The Student Room Group

"stop raping white girls" graffiti found next to a mosque

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by The_Last_Melon
you do know there are white muslims right?

And of course the tiny minority exception to the rule in validates all arguments right? Typical lefty.
Original post by STBUR
And of course the tiny minority exception to the rule in validates all arguments right? Typical lefty.

I was simply highlighting his/her error in associating Muslim with "non-white".

Also I'm further right that you can imagine.
Reply 22
Original post by Barksy
Someone has to put Muslims in their place.

Please do tell me what their place exactly is. :colonhash:
Reply 23
Original post by Barksy
Someone has to put Muslims in their place.

And vandalism is the way to do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
I'm sure rape is as prevalent within Muslim communities as it is in "white communities" or any other community for that matter. Humans, whatever their religion or beliefs, are often cruel and rape is certainly not an incident that can be attributed to a certain subset of the population. Statistics concerning rape isn't exactly convincing when you consider how hard it is to gather factual data, rape often needs to be reported and in communities where family is important this can often be discouraged.

Out of all the ways to promote a message, graffiti such as this, is a very poor way to encourage healthy discussion.
Let's hope they take the advice.
Reply 26
Original post by Sulphur
I'm sure rape is as prevalent within Muslim communities as it is in "white communities" or any other community for that matter. Humans, whatever their religion or beliefs, are often cruel and rape is certainly not an incident that can be attributed to a certain subset of the population. Statistics concerning rape isn't exactly convincing when you consider how hard it is to gather factual data, rape often needs to be reported and in communities where family is important this can often be discouraged.

Out of all the ways to promote a message, graffiti such as this, is a very poor way to encourage healthy discussion.

If the Ministry of Justice published statistics about the ethnicity and nationality of convicted rapists would that constitute convincing evidence?

Your second point is relevant, and you would expect ethnic communities to have fewer rape convictions, but that is simply not the case. In my experience, most people convicted of rape and human trafficking (ie might involve kidnapping and forced prostitution) are from ethnic backgrounds, or from outside of the UK altogether.
Reply 27
Original post by evantej
If the Ministry of Justice published statistics about the ethnicity and nationality of convicted rapists would that constitute convincing evidence?

Your second point is relevant, and you would expect ethnic communities to have fewer rape convictions, but that is simply not the case. In my experience, most people convicted of rape and human trafficking (ie might involve kidnapping and forced prostitution) are from ethnic backgrounds, or from outside of the UK altogether.

I can't comment on statistics of the MoJ as I haven't seen any. Would these statistics also correlate nationality/ethnicity of attacker with that of the victim?

I think there is a point to be made that rape might be more prevalent within certain ethnic communities, for various reasons. This fact itself is rather uninteresting unless you consider why we have a disparity; I would argue that the cause might be explained through understanding societal values and mindsets of said communities.

My point wasn't that there definitely isn't any difference in the statistics but rather that its difficult to take statistics as facts in these circumstances. For example, there could be many reasons as to why one subset is found more likely to be involved in rape e.g. are Caucasian woman more likely to report rape from a man of another ethnic background? Are the police more likely to discourage a woman from officially reporting a rape if performed by a Caucasian man?
Reply 28
Original post by ed-
But of course that's due to institutionalised racism in the justice system not because they commit more crimes :wink:

/sarcasm

And you're applying to study law...that's worrying.
Reply 29
Original post by Azarimanka
Yes of course. My argument is that the 'muslim-pigs' associated with the rapes however generally come from non-white cultures (ie Pakistani) where there is a different value system attached to women.

Have you read the LADBible? It's really not a different value system - misogyny is a global issue, as seen by the fact that rape and domestic violence is present in every culture, country, age group and socioeconomic group.
That's disgusting!
Uneducated *****.
It's not only Muslims that rape girls.
Reply 31
Original post by piya21
And you're applying to study law...that's worrying.

And you study languages and can't elaborate on that? Likewise.
Reply 32
how shocking statement tells the truth
Reply 33
:frown:
Reply 34
Lol, it's funny how the far left are insistent that this country is not too PC. My mum works among those of senior authority in the metropolitan police, and one example of overtly PC tendencies was the London riots. Many, many policeman professed to being hesitant to arrest young black rioters for fear of being called racist.

With regards to the graffiti, it is wrong to debase anyone's property, and those responsible should be reprimanded. However, to say it is racist is exactly what I mean when I say this country is ridiculously PC.
Reply 35
Original post by Sulphur
I can't comment on statistics of the MoJ as I haven't seen any. Would these statistics also correlate nationality/ethnicity of attacker with that of the victim?

I think there is a point to be made that rape might be more prevalent within certain ethnic communities, for various reasons. This fact itself is rather uninteresting unless you consider why we have a disparity; I would argue that the cause might be explained through understanding societal values and mindsets of said communities.

My point wasn't that there definitely isn't any difference in the statistics but rather that its difficult to take statistics as facts in these circumstances. For example, there could be many reasons as to why one subset is found more likely to be involved in rape e.g. are Caucasian woman more likely to report rape from a man of another ethnic background? Are the police more likely to discourage a woman from officially reporting a rape if performed by a Caucasian man?

I do not know whether the Ministry of Justice logs the ethnicity and nationality of victims. I am also unsure whether there is ever an explicit connection made between the offender and victim. I suggest not because different law-enforcement jobs are entrusted to different agencies and organisations within the justice umbrella, and it would be of little use to make such connections when you factor in local circumstances. For example, there might be a higher proportion of white victims in urban areas simply because there are more ethnic minorities in urban areas. These commit a disproportionally high amount of crime. But that does not suggest their crime is racially motivated, which I think was your point, and I agree with you.

My perspective comes from the prison service (and a little bit of the probation service). I deal with things as a matter of fact (i.e. your points about the police and the reporting of rape are less relevant to me). If rape is not reported or the person is not prosecuted then it is not rape from a legal perspective, no matter what the weaknesses of the justice system are. I am not suggesting that the points you raise are unimportant, but rather you cannot claim the statistics that do exist are not facts, because they are epistemologically and methodologically sound. This is the sort of dishonest argument put forward by feminist political groups who almost seem to suggest that there are not enough men sentenced for rape, without acknowledging the real legal and pragmatic issues involved.
Reply 36
Original post by evantej
I do not know whether the Ministry of Justice logs the ethnicity and nationality of victims. I am also unsure whether there is ever an explicit connection made between the offender and victim. I suggest not because different law-enforcement jobs are entrusted to different agencies and organisations within the justice umbrella, and it would be of little use to make such connections when you factor in local circumstances. For example, there might be a higher proportion of white victims in urban areas simply because there are more ethnic minorities in urban areas. These commit a disproportionally high amount of crime. But that does not suggest their crime is racially motivated, which I think was your point, and I agree with you.

My perspective comes from the prison service (and a little bit of the probation service). I deal with things as a matter of fact (i.e. your points about the police and the reporting of rape are less relevant to me). If rape is not reported or the person is not prosecuted then it is not rape from a legal perspective, no matter what the weaknesses of the justice system are. I am not suggesting that the points you raise are unimportant, but rather you cannot claim the statistics that do exist are not facts, because they are epistemologically and methodologically sound. This is the sort of dishonest argument put forward by feminist political groups who almost seem to suggest that there are not enough men sentenced for rape, without acknowledging the real legal and pragmatic issues involved.

My aim was not to diminish the value of any statistics gathered by the MoJ or any other agency, I appreciate their importance from an analytical standpoint as well as they bring to a debate. I wouldn't suggest for one minute that they are not be used, simply that as with all statistics they need to be interpreted within context; too often are they used for purposes not intended, to further agendas and the like and that is tantamount to lying in my opinion. In much the same way as disregarding them because of certain factors that might have influenced them. :biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by Snagprophet
Hardly racist, typical our country misusing the wrong words. We'll have newspeak before long, when free thought will be equated to racism, or something nuttier like rape or murder. Bring on the fascism, clearly most of the country wants it unless it's addition to our laws was done undemocratically.

Also, why isn't the stereotype of paedophillic Catholic priests considered racist? At least have some consistency you joke of a country.

Because we pander to the smallest minority possible in an bid to look PC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending