The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I want to do a degree in economics or something related and I am not sure what is best for me. I am looking at Warwick, LSE etc. * = undecided

At the moment I am thinking of
HL Maths
HL Economics
*HL Psychology/Law

SL English
Abi Inito Italian
*SL Psychology/Biology/Law

i find Law interesting and enjoyable but I'm not sure if universities value it. I also like psychology interesting but I'm not sure if it is valued. I am not too keen on biology however would that be best for uni. Thank youThank you
Original post by kdevitto
I want to do a degree in economics or something related and I am not sure what is best for me. I am looking at Warwick, LSE etc. * = undecided

At the moment I am thinking of
HL Maths
HL Economics
*HL Psychology/Law

SL English
Abi Inito Italian
*SL Psychology/Biology/Law

i find Law interesting and enjoyable but I'm not sure if universities value it. I also like psychology interesting but I'm not sure if it is valued. I am not too keen on biology however would that be best for uni. Thank youThank you

LSE specifically says that 'Law' is one of its non-preferred subjects. So I would take it at SL if at all. Personally, I would advise you to take Psychology/Biology HL/SL as you see fit, I think that would put you in the best steed for a future app to LSE.

I would also look into Further Maths HL, see if your school offers it.

Best of luck!
Arrowhead.
Reply 1022
Hey,
I would like to study architecture and this is what I think my palette will look like:

English A1 SL
German A1 SL
ESS SL
Physics HL
Math HL
Visual Arts HL

That would be a bilingual diploma. From experience I think I'd be able to pull off both German and English at ease, even at HL. So that shouldn't be a problem. What's more, if I want to study in Germany German would ofc be helpful. BUT at the same time it's kinda standard over there to know 2 foreign languages, and I only know German and English...I could learn Spanish ab initio because I have a bit of Portuguese in me. I would like to as well. But I have to make a choice here:what's more preferable? And what is so great about the bilingual diploma anyway?

Ideally, I would have loved to do Design Technology. Our IB coordinator told me that they sometimes make exeptions and allow you to take another Group 4 and no Group 3 at all(thus replacing ESS in my choice, which is more of a filler anyway). But I'm shifting to Mumbai, and there is only one school that offers it. And, no German there. It would be a gamble, as I dont know if Ècole Mondiale is one of those Indian schools that are on an egotrip and push their students to the limit.

Finally, I'm scared of Math HL. I find math interesting but I'm not much above average when it comes to grades. I'm got 70-80% throughout school. The switch from MYP to IGSCE in class 9 was a minor trauma for me in maths. I have the feeling I'll need HL to get into architecture smoothly, and that it will help me a great deal. But is it really that necessary? Isnt a good SL grade better than a bad HL one? I'd much rather work hard for English A1 at HL and focus more on art...

Having said all that, I'm quite confused :P I hope the workload will be manageable, please help me out!
Reply 1023
Hi, I'd also like to study engineering in the future; however, I'm split on what to choose for my HL subject. I say "subject" because everybody is required to HL English and history where I live, so I'm left to select another HL option. I really want to HL Mathematics because I love math, and have done exceptionally well in the past. On the other hand, physics also deeply interests me. So, I'm wondering if it would be feasible to HL all four core subjects. My school does permit it, but I'm still questioning whether I would be setting myself up for failure.

(Leaving my SLs as economics and french).

I would appreciate any guidance!:biggrin:
Original post by Ladeith
Hi, I'd also like to study engineering in the future; however, I'm split on what to choose for my HL subject. I say "subject" because everybody is required to HL English and history where I live, so I'm left to select another HL option. I really want to HL Mathematics because I love math, and have done exceptionally well in the past. On the other hand, physics also deeply interests me. So, I'm wondering if it would be feasible to HL all four core subjects. My school does permit it, but I'm still questioning whether I would be setting myself up for failure.

(Leaving my SLs as economics and french).

I would appreciate any guidance!:biggrin:

I really think you should... Many universities will actually not accept you without higher Maths and Physics for engineering, so that's a must. Can you not drop History or English to SL under any circumstances?
Reply 1025
Original post by Achilleasrn
I really think you should... Many universities will actually not accept you without higher Maths and Physics for engineering, so that's a must. Can you not drop History or English to SL under any circumstances?

Unfortunately not, my school doesn't offer English or History at SL.:s-smilie:
So it would obviously be a lot of work, and I really do think I'm capable of doing it. However, all I hear about physics and math HL is that they're absolutely brutal... is this just an overstatement or is it really that difficult?
Original post by Ladeith
Unfortunately not, my school doesn't offer English or History at SL.:s-smilie:
So it would obviously be a lot of work, and I really do think I'm capable of doing it. However, all I hear about physics and math HL is that they're absolutely brutal... is this just an overstatement or is it really that difficult?

Well, you could easily attend HL English and History classes but sit the SL exam. As far as History is concerned, the HL and SL syllabus for Papers 1 and 2 is exactly the same. The difference is the extra module that HL students study for Paper 3. For English, again the requirements are exactly the same (and with the new syllabus, the 2 World Lit papers that HLs had to write is reduced to one as well), the main difference is the level of analysis and commentary expected from you as an SL student is somewhat lesser than an HL one. Basically a solid SL English mark of 6, would probably be a mid-to-low 5 by HL standards. So I would suggest you negotiate with your school and tell them that you'd rather take English or History at HL. You're happy to attend the HL classes for the school years and do the required class work, but your coursework would stay SL and the exams as well.

If this is unconventional at your school, then I suggest making this request for SL History because the coursework for SL and HL History is the same (the 2,000-word Research Paper) and in fact being marked by HL standards will only benefit you. You can do the Paper 3 module for class and school work, but skip it for IB exam revision. This is actually very common. At my old school, all the SL and HL History classes were combined for the 1st year of the IB and about a quarter of the 2nd year, then the SLs would attend HL material-classes for schoolwork alone, but not revise any of that for the IB exams.

It was also similar with Economics where the SL students would be combined with HL ones and do all the HL coursework, even if it didn't come in their syllabus, because it made them stronger students in the exam.

For Engineering, you should definitely have HL Maths and Physics, even more so if these are the subjects that interest. It's quite arbitrary for your school to disallow you in such a manner.

If things don't work out your way, take all 4 at HL. It's not as bad as some of the people on TSR make it out to be. A friend of mine, who was no extraordinary student I should add, who loved the Sciences deeply, did Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology HL in the IB alongside 3 SLs (a 7-subject load), and he managed to get some really good scores and is now doing Medicine. It's not hard if you like the subjects and it this is what you want to study.

Best of luck!
Hello :smile: I am in desperate need of some advice:
I am completely torn between humanities and sciences. I love both. I always thought I'd go into humanities but I'm loving the sciences at IGCSE level.
I thought I'd take Biology and Chemistry HL to keep my options in the sciences open, but I find chemistry quite hard and wouldn't want it to bring down my score (I'll be aiming for around 38-40). Is chem HL a lot harder than it is at gcse/igcse? For my third HL, I don't know whether to do English Lit or French. I really enjoy both.
It also doesn't help that I have the option of doing a levels and keep changing my mind about whether I want to do IB or A levels. Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Neverme
Hello :smile: I am in desperate need of some advice:
I am completely torn between humanities and sciences. I love both. I always thought I'd go into humanities but I'm loving the sciences at IGCSE level.
I thought I'd take Biology and Chemistry HL to keep my options in the sciences open, but I find chemistry quite hard and wouldn't want it to bring down my score (I'll be aiming for around 38-40). Is chem HL a lot harder than it is at gcse/igcse? For my third HL, I don't know whether to do English Lit or French. I really enjoy both.
It also doesn't help that I have the option of doing a levels and keep changing my mind about whether I want to do IB or A levels. Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

All subjects are much harder at IB than school, but Chemistry is supposedly a huge jump, many who take it find it very difficult. If your interested in it, why not ask if you can give it a god for the first 1/2 term or so, and then change to a different HL if not?
Original post by Neverme
Is chem HL a lot harder than it is at gcse/igcse?

Yes, it is definitely lightyears harder, there is no comparison. I know people who had A*s in IGCSE/GCSE Sciences and struggled to get 4s and 5s in their IB HL versions. I'd keep Chem at SL in that regard, especially if you already find it hard at IGCSE.

Original post by Neverme

My personal opinion has always been that people who know, with a lot of certainty, what they would like read at university, should always do A-Levels. It gets them to their universities and course of choice with a little less hassle and they don't have to deal with subjects they're uninterested in.

But if you don't know/are unsure and need more time to decide where'd you like to be at University, IB is always a better option. It exposes you to a wider range of reading and academia, you might find something you never even knew you would have liked (certainly how I felt about Economics when I did the IB).
Original post by CLS94
All subjects are much harder at IB than school, but Chemistry is supposedly a huge jump, many who take it find it very difficult. If your interested in it, why not ask if you can give it a god for the first 1/2 term or so, and then change to a different HL if not?

Yes, I think that's what I'll do :smile:
Original post by arrowhead
Yes, it is definitely lightyears harder, there is no comparison. I know people who had A*s in IGCSE/GCSE Sciences and struggled to get 4s and 5s in their IB HL versions. I'd keep Chem at SL in that regard, especially if you already find it hard at IGCSE.

My personal opinion has always been that people who know, with a lot of certainty, what they would like read at university, should always do A-Levels. It gets them to their universities and course of choice with a little less hassle and they don't have to deal with subjects they're uninterested in.

But if you don't know/are unsure and need more time to decide where'd you like to be at University, IB is always a better option. It exposes you to a wider range of reading and academia, you might find something you never even knew you would have liked (certainly how I felt about Economics when I did the IB).

I thought this too, until I realised that at A levels I'd be able to do four subjects to a higher level, instead of just 3 at IB :/
Original post by Neverme
Yes, I think that's what I'll do :smile:

I thought this too, until I realised that at A levels I'd be able to do four subjects to a higher level, instead of just 3 at IB :/

A levels are not exactly equivalent to HLs, some A levels are easier to get an A star in than HLs. I heard globally 3% of people who do HL History get a 7, for instance.

You also have to consider IB is more of a course than A levels - they give you a set of skills that you keep for life, and as a result, IB students find it easier at uni.

I'm thinking NatSci at uni, or perhaps Chemical Engineering.

Would this combination work?
HL Chemistry
HL Physics
HL Maths
SL Geography
SL English Lit
ab initio Mandarin (already speak some, can't write/read though)
Reply 1032
Original post by tashaaaness
Hey! :smile:

Okay so I basically need some help.

I'm planning to pursue either vet med/med/pharmacy (but more likely pharmacy) and I picked these IB subjects:

HL
Maths
Biology
Chemistry

SL
Spanish ab initio
English A1
History

BUT, I recently got my IGCSE results - I only got an A (ie not A*) for Maths and a really horrible grade for Additional Maths :p: and my school is now recommending that I drop Maths HL and take up either English or History.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is it advisable to drop Maths HL despite wanting to pursue the sciences at university? Will this make me a little bit more disadvantaged than other applicants applying for the same courses? I know Maths HL is not required as I've got both Biology and Chem at HL but.. is it preferred?

I COULD try my best for Maths HL - that is, work my butt off for it but I'd just like to hear everybody's opinion on whether it's worth it, and whether I even need it! :smile:

2. Also, IF I do drop Maths HL, which HL should I take up, English A1 or History? I love both equally, and scored A*s for English First Language, English Literature and History at IGCSE and I'm pretty much torn between the two. So I WOULD like to pick the one I love - but I love both so uhhh, yeah I kinda need help :p:.

Can anyone out there tell me which HL they felt was better for them & why, whether the workload will be too much if I were to take one instead of the other..etc?

It'd be much appreciated, thanks! :smile:

Don't leave Maths HL! I got an A in IGCSE too and I am doing IB Maths HL and I am predicted a 6 ! Basically an A in IGCSE Maths is equivalent to A* in GCSE !! Universities know that, that's why we IGCSE students get offer's more easily then GCSE students !! Don't take English A1 HL unless u have a passion for literature, as for my school people in HL Have to study independently I am not aware of what your school does !!
Reply 1033
Ok, Ill give this another try..
I want to study architecture/art and if I want to go to one of those more prestigious universities abroad then I'd have to get a scholarship. I'm not very good at math, and I'd rather focus on Visual Arts and do English at HL instead. So, considering what I want to do in the future, is Math at SL sufficient? Currently my subject choice looks like this:

English A1 HL
German A1 SL
History SL
Physics HL
Math SL
Vis. Arts HL
Original post by SiWafer
Ok, Ill give this another try..
I want to study architecture/art and if I want to go to one of those more prestigious universities abroad then I'd have to get a scholarship. I'm not very good at math, and I'd rather focus on Visual Arts and do English at HL instead. So, considering what I want to do in the future, is Math at SL sufficient? Currently my subject choice looks like this:

English A1 HL
German A1 SL
History SL
Physics HL
Math SL
Vis. Arts HL

If you're not good with Math, then why take Physics HL? And Math SL isn't easy either. People with A or A* IGCSE are struggling for a 6 in my Math SL class. If you want scholarship, you'll need really good IB score, so I suggest you take Biology HL since it's way easier than Physics.
As in my country, History is necessary to get to any uni for Law, which has been my dream for many years, I was wondering if I manage to get a good mark from History hl on ib course, as I'm not actually into history and my knowledge is not impressing. I just study before the test, get a really good mark and then forget. If I studied a lot, repeated everything during ib, would I be able to get at least 5? I know that's really difficult to say, but generally, as you think? What is your opinion? I have a good memory, but I need to remind some things constantly in order to remember. Sorry for my mistakes, I've been learning Engish only for a few years. Should I try or if History is not 'my subject' I shouldn't?
Reply 1036
I am not sure if I want to take 4 higher levels....but I don't know which one to drop!

Econ HL
Physics HL
Eng Lit HL
Japanese B HL

Philosophy SL
Maths SL

I want to purse Economics in university. I have a partly Japanese background, and I'm semi fluent in Japanese, so B standard will be too easy. I enjoy English Lit and Physics a lot.
I will generally apply to the US.
I am pretty strong in maths, I got A* in IGCSE a year early.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey! I have no clue what I want to do in life, and have to give in my form soon.. I like the sciences, arts and philosophy/religion, (is there a good job that combines science and art?? :s-smilie:)

I haven't done history before (did geography but cannot go through another 2 years of that!) Also, I have only done dual award science (though I am getting full UMS on that) so do these subjects sound alright?

SL
English
Spanish
History

HL
Maths
Physics
Art

I consider myself pretty hermit-y atm haha, but my art teacher said that I'll soon want to go partying and have boyfriends etc, which you apparently can't do with IB.. I think he underestimates my hermit-ness haha but still, is it really that hard?! :s-smilie:
Reply 1038
Original post by AnnieeBubble
Hey! I have no clue what I want to do in life, and have to give in my form soon.. I like the sciences, arts and philosophy/religion, (is there a good job that combines science and art?? :s-smilie:)

I haven't done history before (did geography but cannot go through another 2 years of that!) Also, I have only done dual award science (though I am getting full UMS on that) so do these subjects sound alright?

SL
English
Spanish
History

HL
Maths
Physics
Art

I consider myself pretty hermit-y atm haha, but my art teacher said that I'll soon want to go partying and have boyfriends etc, which you apparently can't do with IB.. I think he underestimates my hermit-ness haha but still, is it really that hard?! :s-smilie:

Hey, first of all, the basic rule with the ib is that you work hard and play hard to compensate, it is tough and publicly acknowledged to be harder than A levels but the offers are waay lower for ib people than a level applicants at uni. As your subjects go they sound great, there are a couple of tips I would give you though. If you don't know what you are planning to do when u leave 6th form, don't even think about doing HL maths, our school is the top IB state school but this year 70% of the HL maths cohort dropped out and nobody is on track for anything higher than a 5/6. Unless you are a mathematical genius to the point of lunacy, I would really advise you don't go down that route. SL maths is more like maths A level and studies is a bit less than an AS in difficulty. The same goes for HL physics, it's impossible to get those high marks unless you are an absolute pro, which you may well be given your ums scores for which you deserve congratulating by the way! If you could cope with a configuration more like this I think you may find the course much more manageable:

SL
History (HL would be impossible without the background knowledge)
Physics
Maths (maybe studies unless u wanna do medicine or physics or maths at uni)

HL
Art
Spanish (I don't know how good you are but you will come out pretty much fluent)
English (easy peasy if you have the English knack)

An alternative would be swapping philosophy for your history because that's fairly easy to catch onto.

Seriously the difficulty of the IB is so overrated, think of it as A levels without quite so many free periods, you still get the weekends and Friday nights!

As for good jobs that combine science and art, all that springs to mind is a professional art historian who confirms dating of pictures :P

Best of luck!
Original post by 5tribal
Hey, first of all, the basic rule with the ib is that you work hard and play hard to compensate, it is tough and publicly acknowledged to be harder than A levels but the offers are waay lower for ib people than a level applicants at uni. As your subjects go they sound great, there are a couple of tips I would give you though. If you don't know what you are planning to do when u leave 6th form, don't even think about doing HL maths, our school is the top IB state school but this year 70% of the HL maths cohort dropped out and nobody is on track for anything higher than a 5/6. Unless you are a mathematical genius to the point of lunacy, I would really advise you don't go down that route. SL maths is more like maths A level and studies is a bit less than an AS in difficulty. The same goes for HL physics, it's impossible to get those high marks unless you are an absolute pro, which you may well be given your ums scores for which you deserve congratulating by the way! If you could cope with a configuration more like this I think you may find the course much more manageable:

SL
History (HL would be impossible without the background knowledge)
Physics
Maths (maybe studies unless u wanna do medicine or physics or maths at uni)

HL
Art
Spanish (I don't know how good you are but you will come out pretty much fluent)
English (easy peasy if you have the English knack)

An alternative would be swapping philosophy for your history because that's fairly easy to catch onto.

Seriously the difficulty of the IB is so overrated, think of it as A levels without quite so many free periods, you still get the weekends and Friday nights!

As for good jobs that combine science and art, all that springs to mind is a professional art historian who confirms dating of pictures :P

Best of luck!

Aw thanks! That's a really great reply! :biggrin: Well I'm fairly good at maths, and if I were doing A-Level I would probably do Further Maths... Though I'm certainly no 'maths lunacy' as you say haha, and I've heard HL maths is ridiculously hard, but we have fairly good teachers and I'll probably want to do something science-y/maths-y in the future.. (Plus, gotta keep up with all the developing world braniac kids! :P)

Unfortunately our school doesn't offer philosophy, but your suggestions sound so much.. more lovely and cosy! :') Hmmm, I'll consider it :wink:

Ah good, glad to hear I won't turn into a robot! :biggrin: Thank you muchly!

Latest

Trending

Trending