The Student Room Group

Official AQA GCSE Biology Unit 2 22nd Janurary NEW SPEC

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tohaaaa
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear the mark schemes are written after the paper has been sat :smile:

are you on about the grade boundaries because they get all the marks in and look at the percentages and make the grade boundaries they also look at how accurate they made the question
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 361
Original post by ThatGirlx
Nope, they are out already for the examiners

Oh..... Must have been thinking of the grade boundaries
Derp..... :s-smilie:
Reply 362
Original post by ThatGirlx
Yeah same!
Erm for the how to make enzymes I wrote something like this:

The DNA contains amino acids. The ribosomes put the amino acids in a specific order to make an protein which in this case is an enzyme..

Even though that doesn't seem like a lot for 3marks, I obviously expanded it slightly! But, that was simply all you had to write...

No, you had to talk about the mitochondria. I wrote that protein synthesis occurs in the ribosomes. From their, energy is needed from mitochondria for this to be done. Proteins are created when amino acids fold over eachother, which needs energy
Reply 363
Original post by tohaaaa
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear the mark schemes are written after the paper has been sat :smile:

I reckon that guy was lying
I think the grade boundaries will be :

a*- 43
a-37
b-30
c-25
Reply 365
Original post by tohaaaa

No... The grade boundaries are set after all the paper have been marked.. mark scheme is already written :smile:
Reply 366
for the validity one, i wrote use a quadrat, do a random sample, and control the test by using the same quadrat.
Reply 367
Does anyone have the actual paper? Either in PDF or Scanned Format?
Original post by Arshii
Yay!.. I think I covered most of the things there! Also, for the question where it said how the oxygen moves to the mitochondria.. Is it something along the lines of diffusion.. high concentration to low concentration allowing the oxygen move into the cell? :smile:

Yeah :smile: High Oxygen (Blood through the Cell Membrane) ---> Low Concentration, because diffusion works along a concentration gradient. The diffusion happens through random movement, but there is a net overall movement from High to Low Concentration...Also not sure if'd you get a mark for this (I think it was a 3 marker? ) but the concentration gradient is maintained because respiration is constantly occurring so O2 is converted into CO2 and the blood always supplies more oxygen and carries away excess CO2. So there is always high O2 in blood supply and low O2 in mitochondria (within the cell) Im not very good at making my answers concise, but i'll get the marks (hopefully) :rolleyes:
Reply 369
i think it will be 42 MAX for an A*, don't forget some people are not as intellectual as others. (I thought it was hard, although i did finish the paper i didn't spend enough time on some questions :frown: )
Original post by lolface32
No, you had to talk about the mitochondria. I wrote that protein synthesis occurs in the ribosomes. From their, energy is needed from mitochondria for this to be done. Proteins are created when amino acids fold over eachother, which needs energy

Did the question ask about the mitochondria?
I thought it said how do the ribosomes make enzymes...
Reply 371
and what about the advantage of using skin cells? i wrote it does not raise any ethical, immoral and religious concerns
Reply 372
Original post by popburrow
for the validity one, i wrote use a quadrat, do a random sample, and control the test by using the same quadrat.

That seems right-ish but I didn't mention use the same quadrat as that's just common sense. Also, you didn't mention do a percentage cover/count.
Reply 373
Original post by shibucool
I'm pretty sure it's been over 10 minutes!

Although hes not replying, so maybe hes actually uploading iy
where is this photo this persons supposed to put up
Reply 375
Original post by popburrow
and what about the advantage of using skin cells? i wrote it does not raise any ethical, immoral and religious concerns

I put because the skin cell belongs to an adult there's a less chance of it mutating into a diseased cell. I doubt I'd get the mark though.
Reply 376
Original post by MajorRisk
Yeah :smile: High Oxygen (Blood through the Cell Membrane) ---> Low Concentration, because diffusion works along a concentration gradient. The diffusion happens through random movement, but there is a net overall movement from High to Low Concentration...Also not sure if'd you get a mark for this (I think it was a 3 marker? ) but the concentration gradient is maintained because respiration is constantly occurring so O2 is converted into CO2 and the blood always supplies more oxygen and carries away excess CO2. So there is always high O2 in blood supply and low O2 in mitochondria (within the cell) Im not very good at making my answers concise, but i'll get the marks (hopefully) :rolleyes:

I put:

"The oxygen moves into Part A via diffusion, this is due to there being a lower concentration of oxygen in the cell and a higher concentration of oxygen in the blood, this means the oxygen molecules will move down the concentration gradient across a partially permeable membrane into the mitochondria"

How many marks would that get>
Reply 377
Original post by Hilton184
Not sure, as it was only a 2 mark question (i think) then i guess you will get a mark for stating an enzyme that is used in industry + what it does (isomerase - turns glucose syrup into fructose syrup) and then the other mark for giving its use (slimming foods because fructose syrup is sweeter than glucose syrup)

Yes, I agree with you. I can't remember if it was a 2 or 3 mark question, but I just thought that, because Fructose is only used BECAUSE it can be used in smaller amounts, which is why it's healthier and therefore, it's used in slimming foods, was a key point in the answer.

I'm not sure!
Reply 378
Original post by iwant
i completely understand why u wrote that, if that where true; then wouldn't all of the kids inherit the disease?, I think that only one of the parents had the dominant allele whilst the other had two recessive alleles which caused them to get the disease.

Does anyone know if you don't annotate your punnet square how many marks you will drop (if any)??

It wil be 1 or 2 i think. You get 1 for getting the Dd, Dd, dd, dd right, 1 mark for naming the parents, 1 i think for the annotation and not sure on the other
Reply 379
Original post by tohaaaa
I put:

"The oxygen moves into Part A via diffusion, this is due to there being a lower concentration of oxygen in the cell and a higher concentration of oxygen in the blood, this means the oxygen molecules will move down the concentration gradient across a partially permeable membrane into the mitochondria"

How many marks would that get>

2 maybe 3. I think you needed to mention how blood was transported around the body though for the third, not entirely sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending