The Student Room Group

Ums Question for Cambridge

Hi
I want to study Medicine at Cambridge uni. Today I got my as jan marks back
chem 95/100 A
maths 94/100 A
bio 95/100 A
physics 100/120 A (Disappointed)
I was just wondering if my lower physics ums would affect my ums average, im not planning on taking it for A2.
Also is it the average of the 3 highest ums values so maths bio and chem for me?
finally what ums average should I be aiming for?
Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Original post by Mo_maths
Hi
I want to study Medicine at Cambridge uni. Today I got my as jan marks back
chem 95/100 A
maths 94/100 A
bio 95/100 A
physics 100/120 A (Disappointed)
I was just wondering if my lower physics ums would affect my ums average, im not planning on taking it for A2.
Also is it the average of the 3 highest ums values so maths bio and chem for me?
finally what ums average should I be aiming for?
Thanks

I think they only look at the 3 relevant UMS scores and create an average.

A woman from Cambridge spoke to my year a few months back and she said an applicant called to interview has an average of 90+ UMS, whereas a successful applicants in receiving a conditional has 95+UMS.
Reply 3
Original post by ErHi?
I think they only look at the 3 relevant UMS scores and create an average.

A woman from Cambridge spoke to my year a few months back and she said an applicant called to interview has an average of 90+ UMS, whereas a successful applicants in receiving a conditional has 95+UMS.

But which out of these are the most relevant for medicine, they all look pretty relevant to me so would it just be my 3 best ones
Reply 4
But which out of these are the most relevant for medicine, they all look pretty relevant to me so would it just be my 3 best ones

Applicants must have AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics.

That's from the entry requirements so I'd say Chemistry, Biology, and not sure about Physics and Maths....
Reply 5
Original post by ErHi?
Applicants must have AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics.

That's from the entry requirements so I'd say Chemistry, Biology, and not sure about Physics and Maths....

they could be equally weighted, so maybe just my higher marked subject?
Reply 6
I have the same qs but about Engineering. My average right now is 91-92% after 4 exams. I am resitting one. How will one retake affect my chances? I have 6 more exams in the summer and aiming to do really well in those...
Reply 7
Original post by Frankster
I have the same qs but about Engineering. My average right now is 91-92% after 4 exams. I am resitting one. How will one retake affect my chances? I have 6 more exams in the summer and aiming to do really well in those...

its only the ave of 3 subjects btw so not all 4
Reply 8

Watup Franks! Great to find out your marks through TSR =P I think retaking should be fine, because ur retaking in June, so that should be before the main uni application!

If its maths, then I guess we cant do much about that - coj :frown: But, as long as you aim high for the next tests, then you will do well! :biggrin:
If ur talking about Chem/Physics, then remember that for our next exam, it is out of 140/150 UMS so you can bring up the overall average! I could show you 2moz in skl?
its only the ave of 3 subjects btw so not all 4

Slightly different with FM though
Frankster, it's quite difficult to say. I think if it's obvious it was a bad day and it's only one it should be a huge problem especially if you go on to do very well in the retake. You do probably wonder to be doing better overall though to be competitive.
Reply 10
Original post by micboy
Watup Franks! Great to find out your marks through TSR =P I think retaking should be fine, because ur retaking in June, so that should be before the main uni application!

If its maths, then I guess we cant do much about that - coj :frown: But, as long as you aim high for the next tests, then you will do well! :biggrin:
If ur talking about Chem/Physics, then remember that for our next exam, it is out of 140/150 UMS so you can bring up the overall average! I could show you 2moz in skl?

Thanks bro! what did you get? :tongue: Uhmmm aren't we meant to tell them our orig. ums mark before retake too? :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by tooambitious
Slightly different with FM though
Frankster, it's quite difficult to say. I think if it's obvious it was a bad day and it's only one it should be a huge problem especially if you go on to do very well in the retake. You do probably wonder to be doing better overall though to be competitive.

Thanks for your input. Hopefully if I can show my other maths modules and physics modules that I am capable of doing better than this, e.g. close to 100, would that put me in good stead?
Thanks for your input. Hopefully if I can show my other maths modules and physics modules that I am capable of doing better than this, e.g. close to 100, would that put me in good stead?

Yes, definitely :smile: best of luck. Worst case scenario, you can apply to a better university and go for Oxford :wink:
Reply 13
Yes, definitely :smile: best of luck. Worst case scenario, you can apply to a better university and go for Oxford :wink:

+ rep :wink:

+ rep :wink:

:teehee:
Of course I understand though :wink: if it does come down to it Oxford will love your gcses which is something (probably less important for engineering than E&M but still something)
Reply 15
:teehee:
Of course I understand though :wink: if it does come down to it Oxford will love your gcses which is something (probably less important for engineering than E&M but still something)

Yeah I see where you're coming from. I'm just kinda not tempted to sit the entrance paper for oxford. Idk why, but just I feel there's a greater chance of me getting into Cambridge rather than Oxford. But idk, I never really considered Oxford you see..
I've heard they look for > or equal to 95 UMS
Yeah I see where you're coming from. I'm just kinda not tempted to sit the entrance paper for oxford. Idk why, but just I feel there's a greater chance of me getting into Cambridge rather than Oxford. But idk, I never really considered Oxford you see..

I completely understand; I didn't look at Cambrdge until after January results day and very fleetingly.
This is where your gcses would help actually; Oxford usually select or interview mainly on the basis of admissions test and gcses.
If/ when you look you'll realise how much better it is :biggrin:
Reply 18
I completely understand; I didn't look at Cambrdge until after January results day and very fleetingly.
This is where your gcses would help actually; Oxford usually select or interview mainly on the basis of admissions test and gcses.
If/ when you look you'll realise how much better it is :biggrin:

Yeah I'm actually in two minds now, for the first time! And this time it isn't even 'fleetingly'. Thanks (!) :tongue:

But on the downside they only took in about 150 engineers last year, whereas Cambridge took in more than double.. O.o
Yeah I'm actually in two minds now, for the first time! And this time it isn't even 'fleetingly'. Thanks (!) :tongue:

But on the downside they only took in about 150 engineers last year, whereas Cambridge took in more than double.. O.o

:teehee: sorry :tongue:

Yeah, E&M is a small course compared to econ at Camb (89 compared to 200ish I think) but I don't think it's too much of a problem :dontknow: might even be a good thing (get to know lots of people doing your course, smaller lecture theatres (more cosy :wink:, easier to hear)) etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending