, anyone heard anything from Trinity recently?
Original post by Minerva
Indeed :smile:

I'm not publishing an update this morning as there has been very little change since yesterday. As I have a big piece of work to complete by Thursday I probably won't get another update done before then, but I'll be around from time to time.

I'm :crossedf: for everyone that they get an answer sooner rather than later, either way, so that those who need to can re-focus and move on.

You might want to add me to the list- Vet med applicant pooled by Clare and still swimming.

Latest

Trending

Trending