The Student Room Group

LNAT preparation

Hi,
I don't know how to prepare for LNAT because the online tests do not give answers and the official website says not to spend money on a course or textbook as they are usually unhelpful.
Can anyone give me any advice on how to prepare for it?
I need help for the MCQs and the essay based section too.
Also I have heard some say that keeping up with current affairs is really important to do good for the essay section, so I wanted to ask if I will primarily be judged on that, or on my essay skills.
Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by maheen001
Hi,
I don't know how to prepare for LNAT because the online tests do not give answers and the official website says not to spend money on a course or textbook as they are usually unhelpful.
Also I have heard some say that keeping up with current affairs is really important to do good for the essay section, so I wanted to ask if I will primarily be judged on that, or on my essay skills.
Thank you!

The ones on their website (the PDF ones) are good practice so you should do those. Being well-informed with current affairs will enable you to write a better essay that's why they say it, so will a general knowledge of politics and philosophy. I recommend buying the middle (can't remember it's name now) package of a website called Arbitio. It's worth it definitely. Don't be put off by their model essays though because they are ridiculously good and no one could conceivably write that in 45 mins. Hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 2
Hi,
Thank you!

Hi, I'd second what the first poster said, Arbitio was probably the thing I spent the most time on, but there are a bunch of other free websites that provide LNAT prep stuff.
For the essay section, my essay was on something that had been in the news a few weeks prior to my actual exam, but you're given a choice of three so you should be able to find something you can write about easily. I think your essay skills and being able to come up with convincing arguments is more important, keeping up with current affairs will just make sure you have a vague idea of potential arguments and context for your essay (e.g. if you were given an essay title on economics, you could briefly mention inflation and the cost of living crisis)
Reply 3
Original post by jlpd
The ones on their website (the PDF ones) are good practice so you should do those. Being well-informed with current affairs will enable you to write a better essay that's why they say it, so will a general knowledge of politics and philosophy. I recommend buying the middle (can't remember it's name now) package of a website called Arbitio. It's worth it definitely. Don't be put off by their model essays though because they are ridiculously good and no one could conceivably write that in 45 mins. Hope that helps! :smile:

Thank you so much!
Reply 4
Original post by Emmie85
Hi, I'd second what the first poster said, Arbitio was probably the thing I spent the most time on, but there are a bunch of other free websites that provide LNAT prep stuff.
For the essay section, my essay was on something that had been in the news a few weeks prior to my actual exam, but you're given a choice of three so you should be able to find something you can write about easily. I think your essay skills and being able to come up with convincing arguments is more important, keeping up with current affairs will just make sure you have a vague idea of potential arguments and context for your essay (e.g. if you were given an essay title on economics, you could briefly mention inflation and the cost of living crisis)

Thank you!
Yeah, I used Arbitio and found it helpful. It's good because of how hard it is, meaning the actual LNAT won't be as bad. I got like an avrg of 23 on Arbitio then 29 on the real thing so I'd say it helps. I had a bad essay so idk how to help you there, but I'd say it's important to nail an essay plan that you'll use no matter what.
Reply 6
Thank you so much!

No probs. Reading the essay guidance in Letters to a Law Student is also a good idea. Shout if you have any more qs :smile:
I agree, I found arbitio really helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending