The Student Room Group

South Thames Deanery

Hi everyone,

I found out today I've been allocated South Thames deanery, but unfortunately am in the 10th (bottom) decile!

I was wondering if anyone knows what hospital/area I am likely to end up in (presumably the hospitals where no-one else wants to go?!).

I was hoping to go to Brighton or as 'west' as possible - does anyone know if Brighton spaces get filled up very quickly, or if there's any chance I may get there?

I would like a FY1 job in psychiatry, so hoping there are lots of people will be putting those jobs low and I may be lucky, as I've heard it's not a very popular rotation to choose?

Thanks!
Reply 1
The Brighton ones will be popular with Brighton grads, but I think the London ones are generally more popular. If you're happy to not have a year in London you're probably more likely to get one of your top choices - I would imagine that you'd have a decent chance at one of the South Coast DGHs even if not Brighton itself. I have done 3 years in different South Thames hospitals, but all in London, so don't know much about the non-London ones.

And yes, being willing/keen to do psych will probably also be good for you!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Buckets-and-Spades
Hi everyone,

I found out today I've been allocated South Thames deanery, but unfortunately am in the 10th (bottom) decile!

I was wondering if anyone knows what hospital/area I am likely to end up in (presumably the hospitals where no-one else wants to go?!).

I was hoping to go to Brighton or as 'west' as possible - does anyone know if Brighton spaces get filled up very quickly, or if there's any chance I may get there?

I would like a FY1 job in psychiatry, so hoping there are lots of people will be putting those jobs low and I may be lucky, as I've heard it's not a very popular rotation to choose?

Thanks!

Guess who else is also in this situation :p:

I'm just gonna rank what I want to do in order... can't really go wrong that way - even if I do go way down my list I'll still get something I hate less :p:
Reply 3
Original post by Helenia
The Brighton ones will be popular with Brighton grads, but I think the London ones are generally more popular. If you're happy to not have a year in London you're probably more likely to get one of your top choices. I have done 3 years in different South Thames hospitals, but all in London, so don't know much about the non-London ones.

And yes, being willing/keen to do psych will probably also be good for you!

Just out of curiosity, did that include both of your foundation years? If so, how did you manage that? I had been under the impression that doing FY1/2 in London meant spending one of those years "out" e.g. if you're at NETFS and did FY1 in The London, you might end up in Broomfield for FY2. Or similar. Thanks :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
Just out of curiosity, did that include both of your foundation years? If so, how did you manage that? I had been under the impression that doing FY1/2 in London meant spending one of those years "out" e.g. if you're at NETFS and did FY1 in The London, you might end up in Broomfield for FY2. Or similar. Thanks :smile:

I was supposed to be "out" for F2, but my partner (now husband) got cancer so I got special circumstances to stay within London, albeit still an hour's commute away, in order to be nearby to look after him while he was having treatment.
Reply 5
Original post by Helenia
I was supposed to be "out" for F2, but my partner (now husband) got cancer so I got special circumstances to stay within London, albeit still an hour's commute away, in order to be nearby to look after him while he was having treatment.

Ahh, I understand, thank you :smile:
Reply 6
I was sent on placements to Royal Surrey Hospital in Guildford and East Surrey Hospital in Redhill.

ESH is bigger and has, if I'm not mistaken, all the departments with some services offered at nearby Crawly Hospital. Redhill itself is your typical leafy Surrey town. It has a decent city centre but nice a villagey-looking as you travel outwards. It is just on the outskirts of the M25 and you can get to London in around 45mins.

RSH isn't as big, it seemed to me anyway (I was there once a week for neurology). But it offers a large mix of departments. Again, don't know much about Guildford as I was there only once a week but I know it's a larger city than Redhill.

These are my experiences of the KSS part.
Hello fellow STFSers. Came on here to ask for some advice but saw there was already a thread so thought I'd revive it....

So I'm basically making a huge move down south, and am really stuggling with ranking jobs as I know absolutely nothing about most of the hospitals/the area. I'd really like to do a year at one of the big London hospitals, but I think it's probably best saving that until F2, which leaves me DGH-ing it for F1. Also I think being able to move into hospital accommodation will make the move down a bit easier.

I was wondering if anyone could advise on where might be good to go/had any wisdom to share! I've got Maidstone, Tunbridge Wells, Eastbourne/Conquest, Margate, William Harvey, Canterbury, Medway, and the one in Chichester to pick from and am pretty clueless- basically want somewhere with a really good sense of community/social scene amongst the F1s as won't know anyone.

Thanks for any advice!
Reply 8
Original post by scaredmedic
Hello fellow STFSers. Came on here to ask for some advice but saw there was already a thread so thought I'd revive it....

So I'm basically making a huge move down south, and am really stuggling with ranking jobs as I know absolutely nothing about most of the hospitals/the area. I'd really like to do a year at one of the big London hospitals, but I think it's probably best saving that until F2, which leaves me DGH-ing it for F1. Also I think being able to move into hospital accommodation will make the move down a bit easier.

I was wondering if anyone could advise on where might be good to go/had any wisdom to share! I've got Maidstone, Tunbridge Wells, Eastbourne/Conquest, Margate, William Harvey, Canterbury, Medway, and the one in Chichester to pick from and am pretty clueless- basically want somewhere with a really good sense of community/social scene amongst the F1s as won't know anyone.

Thanks for any advice!

I was at Margate last year and I loved it. Best accommodation in South Thames if not one of the best in the country. It is a smallish DGH but very friendly. Margate isn't the nicest place to live in but Broadstairs in 10 mins away and Canterbury is 30 mins away. The reason I chose it was because I knew I wanted a DGH for F1, wanted to live near the sea, and wanted somewhere far-ish from London because if its too close everyone just disappears back to London at the weekends. I had the best year in Margate. There were 20 of us and we were quite close. We even went on holiday together! We all keep in touch now and meet up regularly despite being all over the place. Obviously it depends on the people but I was very lucky.

Tunbridge Wells is also good apparently and is obviously closer to London. Canterbury is where most of our mess nights were and is a nicer place to live, but is much more popular. Chichester apparently has the biggest mess budget in the country (taken with a pinch of salt) but that was my second choice. It's meant to be good fun.
Hi Scaredmedic! I'm in exactly the same position as you, I'm not from the area, and currently quite apprehensive/excited about making the move down south where I know no-one! Unfortunately I'm not in the same colour group as you, so don't know many of the hospitals you mentioned, but have asked a friend of a friend in London to let me know about some of the hospitals you've mentioned, so will let you know.

I've been allocated the green area, and am wondering if anyone can shed light on Chichester, Tunbridge Wells, and Brighton hospitals particularly? Are there any hospitals in the area that I should try and avoid?

Philosoraptor - good plan, think we should just rank what we like and see what we end up with!

I was hoping to do psychiatry as an FY1 job, as I'm fairly interested in it, however I'm slightly worried that I may be missing out with learning clinical skills etc, and may feel quite unprepared when I come to do my next rotation (particularly if psychiatry is my first rotation!). Has anyone had any experience of this?

Thanks again for any advice!
Thanks so much for the advice Sarky- really glad to hear that about Margate as it was one of the hospitals I liked the look of- think being by the sea would be lovely!

Bucket, I think if you're interested in psych you should just go for it- I think psych is one of those things you either love or hate and I reckon it would be good to spend a decent amount of time in it to rule it in or out for further down the line.....

Gosh....time to make some decisions and get ranking I think!!
Out of interest what was the cut off score for STFS this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carcinoma
Out of interest what was the cut off score for STFS this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 13
Hi all.

I've just been allocated the STFS and am at a bit of a loss regarding which colour area I should choose. I was hoping to pick a less popular colour area in the hopes of increasing my chances of getting a place I would like to work in August. The only problem is I'm not exactly sure where that is be yet!

I really do like the sound of Brighton and would be willing to sacrifice my year in London to go there. Does anybody know how popular the Brighton jobs are and roughly what decile one would need to be in to get a job there?

However, if Brighton is not an option, I'm still at a bit of a loss as to which London hospital I should apply to. I think Kings and Guys/Thomas is probably off the cards for me which leaves George's and a few others like Croydon, Lewisham etc. Does anybody have any advice regarding (a) how popular these other London hospitals are and (b) which hospitals are better to work in than others?

Any information about which of the London hospitals have good on-site accommodation would also be fantastic...am moving over to London for the first time so would be keen to minimise rent costs initially!!

Thanks a mill,
E
Original post by scaredmedic
Thanks so much for the advice Sarky- really glad to hear that about Margate as it was one of the hospitals I liked the look of- think being by the sea would be lovely!

Bucket, I think if you're interested in psych you should just go for it- I think psych is one of those things you either love or hate and I reckon it would be good to spend a decent amount of time in it to rule it in or out for further down the line.....

Gosh....time to make some decisions and get ranking I think!!

I grew up in Margate :tongue: And was born there...

Being by the beach is quite nice in the summer months. And Margate beach isn't the only beach in the area (there are loads!). The beach in Broadstairs (Viking Bay) is the nicer one. And all sand beaches :awesome:
Hi guys,

Thought I would see if this thread is still going! I'm currently considering a move down South (FPAS deadline in 5 days ah!) but I'm quite keen to do neuro so would like a neuro FY2 job if possible. I know the STFS FY1/FY2 jobs are split, so we can't see any of the F2 jobs and there don't seem to be any neuro jobs in the F1 programmes. Does anyone know of or have any experience of the chances of doing neuro F2 in this STFS? Would definitely make my decision easier!
Many thanks for any info :smile:
Original post by Democracy
Ahh, I understand, thank you :smile:

Back when you were a medical student and asking for help, cute..
Original post by Anonymous
Back when you were a medical student and asking for help, cute..

I still ask for help anonymous person :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending