The Student Room Group

postgraduate certificate

Hi

I was studying for a water resources MSc but had to switch to a postgraduate certificate because I had personal issues which were affecting my studies. Is having a postgraduate certificate instead of a masters going to harm my chances of finding a job, and would I be able to still apply for jobs that require a MSc if I mention the extenuating circumstances?
Reply 1
Original post by ald123
Hi

I was studying for a water resources MSc but had to switch to a postgraduate certificate because I had personal issues which were affecting my studies. Is having a postgraduate certificate instead of a masters going to harm my chances of finding a job, and would I be able to still apply for jobs that require a MSc if I mention the extenuating circumstances?

Speak to an education advisor in your students' union about exhausting all possible avenues first. If you didn't submit evidence of your personal circumstances, there might be an opportunity to still. If you did, and they weren't accepted, then you might be able to appeal the decision.

Having the certificate is going to look better than not having one, and it's all experience and skills you can demonstrate to potential employers :smile:

Whether or not the certificate + ECs is accepted in place of an MSc is completely up to the employer in question - many will be flexible providing you make an effort to explain everything before submitting some standard application that might get thrown out without knowing why you've applied :smile:
Reply 2
Hi

Original post by DarkWhite
Speak to an education advisor in your students' union about exhausting all possible avenues first. If you didn't submit evidence of your personal circumstances, there might be an opportunity to still. If you did, and they weren't accepted, then you might be able to appeal the decision.

I had to hand in a personal circumstances form so that I could continue studying and it was accepted. I'd rather do the masters than the certificate because it would look better on my CV than the certificate, but I can't do 180 credits in six months.

I'm worried that the certificate will make it harder to get a job
Reply 3
Original post by ald123
Hi

I had to hand in a personal circumstances form so that I could continue studying and it was accepted. I'd rather do the masters than the certificate because it would look better on my CV than the certificate, but I can't do 180 credits in six months.

I'm worried that the certificate will make it harder to get a job

Again, speak to an advisor in your students' union - they're independent, impartial, and confidential.

There's normally ways of appealing decisions or applying for other ECs, but every university is different and people here probably can't advise!

A Masters will look better on your CV than the certificate, but that doesn't mean the certificate is worthless - it demonstrates a lot in its ownright :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by DarkWhite
A Masters will look better on your CV than the certificate, but that doesn't mean the certificate is worthless - it demonstrates a lot in its ownright :smile:

I got my undergraduate degree in 2011, so at least by having the certificate and volunteering on my CV it shows that I've done something since i got my undergrad.

I'll have to try the careers center and see if that can give me any advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending