The Student Room Group

Social Anxiety Test

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tooosh
The way I did it was forcing myself into social situations. You don't have to jump in headfirst and start dancing on an empty club floor, baby steps are fine. Build it up slowly.

Man, I wish. :moon:

I have tried the forcing myself into social situations method and it did not work. All I got out of it was extreme fear; I'm talking shaking, panic attacks, diarrhea, vomiting, crying....I spent 4 years at university pretty much totally alone as I couldn't overcome my social anxiety. I tried so many things and failed every single time.

I really think I need to talk with a professional, it's just money-wise it'll be expensive and I'm not a rich guy. :sad:
60........ Higher than I expected if I'm honest...
Reply 62
Original post by USRaphael
Man, I wish. :moon:

I have tried the forcing myself into social situations method and it did not work. All I got out of it was extreme fear; I'm talking shaking, panic attacks, diarrhea, vomiting, crying....I spent 4 years at university pretty much totally alone as I couldn't overcome my social anxiety. I tried so many things and failed every single time.

I really think I need to talk with a professional, it's just money-wise it'll be expensive and I'm not a rich guy. :sad:

If it's that bad then definitely get help. But most of the advice they'll give you will be similar - just starting with even smaller steps until you get to something you can do. Or start with the things you can already do and work upwards instead of downwards.
You can also get prescription meds if you get help. Are you sure the NHS won't cover it?
87. Severe social anxiety disorder. Brilliant.
Reply 64
does anyone else get physical symptoms of their anxiety? I sweat like a ton and feel really panicked and tense a lot in social situations :s-smilie: my GP and therapist said this was normal so I wondered if anyone else got this as well?
Original post by SciFiRory
does anyone else get physical symptoms of their anxiety? I sweat like a ton and feel really panicked and tense a lot in social situations :s-smilie: my GP and therapist said this was normal so I wondered if anyone else got this as well?

I do. :hugs: It's definitely normal. :yep I was told it's the adrenaline.

I also throw up quite a lot and shake really bad. :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by tasha96
I do. :hugs: It's definitely normal. :yep I was told it's the adrenaline.

I also throw up quite a lot and shake really bad. :smile:

ah okay, glad im not the only one at least :redface: (though that feels bad to say :s-smilie:)

throwing up I normally avoid, but shaking I definitely get, and people have told me I look really tensed up like when you are really scared, it's all quite difficult really, the only things that I find help really are my meds (sometimes but not always :/) and being drunk, the later is definitely not ideal especially if is a social situation where that would be inappropriate!
Hmm, I am sure I have social anxiety but got a score of 41 :confused:, these tests blah. I hate giving speeches to groups etc. or even talking to strangers, I also hate speaking on the phone to people I don't know very well, I actually find the phone to be worse than in person :s-smilie:
ah okay, glad im not the only one at least :redface: (though that feels bad to say :s-smilie:)

throwing up I normally avoid, but shaking I definitely get, and people have told me I look really tensed up like when you are really scared, it's all quite difficult really, the only things that I find help really are my meds (sometimes but not always :/) and being drunk, the later is definitely not ideal especially if is a social situation where that would be inappropriate!

Nah not at all! :smile: It's always reassuring to know you're not the only one. :biggrin:

It's horrible. :frown:
I look like that too. :hugs: And I go shock white and my eyes go funny (big pupils :tongue: ). :colondollar: With that and the shaking/fidgeting it's soooo obvious to other people- I hate people noticing. :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by tasha96
Nah not at all! :smile: It's always reassuring to know you're not the only one. :biggrin:

It's horrible. :frown:
I look like that too. :hugs: And I go shock white and my eyes go funny (big pupils :tongue: ). :colondollar: With that and the shaking/fidgeting it's soooo obvious to other people- I hate people noticing. :s-smilie:

yeah, it's really awkward when people start staring and you wonder if it's cause of the anxiety and stuff :s-smilie:

:hugs:

yeah, it's really awkward when people start staring and you wonder if it's cause of the anxiety and stuff :s-smilie:

Yeah! It makes everything worse. :facepalm: And you end up going round in circles with it.

The anxiety is bad so you look bad, so people look at you because you look bad, so the anxiety gets worse because they look at you, so you look even worse... et cetera, et cetera. :tongue:

Reply 71
Original post by tasha96
Yeah! It makes everything worse. :facepalm: And you end up going round in circles with it.

The anxiety is bad so you look bad, so people look at you because you look bad, so the anxiety gets worse because they look at you, so you look even worse... et cetera, et cetera. :tongue:

yeah I know what you mean! I worry people can tell I am anxious and see my sweating and stuff and that makes me feel more anxious so the symptoms are worsened and yeah, it's definitely not good!

Original post by tooosh
If it's that bad then definitely get help. But most of the advice they'll give you will be similar - just starting with even smaller steps until you get to something you can do. Or start with the things you can already do and work upwards instead of downwards.
You can also get prescription meds if you get help. Are you sure the NHS won't cover it?

Yeah, I figured they'd probably just give me the same advice as books that's partly why I haven't got any help so far. I tried even the very tiniest of social interaction at uni and it went terribly wrong every time, I don't understand how I can further break it down.

I live in the US so I don't think it's likely the NHS would pay :tongue: I'm also on antidepressants already which are the common drug for anxiety but they don't seem to make any difference on that front. I've had propranolol in the past and have some diazepam too again neither really helps with enabling me to talk to people or do very basic things SA gets in the way of.

I joined up to a sports team today which is a massive step for me. I already guess how it's going to turn out - I'll go, won't be able to talk to anyone, will play like **** because of people watching, will get kicked out/will stop going on my own because I play like **** and make no friends. Really hoping I can manage it but not overly convinced. :sigh:

Yeah I do. I sweat a load, my heart goes really fast, I shake, vomit, get panic attacks, really bad diarrhea (nice!) basically everything combines to mean when I'm not locked in the bathroom I look totally crazy and unapproachable which further stops me making any progress with people. Sucks. :sad:

You could try propranolol for the physical effects, I found it helped a little with stuff like my heart rate but ultimately it didn't help me enough to enable me to overcome the social anxiety, but if it's mainly physical problems for you you should give it a go.
Reply 74
Original post by USRaphael
Yeah I do. I sweat a load, my heart goes really fast, I shake, vomit, get panic attacks, really bad diarrhea (nice!) basically everything combines to mean when I'm not locked in the bathroom I look totally crazy and unapproachable which further stops me making any progress with people. Sucks. :sad:

You could try propranolol for the physical effects, I found it helped a little with stuff like my heart rate but ultimately it didn't help me enough to enable me to overcome the social anxiety, but if it's mainly physical problems for you you should give it a go.

:console: that's awful yeah :/ panic attacks are definitely not good, I managed to have one before my exam earlier this year :facepalm2:

yeah I have propanolol and diazepam, for some reason they don't always work though :/ for me it's also like pre-anxiety, I feel insanely anxious about the thought of even going out, once I get out then it's a case of if the meds help great, if they don't then I just find a way to deal by drinking or something. it's a bit awkward really :/
Reply 75
I got a 7. Just don't like idea of giving presentations or acting in front of loads of people. Though, I find that if I know my stuff then I will feel confident.
Reply 76
Reply 77
I honestly can't believe how some of these scores are so high. I got 4/128, I'd be fascinated to see what people scored particular questions.

1 Fear: Taking a test of your ability, skill, or knowledge.
Who doesn't get a little bit nervy before an exam. Not sure what this has to do with social anxiety!?

1 Avoidance: Expressing disagreement or disapproval to someone you don’t know very well.
Not particularly bothered about other peoples views... Just not going to argue with someone I don't know, what's the point?!

2 Avoidance: Acting, performing, or speaking in front of an audience.
Acting/performing is cringe. I always hated drama... 'pretend to be a tree'. Nahhhh im alright thanks! Though I'd have no problem speaking in front of an audience.

edit; and I suffer from clinical anxiety. Just not social anxiety! My anxiety is a self manifestation of irrational thoughts, which in a way I guess is even more 'stupid' than social anxiety... at least people with SA can pinpoint the cause of their anxiety. I just tend to mentally explode whilst shaking like a heroin addict for no real reason at all, mentally wired for days on end until it stops... Or until I have a valium sandwich. :cool:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 78

Yeah, pretty much any social situation apart from when I'm with family I sweat a hell of a lot, 2 hour seminars at uni can be a nightmare and even with the counsellor I'm seeing I still sweat a lot and while I use anti-perspirant everyday it does nothing to stop it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
And tbh I'm not sure propanolol is for SA really, I had it prescribed to me but for exam anxiety (didn't want to mention the SA to my doctor really), and I've noticed very little difference when taking a 40mg tablet and I don't think it treat my specific symptoms, other than obviously slowing my heart down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest