The Student Room Group

When to start revising for AS level exams in May?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yoyo94
Hi, thanks for your input. I appreciate your questions and I hope the below will be satisfactory and convincing!
Since maths is my favourite A-Level subject, I happen to also be taking further maths. I find the best way to "revise" for maths is by practising. I have put revise in quotation marks because I don't think revise is the correct word to use when referring to maths exam preparation because all that's required is the completion of all past papers and the completion of all book questions (if possible). The moment you finish all book questions as well as past papers, you should feel prepared. The only time I would use revise is when referring to statistics or mechanics (mainly statistics though!) as these are the applied modules that require you to learn specific formulae, etc.

To be more clear, maths preparation is quite simple. Sit down, read and copy down the examples (with understanding, not just copy/paste. In fact, I would recommend that you look at the example and attempt the question before actually reading the worked solutions) and then do the exercises. I'm not sure about which modules you're sitting for which exam board, but I can tell you that you should finish all the questions/past papers at least a week before your exams. This will leave you some time to ask any teachers for any problems you're facing so that everything's sorted before the exam.

Another tip: Maths is more to do with understanding than memorising. I feel that sometimes you have to memorise steps to understand why you have to take them to reach a solution. This is how my brains work at times - I have to memorise how to get a solution to a particular type of question in order to understand why certain steps need to be taken. Then, after memorising and understanding, attempt the questions, then do past papers. This will consolidate your understanding and will make you able to recall how to answer that type of question during the exam. If you can't understand something, always ask. The answers to your questions will also be recalled during the exam, trust me! :smile:

Good luck! If you have any more questions, just ask!

Thanks for your response.
Well, I'm doing Edexcel and doing stats modules and fp2 as well and decision. So roughly when would you say I should get the content done by? End of March or?

Same with Economics...when would I have to finish the content by in terms of writing notes?
Reply 61
Original post by llitt
My first exam is on the 14 May (USA History). I started some light revision 14 March (2 months before exam) and plan to start full-on Easter. Is that ok? Or should I start full on now, bearing in mind we haven't been taught the courses fully yet.

Is it the AQA USA 1890-1945 paper? I sat that last year, if I were you I would start in the Easter holidays - not too early but not too late either. I made the mistake of leaving it very late to start my revision for this paper last year and came out with a C, so ended up retaking again in Jan
Reply 62
Original post by Robbie242
Is it bad then I set my alarm for 7am and got working until now with a 3hour interval of divided breaks throughout the day? Personally I like the feeling of getting caught up, and rarely I get frustrated with my revision. But at the moment all I do is copy each lesson we do in neat and with added information (as often in lessons you'll fall behind due to the overwhelming amount of content. I think my problem is though mastering what exam boards want me to do, with maths its straight forward; they want the answer with history and economics its really hard to figure out.

(I was getting A's before the exam then got B and C) Do you know anyway I can prevent that this time? I worked since September had all the content down, supposedly had the exam technique down according to breakdown of mock marks but then it didn't show up A on my results paper (when I was expecting A that is due to the hard-work).
Hopefully I'm not going of on a tangent, but what would you recommend to do well in the actual exam, It seems like each time they're looking for something different

Hi, I appreciate your question.

Well, to address your first concern, what you are doing when you work for very long hours is very respectable and I would advise you to continue like that. I am also a very hard worker, especially because I do 4 A2s. Don't think it is bad, it is actually one of the best things you can do for your future, so keep it up!

When I was talking about frustration, I was referring to the frustration you get when you become stressful about exams approaching if you haven't done a satisfactory amount of revision. I personally don't get this because I ensure that I do enough revision before I walk into the exam hall to sit my exam. Others who leave revision too late often get this frustration, so I was warning OP about the possibility of frustration if revision was left too late and if one day OP decided to start revising when he's simply not used to it.

The fact that you are copying down your notes in neat is also very advantageous because it not only allows you to refresh your memory and recall certain concepts, it also allows you to have easy to read notes when revising for exams a few days before you sit them. This is also early revision which you are possibly doing instead of watching the telly and playing video games, so it is good that you are not wasting your time.

As for your problem with mastering exam techniques, everybody has this same problem. It is only through past papers that you pick those up, and possibly also from quality teaching. The same applies for physics; one year they ask a question and expect a set of answers, and another year they ask a very similar question and expect a completely different set of answers. I suppose they achieve this "trickery" by creating subtle differences in the wording of the questions to confuse as many candidates as they possibly could to filter out "good" candidates from "bad" candidates. This then brings forth the idea of unfairness, etc.. but you should always keep in mind that you have to get it right on the day, no matter how smart you are.

Just do as many past papers as possible, memorise key words, make notes and read your book/notes more than once. This is why you shouldn't leave it till Easter, it's a lot of work to get done!

Good luck! If you have any other questions, please do ask!
Reply 63
Original post by llitt
Seriously? Full on revision today? You are a year younger than me so how do you know?

just my opinion based on a levels being difficult, mate.
Reply 64
Original post by theseeker
Thanks for your response.
Well, I'm doing Edexcel and doing stats modules and fp2 as well and decision. So roughly when would you say I should get the content done by? End of March or?

Same with Economics...when would I have to finish the content by in terms of writing notes?

Hi, well I'm not sure about economics as it's not one of my A-Level subjects. However, you should ideally get them done and give yourself enough time to do all the past papers before your exam. Perhaps by the end of the Easter break?

With regards to maths, it seems like you're doing further maths as well, as you've listed FP2 and Decision. I'm also sitting D1, FP2 and S3 this June and I finished D1, 6/8 chapters of FP2 and more than half of S3 content-wise. I still did not make notes on S3 but I made notes on 2-3 chapters of FP2 so far. Ideally, for me, I am trying to finish all notes by the end of Easter. Most of the content should be covered by now, but if it's not done by Easter, you should try to learn it yourself during the Easter break.
Reply 65
Original post by Yoyo94
Hi, I appreciate your question.

Well, to address your first concern, what you are doing when you work for very long hours is very respectable and I would advise you to continue like that. I am also a very hard worker, especially because I do 4 A2s. Don't think it is bad, it is actually one of the best things you can do for your future, so keep it up!

When I was talking about frustration, I was referring to the frustration you get when you become stressful about exams approaching if you haven't done a satisfactory amount of revision. I personally don't get this because I ensure that I do enough revision before I walk into the exam hall to sit my exam. Others who leave revision too late often get this frustration, so I was warning OP about the possibility of frustration if revision was left too late and if one day OP decided to start revising when he's simply not used to it.

The fact that you are copying down your notes in neat is also very advantageous because it not only allows you to refresh your memory and recall certain concepts, it also allows you to have easy to read notes when revising for exams a few days before you sit them. This is also early revision which you are possibly doing instead of watching the telly and playing video games, so it is good that you are not wasting your time.

As for your problem with mastering exam techniques, everybody has this same problem. It is only through past papers that you pick those up, and possibly also from quality teaching. The same applies for physics; one year they ask a question and expect a set of answers, and another year they ask a very similar question and expect a completely different set of answers. I suppose they achieve this "trickery" by creating subtle differences in the wording of the questions to confuse as many candidates as they possibly could to filter out "good" candidates from "bad" candidates. This then brings forth the idea of unfairness, etc.. but you should always keep in mind that you have to get it right on the day, no matter how smart you are.

Just do as many past papers as possible, memorise key words, make notes and read your book/notes more than once. This is why you shouldn't leave it till Easter, it's a lot of work to get done!

Good luck! If you have any other questions, please do ask!
Cheers for the informative post, its not maths I have problems with its those heavy exam technique subjects; but I'm getting my scripts back so I should be able to see where I went wrong especially history which was low C
Reply 66
Cheers for the informative post, its not maths I have problems with its those heavy exam technique subjects; but I'm getting my scripts back so I should be able to see where I went wrong especially history which was low C

Any time! :smile: Good luck with your revision! :biggrin: If you can't understand where you went wrong in your scripts, go over them with your teachers - they're obliged to help you! :biggrin:
Reply 67
Original post by llitt
I love it! Want to study US history with Modern history at UEA!!!

How are you revising USA history??
Reply 68
Is it bad then I set my alarm for 7am and got working until now with a 3hour interval of divided breaks throughout the day? Personally I like the feeling of getting caught up, and rarely I get frustrated with my revision. But at the moment all I do is copy each lesson we do in neat and with added information (as often in lessons you'll fall behind due to the overwhelming amount of content. I think my problem is though mastering what exam boards want me to do, with maths its straight forward; they want the answer with history and economics its really hard to figure out.

(I was getting A's before the exam then got B and C) Do you know anyway I can prevent that this time? I worked since September had all the content down, supposedly had the exam technique down according to breakdown of mock marks but then it didn't show up A on my results paper (when I was expecting A that is due to the hard-work).
Hopefully I'm not going of on a tangent, but what would you recommend to do well in the actual exam, It seems like each time they're looking for something different

Well for Edexcel there are these things called Exam Reports. Basically shows top answers and crap answers from students on past papers, and gives advice on how to answer them properly. I'd say read through some of these before you get started on the past papers. It gives you an idea of what they actually want to see from you in exams.

Quick Reply

Latest