The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths - Modular and Linear or just Modular?

Hey guys,

So our scool does Modular Exams for Maths; the entire course is split into 3 Units and I have already completed 2. I am currently sitting on a low A and to improve this, my teacher is suggested I complete Unit 3 as well as doing the Linear course which consists of 2 exams and this will help me pull up my grade to a solid A. So I will have to do 3 exams insted of just 1 and that also means learning everything from year 10 all over again. Not to mention the exam is goin to take place during June/ July sometime. I am really not sure what I am going to do :frown:

Anyone been in this situation before? Any advice? I really appriciate the help xxx
Reply 1
My school did this with the whole year. Already I find some of the topics slightly more difficult, but when looking at past papers with linear they seem much easier and the boundaries tend to be far much lower.
Reply 2
Original post by Beat
My school did this with the whole year. Already I find some of the topics slightly more difficult, but when looking at past papers with linear they seem much easier and the boundaries tend to be far much lower.

Yeah, I heard that linear is slightly easier than Modular and my teacher is really supportive and does after-school classes all the time. If I do end up doing both, I will have to do 13 exams in a matter of a week or two :s-smilie:
OMG I am soooo confused >_<
But thank you x
Reply 3
Depends why you are on the low A.

If you got a high A on one exam and a low B on another, then resit the B. doing the linear would be stupid in my opinion, so resist all the way!

If you are aiming for an A, then just make sure you do we'll in the next exam, an A is an A, when you're done, nobody cares if it is high or low.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Dilski
Depends why you are on the low A.

If you got a high A on one exam and a low B on another, then resit the B. doing the linear would be stupid in my opinion, so resist all the way!

If you are aiming for an A, then just make sure you do we'll in the next exam, an A is an A, when you're done, nobody cares if it is high or low.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did re-sit the exam I got a B in. First I was 5 marks away from an A... And then after the re-take i was 2 marks away :s-smilie: so that kinda took the piss but those extra 3 marks landed me an A overall which is good. And I told my teacher that I won't be doing both cus it's not like I'm taking it for A-Levels.
Thank you for you opinion and help :biggrin:
I did modular and failed really badly. Did linear the next year and got a B :tongue: admittedly I did have a good teacher for linear and a bad one for modular, but I found the linear papers so much easier anyway. I would go with linear any day!
Reply 6
Original post by ktlaurenroe
I did modular and failed really badly. Did linear the next year and got a B :tongue: admittedly I did have a good teacher for linear and a bad one for modular, but I found the linear papers so much easier anyway. I would go with linear any day!

Yeah but I would have to do both the linear papers as well as the Unit 3 Modular paper. And for linear I would have to learn everything from YR10 and 11 all over again. Plus I'll be haveing exam for all the other subjects I do aswell :s-smilie: but thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Linear is much much easier to get a good grade, when I sat linear last year 162/200 was A* which is amazing
Reply 8
At first, in my school, we all had to do modular. We did the first 2 exams, in which I got an A and a B, they then decided to do linear, so I never finished the modular. I did the November exam and got an A, then took it in January with a different exam board and got an A*.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
I prefer modular, as everything is broken up into chunks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending