The Student Room Group

Social Anxiety Test

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tooosh
You can. Why do you think you can't do anything?

2-3 years ago I was in the 100s, now below 10. Sort it out!

Yeah but its not that easy for many, some will be able to recover from SA, others will try and get better but not get anywhere and have to put up with it for years.
Reply 21
49:s-smilie::colondollar:
Reply 22
43- thought it would be worse to be honest
Reply 23
61 - good though , I did one a few months ago a got severe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
19. I don't like public speaking and being the centre of attention.
Reply 25
Reply 26
Original post by USRaphael
I have no idea how to sort it out. I've read multiple books about overcoming social anxiety and tried my best to put what I learned into practice but I never improved despite my best efforts. :frown:

The way I did it was forcing myself into social situations. You don't have to jump in headfirst and start dancing on an empty club floor, baby steps are fine. Build it up slowly.

Original post by Olie
Yeah but its not that easy for many, some will be able to recover from SA, others will try and get better but not get anywhere and have to put up with it for years.

Well it wasn't easy for me either, and I don't know whether I should be offended you thought it was tbh... but the problem with social anxiety is that people just don't know how to go about sorting it out or their approach is wrong, not that they can't do it. A very very small minority of sufferers do it properly for years and don't see any improvement. The entire mindset of "put up with it" is bad as it implies it's an entity in itself, implying you have no way of attempting to control it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jft18
I really do have a fear of eating in public, or at least, of people judging me for doing so. Literally, a full on, panic attack inducing fear.

So your fear is of people judging you. Eating in public is just a bi-product of that fear.

But the fear in itself is not eating in public, it's of people judging you. If you can not be worried about people judging you, then you will not think twice about eating in public.

I avoid doing things because I don't like people judging me too, btw :colondollar:.
Reply 28
Original post by Runninground
So your fear is of people judging you. Eating in public is just a bi-product of that fear.

But the fear in itself is not eating in public, it's of people judging you. If you can not be worried about people judging you, then you will not think twice about eating in public.

I avoid doing things because I don't like people judging me too, btw :colondollar:.

That's a rather redundant way of looking at it since the entire point of social anxiety is that you fear what people think of you.
78, rather pleased - thought it would be more, lol. :smile:
I don't get the fear bit? If you have a fear, you will avoid doing something. Do people seriously have a fear of eating in public, or returning goods to a store, or do they simply not want to do it?

I don't like speaking on the phone in public. I avoid it whenever possible. I don't however have a fear of it... I don't get sweaty palms and shaky hands, I just don't like people listening in.

I don't like being the centre of attention. I will avoid it but I don't have a fear of it. If I suddenly became the centre of attention, i'll try to divert it. I'm not going to have a panic attack or run away.

And not a confident person.

I got 38 btw. I left the 'fear' ones as 0 because I don't see how most the them can be a fear...

Fear of judgement and of self-humiliation, I would say.
Reply 31
27... :smile:
We did this in school once as part of PE :s-smilie:
Original post by tooosh
That's a rather redundant way of looking at it since the entire point of social anxiety is that you fear what people think of you.

Then you don't need a test. If you are scared of people judging you, you wont like any of the situations on the test. :confused::tongue:
Reply 35

Fair point, to be honest. Most of my problems have been due to worrying about what other people think.

My entire eating disorder (which in turn takes over my life) is fuelled mostly by panicking about other peoples opinions and need to find control, not a literal fear of food.

I really wish it was less!
Original post by tooosh
You can. Why do you think you can't do anything?

2-3 years ago I was in the 100s, now below 10. Sort it out!

That's amazing, do you mind me asking how you managed to achieve this and overcome it? Anything you would recommend that worked for you?
Reply 38
...120!

Kinda expected that to be honest
I wasn't really sure how to answer some of them, as in I don't actively avoid things but only because the opportunity never arises - e.g. I don't get phone calls in public... possibly because I'm never in public.

Quick Reply

Latest