The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BUMP
Reply 2
Change your name??? No-ones gonna care about how professional you're name sounds unless its something like Dick Suckmeoff
Reply 3
Original post by Albino
Change your name??? No-ones gonna care about how professional you're name sounds unless its something like Dick Suckmeoff

Lol..
Firstly, I think its great name; Oliver. Of course Oli isn't a professional name at all, but I'm sure you would get called Oliver in your place of work etc.

But secondly, if you really don't like it. You can change it. I know someone who came to uni who changed his name. More by accident, as at home he gets called by his middle name, but at university the professors started calling him by his first and it stuck. It's probably quite hard to do it in the middle of school, and asking everyone to do so. But it's entirely possible if you go to uni, start a new job etc.

Personally I would never be able to start responding to my middle name. And I wouldn't realise people were talking to me!
Would probably be quite difficult to get anyone who already knows you well to switch.

If you wanted to change your name, you wouldn't have to do anything really, you could just start filling out forms and introducing yourself as "Gareth". You'd need to change your passport and other things like that, but otherwise there's no legal procedure.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/relationships_e/relationships_birth_certificates_and_changing_your_name_e/change_of_name.htm
Reply 6
Surely it's gonna be hard to get everyone who already knows you as oliver to call you something else? hell it was hard enough to get people to call me will, everyone who's known me since primary school age still calls me william, its just what they know me as, so I say good luck to you.
Original post by madfish
Hey

I basically hate my first name "oliver" or "olly" it really doesn't suite me and I just cringe anytime I hear it

I much prefer my middle name "Gareth" it sounds lot more professional and just is an all round better name

I just feel people can't take someone with the name "olly" or "oliver" very serious?

I am 17 years of age.

Is this common? How Should I do it?

I think Olly's a much better name than Gareth... Gareth sounds a little camp, no offence to any Gareths reading this. :cool:
Reply 8
I think Oliver/Olly is... People do not judge on a name. And like albino says your name is not dick suckmeoff.

But if it is really getting to you, just tell people to call you Gareth, including teachers, co workers and so on.
Reply 9
I like the name Oliver, it's a lot better than my name (Cameron) which means crooked nose...
Reply 10
Original post by SheldonWannabe
I think Olly's a much better name than Gareth... Gareth sounds a little camp, no offence to any Gareths reading this. :cool:

haha, I don't know but "oliver" doesn't suite me.... sounds like such a dorkish name

I cringe everytime I hear it
Reply 11
I also think Oliver is really posh :rolleyes:
Assuming you're going away to university next year, simply leave home as loliver and arrive on campus as gareth, perhaps having first gotten in touch with the admin staff in the department to explain that you're known by your middle name. Nothing simpler, and I know a number of people who ditched unfavoured names like that.
Reply 13
I think you can't change the people you already know only the new faces you mean by introducing yourself as "Gareth"

Hope it helps xx
If my name were Oliver Gareth Whatsit, I'd go by "O.G.". Could you pull it off, mind?
Original post by madfish
haha, I don't know but "oliver" doesn't suite me.... sounds like such a dorkish name

I cringe everytime I hear it

I think Oliver sounds slightly posh, and actually posh and professional kind of go hand in hand. I would say, get your friends and family to call you Olly, as this is a pretty young name. And then at work, interviews, etc. Ask them to call you Oliver, but I would advise not to be called Gareth. :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by SheldonWannabe
I think Oliver sounds slightly posh, and actually posh and professional kind of go hand in hand. I would say, get your friends and family to call you Olly, as this is a pretty young name. And then at work, interviews, etc. Ask them to call you Oliver, but I would advise not to be called Gareth. :tongue:

But being called Oliver makes you sound like a douche

you sound like a boss saying "The names Gareth":cool:
Reply 17
How is Gareth better than Oliver :confused:
Original post by madfish

Assistant to the Regional Manager.
Original post by madfish

Are you high right now? :lolwut:

Latest